• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redraider
    Warrior
    • May 2012

magnetospeed $180.00 or $380.00

Hey Guys,

I have never had a chronograph before, and, as I want to be able to check my reloads, is there someone here with experience that can give me the high points between these two? I mean, what in the world does one do to be worth that much more? I won't be doing any ballistics studies for a PHD, but I do want to be able to get the needed info.

Thanks in advance

Redraider
  • SG4247
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

I have the V3 and like it very much. Will the V2 work? Yes it will.

Try the V2, and if needed, you can upgrade to V3 later.

BTW MS are very accurate, as accurate as labradar in my testing!
    NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Schrambo
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

I had the V2, liked it, but had to upgrade to the V3 to chronograph my airgun... Apparently, the V2 can't see the little pills...

Comment

• Redomen
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

I purchased the V3 when I had a birthday discount from a web site. I took the Hordes advice on Magnetospeed vs other brands and I am glad that I did. It is easy to set up and use. Whichever one you decide on I am sure you will be pleased. I had the money and discount and didn't want to buy the V2 and then regret not buying the V3.

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

I was in the same situation. The Sporter has a very basic display and doesn't store as much data and the V3. I decided I could write down my info after every string of five shots and pocket the cash. Note that, at least in my case, accuracy is affected hanging that bayonet on the barrel. This means recording velocity and checking for accuracy takes two steps instead of one as on a screen-type chrono. On the other hand you don't have to worry about lighting conditions, shooting your screen or stopping a course of fire to go down range to set up. I've been very happy. Performance has been flawless.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• nuthead
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

Interesting that you found the magnetospeed affected the group sizes - was it a thin barrel? I've only really tested it on bull barreled rifles and it just shifts the point of impact on those

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
              Interesting that you found the magnetospeed affected the group sizes - was it a thin barrel? I've only really tested it on bull barreled rifles and it just shifts the point of impact on those
              Perhaps I should have said it shifts the point of impact. I can't say for sure if it affects group size. The barrel is a Black Hole Weaponry 22" in their 'standard' profile. Not a thin barrel
              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• HillclimberCR500
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2016

I have the sporter. Seems to work pretty good. Once i got a new readout module. First one didnt work called magneetospeed. Had a new one in less then a week. That being said ididn't notice much effect on accuracy on way or another(jp22). I wanted the v3 but i record my handloads on my tablet. So no need for extra features in my case. I've used it on my 65 my .308 and 7mm mag all with positive results.

Comment

• HillclimberCR500
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2016

Btw Great customer service sent me a new one and a shipping label. I dont think you could go wrong with either one

Comment

• Frank45
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2016

Good info. I've been looking at one or the other for a while now. Leaning towards the sporter.

Comment

• nuthead
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

I bought a V1 when they first came out... its been working fine for years and thousands of rounds up until recently when the bayo suddenly stopped registering shots so I bought a replacement sporter bayo for it

personally im not really sure what the V3 offers that makes it twice the price? I just write down the values in my databook while im waiting for the barrel to cool

Comment

• Greyfox
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2011

I got the Sporter and really like it. On tapered barrels it will slide ahead no mater how I tighten it. Rapped masking tape in front of strap to keep it from moving forward. Set the sensitivity setting to the middle one if you use thin barrels.
                        Greyfox

Comment

• Arkhangel5
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2016

I will say that if you know that you will only be shooting factory type barrels, eg: factory heavy, bull, hunting barrels, then get the sporter.

If you plan on shooting aftermarket barrels, eg 1in or more bull barrels, suppressors get the V3, as it will give you the flexibility with all the adjustments it has.

I have a V1 that I upgraded with the V3 bayo, and it has been great. My V1 bayo had trouble getting readings from >1inch bull barrels.

My 2c
                          SY

Comment

Working...
                          X