• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dpete
    Warrior
    • May 2016

Pork hunting in Florida?

With an upcoming vacation coming in March 2017 to Florida I've been wondering what the pig hunting possibilities are that time of year if any. My wife and I will be staying in the Inverness area the week of March 12 - 18 and travelling a reasonable distance to hunt is expected. I have hunted deer here in Wisconsin for over 25 years and have the choice of 4 AR rifle calibers to use. A .223 Colt M4 (too small I'm thinking), a 16" barrelled 300BLK, a 8" 300 BLK pistol/SBR (NFA headaches understood), a 6.5 Grendel, and a .308. I have a suppressor I can use on the Grendel up through the .308, it currently lives on the SBR. The two major things I have no knowledge of for this idea are the animal and the area. Any help would be appreciated and any offer from a member here to take this yankee out pig hunting would definitely warrant further discussion. Thanks
  • Mike Wood
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

I've never hunted them in south FL, but I regularly hunt them in NW FL (near the Pensacola area) with family every Thanksgiving and Christmas break. I'd take the Grendel and the can, and leave the others at home. That way you can reach out on one 200 yards away (if you've even got long shots like that...probably pretty dense woods down there compare to the fields in NW FL we hunt them in) or take out a few if you get on some close in with quick follow-up shots.

Best thing about pig hunting in FL (to me at least seeing I'm in Alabama) is that you can hunt them at night on private property w/o a FL hunting license (which is a lot of fun, even if you're only using some red or green LEDs and can't afford NV or FLIR).

Maybe others will chime in about that area and the hogs there, especially how big they get. The big ones are fun to shoot for the sake of taking pics of your kill and helping control population, but the smaller sows in the 50-70 lb range eat the best
    Last edited by Mike Wood; 12-15-2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• dpete
      Warrior
      • May 2016

The Withlacoochee State Forest is 7 miles from where we will be. Anyone out there with info on opportunities there? The brochure from the Citrus Wildlife Management Area is a bit blurry on whether or not hog hunting is allowed that time of year(March 13-17). A phone # for Florida fish and wildlife is provided so clarrification can be had there I hope.

Comment

• dfwpi
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2016

Look up some outfitters in the area. They should be able to help you in this area. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area and hunt about 90-miles west. I've shot 15 since the first weekend of November, most with my 45/70, but the last couple have been with my .223 AR. I dropped a 150-pound boar last week at 60-yards with the .223, shot right behind the shoulder, complete pass-thru and he ran about 30-yards.

Comment

Working...
        X