Adjustable gas block, or adjustable carrier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Red Dawn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

There is another option when shooting suppressed and unsepressed using the Innovative Arms WAR upper. The adjustment is on the outside of the upper. I picked up 1 for a 556 build and WOW is all I can say. Check it out I got mine Dog Leg Arms

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." James Madison

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

That is intersting, thank you for posting Red Dawn.

I would like to see the internals/inside the receiver to see how they designed it. One wonders what a floating primer or bolt override would do to the top end.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Nodak
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Like the others I use a SLR Sentry with set screws but I also went with a light weight carrier as well as the JP captured spring system. Now I'm not suppressed yet but it is the smoothest running AR I've ever held and worth every penny. Love the captured spring setup.

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Bootleg has a adjustable carrier that you don't have to remove to adjust and it's not priced crazy like Gemtech,
          2A Armaments. I think I'm gonna get 3 of them, since I want to run a can on every weapon I shoot. Only have one for now, but will be buying another one in the fall I think.
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Smarcus
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2016

I built an 18 inch Mid Gas rifle with a Innovative Arms WAR Receiver. These receivers are meant to work with 5.56 barrel with a certain gas port size. So when you use a 6.5 G you introduce a variable that it isn't designed to work with. In my case there wasn't enough gas to make it work. I ended up drilling out the gas port to .1094, up from the original size of approximately .094. Now it works great and has been completely reliable, soft shooting and quiet but it did take some trial and error.

BTW I am using an Omega.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Smarcus; 04-03-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Les
              I explored that possibility as well. My upper is an AA 16" incursion (That I'm quite fond of so far) I too will be using an Omega on it after the stamp comes in. I called AA to find out what if any special disassembly procedure I should use on the rifle (mostly concerned about the hand-guard) to install the AGB. They told me the AGB is more trouble than it's worth and that most problems they see with their rifles is because of them. I had previously been led to believe they were needed if suppressed. I'd really prefer to be able to adjust it.
              I think this is to be expected. Many manufacturers of turn-key uppers and rifles don't want customers to modify them.

*That doesn't mean adjustable gas blocks are a bad idea!*

He said many problems they see are due to AGBs. He did NOT say such problems were major or fatal to the rifle! (I'll bet most of these "problems" with gas blocks were solved with minor tuning. That's nothing I would worry about.)

You have to keep in mind the perspective of the business you're taking to. I'll bet many- if not most- folks that buy assembled uppers from AA run them *as is*. That said, there are bound to be some users that do decide to modify, but might not be that knowledgeable at it. That's where stupid mistakes are made.

Just saying that one should always keep in mind the viewpoint and motivations of those you ask advice. I don't think AA was misleading you. But I do think they have a mindset (OTS, as is...) at play.

Everybody has an agenda or bias to some extent. Always.
              Last edited by Timmy2Knives; 08-18-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Les
                Warrior
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Timmy2Knives View Post
                I think this is to be expected. Many manufacturers of turn-key uppers and rifles don't want customers to modify them.

*That doesn't mean adjustable gas blocks are a bad idea!*

He said many problems they see are due to AGBs. He did NOT say such problems were major or fatal to the rifle! (I'll bet most of these "problems" with gas blocks were solved with minor tuning. That's nothing I would worry about.)

You have to keep in mind the perspective of the business you're taking to. I'll bet many- if not most- folks that buy assembled uppers from AA run them *as is*. That said, there are bound to be some users that do decide to modify, but might not be that knowledgeable at it. That's where stupid mistakes are made.

Just saying that one should always keep in mind the viewpoint and motivations of those you ask advice. I don't think AA was misleading you. But I do think they have a mindset (OTS, as is...) at play.

Everybody has an agenda or bias to some extent. Always.
                Already figured that. The reason I threw that out was I knew lots of very knowledgable folks here were running AGB's with no issues. Thanks
                Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

Working...
                X