X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Constitutionalist
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

I use all Michigan legal beaver traps- 330's, MB1216's, #5 footholds, under ice snares, and occasionally open water snares. Just like the various calibers and action types of rifles- different tools for different sets/conditions. ;-)

The beavers you shot were adults. Each beaver colony usually consists of the two adults, their young from the previous year and their young from the current year. The adults chase the 2 year-olds out of the colony. Assuming the beavers down there grow at a similar rate to Michigan beavers, I'd say those were 2 1/2 years old, 3 1/2 at most. If they linked up early in their first breeding season they could have the surviving young of up to 2 litters in the colony (one litter born May/June of 2015 and one from May/June of 2015). Probably unlikely if you're not seeing signs of activity. 1 1/2 year-olds would be very active in repairing the dam. Young of the current year (kits) would be less likely to be so active but can care for themselves by this time of year. If they were 2 1/2 years old and linked up late last spring, they may not have bred yet.

If your laws allow, I'd say open up the dam to drain down the pond and watch for any repair activity, freshly cut trees/saplings, or freshly peeled sticks (they eat the bark). If there's no sign of activity in 2-3 weeks then I'd say your work is done. Until the next colony moves in, that is!

FWIW Beavers grow throughout their lives so the older they are- the bigger they are. I catch a few in the 60's each year. My biggest ever was 74 lbs. with several over the years in the 70-73 lb range. I saw one once that weighed 81lbs on a certified scale. I've heard the record was 110lbs from 1921 in Wisconsin, Several years a go, a friend (also from Wisconsin) sent me a picture of one he said weighed 121lbs that was taken by a friend of his. I'd say he's a fairly reliable source. What sucks is the big ones are always the furthest from the roads! Carrying them out is a lot of work.

Good luck and be safe!

John

BTW Rickt300 is right on- beaver really does taste like roast beef! (Not Chicken!)
    Last edited by Constitutionalist; 01-06-2017, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

FWIW Beavers grow throughout their lives so the older they are- the bigger they are.
      I know they are described like that, but it is a somewhat misleading description.

Unlike animals such as most reptiles and amphibians that have indeterminate growth, mammals such as beavers have determinate growth. They may grow fatter the older they get, but skeletally, they stop growing at the point in time when their bones fuse which is when they reach adult age (around 3, IIRC). So with the long bones, for example, you have the bone shaft called the diaphysis. Then you have the end caps or points of articulation called the epiphyses. Both growth occurs in the metaphysis between the each epiphysis and the diaphysis. Bone growth stops when the epiphysis fuses to the diaphysis. In much of our wildlife, skeletal maturity occurs at a fairly young age and usually happens within a year or so of reaching sexual maturity.

So while animals such as alligators may truly continue to grow throughout their lives (and the process does slow with age), beavers and other mammals physically cannot except by simply getting fatter. This, too, slows with age.
      Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 01-06-2017, 02:15 PM.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
        I know they are described like that, but it is a somewhat misleading description.

Unlike animals such as most reptiles and amphibians that have indeterminate growth, mammals such as beavers have determinate growth. They may grow fatter the older they get, but skeletally, they stop growing at the point in time when their bones fuse which is when they reach adult age (around 3, IIRC). So with the long bones, for example, you have the bone shaft called the diaphysis. Then you have the end caps or points of articulation called the epiphyses. Both growth occurs in the metaphysis between the each epiphysis and the diaphysis. Bone growth stops when the epiphysis fuses to the diaphysis. In much of our wildlife, skeletal maturity occurs at a fairly young age and beavers and other mammals physically cannot except by simply getting fatter. This, too, slows with age.
        Does this mean my getting fat will slow down? Happy days are here again!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Well, that is what is happening to me!
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
            Well, that is what is happening to me!
            You are going to need it if you go out tonight! Thermal underwear and thermal scope! The pigs should show up real good against the snow.

Comment

Working...
            X