Adjustable gas block, or adjustable carrier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Adjustable gas block, or adjustable carrier?

Part of my build spec for my eventual 6.5G is a suppressor (currently opting for the Silencerco Omega - will also be my first one).

I am trying to figure what is the best route for gas control. Adj gas block (SLR or JP) or an adjustable carrier (Gemtech).

It would seem to me that the adj carrier would still have all that extra gas getting back to the receiver, though Gemtech claims that there is reduced blowback to the shooter. I would think that the wasted gas would be better put to pushing the pill, or am I over thinking it?
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Same gas will be pushing the bullet in either case. The adj. gas block is the better choice because you have more control over the cycling of the gun without having to swap buffers/springs. I am personally looking at the superlative arms adjustable gas block. You can set that to vent excess gas out the front like a piston system instead of just restricting the gas through a small port.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

I'd go the adj gas block route. I use SLRs and love them. I like being able to adjust it without having to disassemble the rifle.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• jim_bob
        Warrior
        • Jul 2014

+1 for SLR adjustable clamp on gas blocks!

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

Thank you for the opinions guys. That settles that decision.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• subinoob
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2016

Yup all I run on mine are slr's never had an issue with them.

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

What about an adjustable gas key? Any pro or con?
              NRA Lifer

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by AZ. Old Guy View Post
                What about an adjustable gas key? Any pro or con?
                I would suspect it would be the same with Cory's post (#3) about having too break down the rifle / remove the BCG to make an adjustment.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Les
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

I explored that possibility as well. My upper is an AA 16" incursion (That I'm quite fond of so far) I too will be using an Omega on it after the stamp comes in. I called AA to find out what if any special disassembly procedure I should use on the rifle (mostly concerned about the hand-guard) to install the AGB. They told me the AGB is more trouble than it's worth and that most problems they see with their rifles is because of them. I had previously been led to believe they were needed if suppressed. I'd really prefer to be able to adjust it.
                  Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

You can offset the gas issue by going with a heavier spring and buffer when running suppressed. You still get a lot of gas in the chamber though. I would rather choke it down - just me.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Les
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2016

I'd rather be able to adjust it too, but I'm conflicted with what AA told me. I have a friend in Central Ne that runs a complete AA 6.5G rifle that told me he's getting bolt wear because of running suppressed, he tried a heavier buffer and spring but recommended to me to get an AGB. Any reason why to not install one?

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

I run adjustable gas blocks on all of my Grendel's and I have had zero problems with them. My favorite is the SLR Sentry 7. http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...product_id=582
                        I can adjust with changing outside temperatures or different loads. Like the JP SCS the adj gas block is not always needed but a nice feature to have.

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

The worst that can happen with putting an AGB is that it gets carbon locked, or plugs up, and your rifle won't cycle, in which case you have to try to clean the gas block, or replace it. Won't harm the rifle.

The way they are designed now, is much better than 5 years ago when they were problematic.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Les
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2016

I'm convinced, still have to wait for the stamp to arrive.

Comment

• BoxofRox
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2015

I use a 2A armament rbc, it's awesome and very easy to adjust.

Comment

Working...
                              X