• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Coyotes, Hogs, and a Tree - Cold, Wet Hunt

Went hunting last week with some buddies, two of which I haven't seen in months. It was a great time, but the weather was awful with temps in the 40s and intermittent drizzle and showers throughout the night.

It was just barely sprinkling just before midnight as we inspected a field and found a lot of fresh rooting. Despite the hours of precipitation, there was fresh, turned over soil that was barely damp. That meant that the hogs were close as the turned over deeper dirt had not been on the surface long enough to turn to mud.

So we are looking for the hogs and I am in the back of the group, trying to get background video when I noticed the guys were obviously onto something. I was thinking that maybe they were looking at some hogs almost missed the countdown...

After shooting the coyotes, we continued across the field, looking for the hogs when one of the guys spotted some through the trees in the next field. We made our approach and ran into a fence that we could not get through without a lot of noise and set up to shoot...only we were unable to all be on hogs at the same time as the hogs were moving and the hogs would disappear from view from one or more shooters at any given time. So after a few minutes of frustration, we retreated, found a place to cross the fence to get closer, coming around from the side, only to run into yet another fence and then noticing that there was a pond between the hogs and us. So we set up to shoot from this location...

All in all, a good night of hunting, awful weather, but some real challenges and good successes with good friends.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Les
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

Very nice. Bad weather, 40's, lol currently 4 here. I didn't realize they have that much fat on them. Looked good for the smoker.
    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Les View Post
      Very nice. Bad weather, 40's, lol currently 4 here. I didn't realize they have that much fat on them. Looked good for the smoker.
      That's one reason we live down here Les, so we can call 40 degrees cold. Right now it feels like someone left a door open up there. Can you take care of that for us?

Good stuff 00Spy! Thanks for suffering through the elements to bring it to us.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Nice video's, have you notice any different terminal effects between the 6.8 and the 6.5 in your hunting engagements? Oh yea we were 4 below here the other night. 40 degrees is sweatshirt weather.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
          Warrior
          • Apr 2016

Nice vids as usual 00spy.

What distance was your hog shot at?, that it would still be hit after passing thru a tree?

SY

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

70-75 Yards.

Comment

• customcutter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Great video's again. I tried calling some hogs off of the neighboring property last year, but no luck so far. Off course they were too busy working on the corn that the land owner had dumped on the ground for them. LOL He has guided dog hunts for paying customers quite frequently. It's fun to watch with the Thermal, when he pulls up to the gate they leave his property, onto the property I hunt. If he dumps corn they go back, if not they stay on my side because they know he's about to turn out the catch dogs. Hilarious! Sometimes they get caught in the back of the property and that's when the dogs get them, when they don't know he's coming in the gate.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Last edited by sneaky one; 12-10-2016, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

Great videos as usual, and I am sure you are not the first to shoot a tree, the good thing is the 6.5 will do a good job going through the tree.
                  My hunting partner was out feeding his cows Thursday night here in Fannin County and did not have his night scope with him. Had to drive through a sounder of about 30 hogs that just sort of meandered around his truck.

Comment

• dammitman
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2012

i wish i could video like that! i also wish i could see in the dark like that! you guys have all the cool stuff. really nice videos. and i thought i was cold sitting in that tree yesterday sunup it was like 15 degrees. what a wimp,,,,,

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
                      i wish i could video like that! i also wish i could see in the dark like that! you guys have all the cool stuff. really nice videos. and i thought i was cold sitting in that tree yesterday sunup it was like 15 degrees. what a wimp,,,,,
                      It is all relative to what you are used to experiencing. I get just as much amusement when you northern folks talk about the heat in the summer. However, I will say that I have been warmer at 22 degrees and sleeting than 46 degrees and raining. Being wet is a negative game changer.

Just so you know, the two blokes in the photo with me are from Minnesota and they didn't enjoy the cold anymore than I did, LOL.

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

I had a grader operator I worked with from Texas. He could take the summer heat better than any one I have ever seen. The cold is easy to be in, just add more layers. In the heat all you can do is melt and die.

Comment

• Les
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
                          That's one reason we live down here Les, so we can call 40 degrees cold. Right now it feels like someone left a door open up there. Can you take care of that for us?

Good stuff 00Spy! Thanks for suffering through the elements to bring it to us.
                          I love to, not fond of either extreme, and cold and wet isn't a good combo. Several years ago spent 2 weeks in Mexico in Aug, I'll never complain about the humidity and heat here ever again. Lol
                          Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• customcutter
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2014

Sneaky, I wish I could, but my recorder has been down since I pinched the wires in the quick detach mechanism, last March just before that happened. I need to get it fixed, but it's been on the back burner.

Comment

Working...
                            X