• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirriccus
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

1,000 Yard Comparison - SST vs AMAX

Here's my 6.5 Grendel setup. Just broke her in the Saturday before last and have taken her out twice since then.

IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG

Shilen 20" HBAR 1/9 Threaded 5/8x24 with Surefire MB762 QD Brake
    Shilen Match Bolt
    JP Enterprises Adjustable Gas Block
    Midwest Industries 15" Gen II Keymod Rail
    Juggernaut Tacital 80% Billet Receiver Set
    Lantac ECT-1 3# Flat Trigger
    Vortex HS LR 2.5-10x32 FFP
    American Defense AD Recon 30 QD Cantilever Mount

I've run factory Hornady 123 gr. SST, Hornady 123 gr. AMAX, and a couple very conservative handloads. It's all done alright thus far.

Zero'd at 300 yards with a 38 MPH crosswind (that was not fun shooting in). She held her own with a 3.4" group several times. Shocked at 6.5 Grendel's ability to deflect wind.

The next weekend (this past Sunday), I took her out straight to 1,000 yards. Hardly any wind (7-8 MPH). Hornady 123 gr. SST's found the 16" gong on the third shot. Dialed 34 MOA with zero windage.

First group - 4/8 hits
    Second group - 5/8 hits

Next was the Hornady 123 gr. AMAX.

First group - 6/8 hits
    Seconds group - 7/8 hits

Repeated again with very similar results. Found that my rifle likes the AMAX more at distance. So did my friends 6.5 Grendel setup with 19" Lija barrel and Omega 30 can.

Running OWC (Optimal Weight Charge) and ladder tests this upcoming weekend with SMK 123 gr. HPBT's and Hornady 123 gr. ELD-M's with 8208 XBR, TAC, and Varget. All Hornady brass at COAL of 2.255" (.010 off lands) to start. After that, I'll take her back out to 1,000 and get some good DOPE and hopefully group decently with some practice.

I'm also throwing a Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 today or tomorrow considering the distances she's going to be pushed out.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences and gaining data from all of yours.
    Last edited by sirriccus; 12-07-2016, 09:49 PM.
    Ricky Raus
    Owner
    Elite Defense Systems
    HIIT Life Fitness

If you're in Vegas and want to shoot long range (1,000-1760 yards), get a gun worked on (polymer framed pistols especially), or get a workout in, shoot me a call.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Great looking rifle and sounds like you have a real shooter. I also have a 20" Shilen and it's a keeper. Just curious at what elevation your shooting. I've considered a Vortex 2.5-10X32 Vortex for my 16" Faxon. I assume your Vortex scope had enough internal adjustment to get to 1000 yards (34 MOA)? I know your swapping scopes so do you feel you need more than 10 power magnification at 1000 yards. I put a 20 MOA mount on my Shilen but I usually shoot at 350'-400' ASL. Decisions decisions but part of the fun.

My go to load for my Shilen is 31.0 grains CFE with CCI 450 primers in Lapua cases at 2.255 COAL with 123 Nosler CC. This load is MOA or better out to 880 yards for me. This load matches or exceeds the velocity I get for factory Hornady 123 grain A-Max depending on lot number.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-07-2016, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Nice looking rifle.

Don't waste your time or components on Varget espically at 1000 yds, you won't get the velocity.

Great shooting too BTW.....

Comment

• sirriccus
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        Great looking rifle and sounds like you have a real shooter. I also have a 20" Shilen and it's a keeper. Just curious at what elevation your shooting. I've considered a Vortex 2.5-10X32 Vortex for my 16" Faxon. I assume your Vortex scope had enough internal adjustment to get to 1000 yards (34 MOA)? I know your swapping scopes so do you feel you need more than 10 power magnification at 1000 yards. I put a 20 MOA mount on my Shilen but I usually shoot at 350'-400' ASL. Decisions decisions but part of the fun.

My go to load for my Shilen is 31.0 grains CFE with CCI 450 primers in Lapua cases at 2.255 COAL with 123 Nosler CC. This load is MOA or better out to 880 yards for me. This load matches or exceeds the velocity I get for factory Hornady 123 grain A-Max depending on lot number.
        Elevation 2,028 ft.
        48 degrees
        Barometric pressure 30.17
        Wind 7-8 MPH
        Density altitude 2,574 ft.

It was exactly 34 MOA internal adjustment so it was maxed out at 1,000 yards with that ammo on that day. The Vortex Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 is an awesome scope and it is more than capable at 1,000 yards (I'm evidence of that considering I'm not the best of shooters). I just rather have more optic considering I'm going to try and push 1,200-1,400 yards once I get a handload that has the velocity to drive out.

With a 20 MOA mount, it would be perfect. That's what I intend on doing regardless. Zeroing at 300-400 yards helps as well.

I have yet to load CFE, but everyone Grendel wise seems to love the stuff so I'll certainly need to try it sometime soon. Thanks for sharing!
        Ricky Raus
        Owner
        Elite Defense Systems
        HIIT Life Fitness

If you're in Vegas and want to shoot long range (1,000-1760 yards), get a gun worked on (polymer framed pistols especially), or get a workout in, shoot me a call.

Comment

• sirriccus
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
          Nice looking rifle.

Don't waste your time or components on Varget espically at 1000 yds, you won't get the velocity.

Great shooting too BTW.....
          Thanks! I'm sure you're right, but I want some inform on it regardless. I'm not betting on it giving me any great results though.
          Ricky Raus
          Owner
          Elite Defense Systems
          HIIT Life Fitness

Comment

• jeffreybehr
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by sirriccus View Post
            I have yet to load CFE, but everyone Grendel wise seems to love the stuff so I'll certainly need to try it sometime soon.
            I've assembled a spreadsheet of 6.5G maximum loads from a half-dozen sources; e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net and I'll send you a copy. Two separate sources confirm that CFE223 generates the highest velocities with 120-123g. bullet.
            A shootist and reloadist for more than 50 years, this year with black rifles.

Comment

• sirriccus
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by jeffreybehr View Post
              I've assembled a spreadsheet of 6.5G maximum loads from a half-dozen sources; e-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net and I'll send you a copy. Two separate sources confirm that CFE223 generates the highest velocities with 120-123g. bullet.
              I actually emailed you earlier this afternoon. Thank you for the offer and work you put into it.
              Ricky Raus
              Owner
              Elite Defense Systems
              HIIT Life Fitness

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Elevation 2,028 ft.
                48 degrees
                Barometric pressure 30.17
                Wind 7-8 MPH
                Density altitude 2,574 ft.

It was exactly 34 MOA internal adjustment so it was maxed out at 1,000 yards with that ammo on that day. The Vortex Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 is an awesome scope and it is more than capable at 1,000 yards (I'm evidence of that considering I'm not the best of shooters). I just rather have more optic considering I'm going to try and push 1,200-1,400 yards once I get a handload that has the velocity to drive out.

With a 20 MOA mount, it would be perfect. That's what I intend on doing regardless. Zeroing at 300-400 yards helps as well.

I have yet to load CFE, but everyone Grendel wise seems to love the stuff so I'll certainly need to try it sometime soon. Thanks for sharing!
                Thanks sirriccus for the info. I think the 2.5-10X32 will be light enough to still make my Faxon build handy and a 20 MOA mount will ensure I have enough elevation to reach where my bullets go subsonic.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Here's a rapid-fired 6rd group at 1000yds from a Lilja 318 barreled 1/8 twist, lightweight Grendel with a 31.2gr load of CFE under the 123gr AMAX:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sirriccus
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2016

That makes me feel very inadequate as a shooter. LOL Is that 1/8-1/4 MOA?

Absolutely fantastic shooting. I need to practice more.
                    Ricky Raus
                    Owner
                    Elite Defense Systems
                    HIIT Life Fitness

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

That makes me feel very inadequate as a shooter. LOL Is that 1/8-1/4 MOA?

Absolutely fantastic shooting. I need to practice more.
                      It's 8" vertical and 4" horizontal. The other larger impacts are from 178gr Hornady fired from a Knight's SR25 at one of my courses.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Redomen
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

Beautiful rifle!

Comment

• DJudge
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2017

Great looking rifle and super grouping at that range.

Comment

• shooter545
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2012

Very nice looking rifle!!

Comment

• kevperro
                              Bloodstained
                              • Apr 2017

Awesome shooting... wish I had a 1000 yard range in my neighborhood.

Comment

Working...
                              X