Clear All
  • Q-Man
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

On my Lilja 318 18" barrel with factory 123gr SST in maybe 70 F, nice pleasant day.

2471 avg 48 ES

On another 18" Lilja barrel same day, same 123gr SST factory ammo:

2455fps

With 31.2gr of CFE under 123gr SST, same day:

2435fps avg

You're somewhere around a degree / foot of sensitivity from what we've seen with cooler tests in the summer. NugginFutz might remember better than me.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Nachunter
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2016

I started a thread a couple months ago related to my AA 18" 1:7.5 Lite barrel. With my Beta Master Shooting Chrony I measure 2532fps AVG muzzle velocity with factory 123AMAX. Measured @ 12ft , 68F, 49.9% HUM, 29.77 Bar., January 2nd... recorded 2532FPS multiple times on separate occasions. This is ammo from about 3 years ago, so maybe its a little hotter.. I'll get the Lot# and edit post later.

Definitely seems higher than other 18" barrels I've seen posted here. I will add link to my thread when I can find it. I need to update information collected over the last couples months, and ask the Hordes opinion on whether I'm over pressured or not... judging by my cases I don't think so... primers are flat, but that's not a definite sign... no powder blown out around primer, pierced primers, head separation, extractor gouge, etc.. I don't have a headspace gauge or case gauge and am not an expert, so will just like to have an opinion... seems this chamber has a very tight throat (may not be the proper term I'm looking for). With my Hornady comparator (.254"ID) 123AMAX are touching the throat @ 1.655"... Anyway I will add a link and update this info with pics in a separate thread.

LR52,
        What velocity(accuracy) nodes have you seen with 18" barrels?... any experience with 1:7.5 AA barrels? I seem to have one around 2515-2535fps (MAX node) and also 2465-2485fps (27.4 XBR) with this barrel... what is the minimum velocity

Comment

• Niles Coyote
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2016

I'm interested to see your findings on this project. One thing I would suggest though is to be sure to have fired 100-150 rounds through the barrel and also clean it a couple times prior to testing.

There was a similar test about a year ago on a 6.5 creedmoor that I suspect was new or nearly new and because of this the results were skewed making it look like the barrel sped up about 50 rounds in and 2 inches shorter than the start length.

I have had many custom barrels do the same including my new Bartlein grendel barrel. From round count 0-75 I deep clean the bore, the next time at the range with same loads fired it had gained about 20 fps after five fouling shots. I used a Magnetospeed for velocity tracking. The fouling shots were logged to track clean cold bore and following four.

It will be interesting to see how much your bore wonders from its original clocking.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Nachunter View Post
            I started a thread a couple months ago related to my AA 18" 1:7.5 Lite barrel. With my Beta Master Shooting Chrony I measure 2532fps AVG muzzle velocity with factory 123AMAX. Measured @ 12ft , 68F, 49.9% HUM, 29.77 Bar., January 2nd... recorded 2532FPS multiple times on separate occasions. This is ammo from about 3 years ago, so maybe its a little hotter.. I'll get the Lot# and edit post later.

Definitely seems higher than other 18" barrels I've seen posted here. I will add link to my thread when I can find it. I need to update information collected over the last couples months, and ask the Hordes opinion on whether I'm over pressured or not... judging by my cases I don't think so... primers are flat, but that's not a definite sign... no powder blown out around primer, pierced primers, head separation, extractor gouge, etc.. I don't have a headspace gauge or case gauge and am not an expert, so will just like to have an opinion... seems this chamber has a very tight throat (may not be the proper term I'm looking for). With my Hornady comparator (.254"ID) 123AMAX are touching the throat @ 1.655"... Anyway I will add a link and update this info with pics in a separate thread.

LR52,
            What velocity(accuracy) nodes have you seen with 18" barrels?... any experience with 1:7.5 AA barrels? I seem to have one around 2515-2535fps (MAX node) and also 2465-2485fps (27.4 XBR) with this barrel... what is the minimum velocity
            AA barrels seem to get more speed, which has something to do with what they spec, but you also have a variation from barrel to barrel that is normal.

I have a 16" AA barrel, so maybe that is why it shoots the same speeds as 18" from other companies. Rifling depth may have something to do with it.

With my Lilja 3 groove 18", I am quite happy with 123gr AMAX over 31.2gr CFE, which is not a max load in a SAAMI chamber at 2.260" COL. Ragged 10rd group hole at 100yds, still sub-MOA at 1000yds for 6rd rapid-fired.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X