• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff556
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

PRS Gas Gun

It looks like the good folks behind the Precision Rifle Series are introducing a new kind of gas gun match.

The Precision Rifle Series is the preeminent rifle organization in the world, structuring a yearly points race for both the PRS Pro Bolt Gun Series and the PRS Regional Series. The PRS Championship Shooting Series is synonymous with precision rifle shooting.

Lots of PRS shooters here in the Northwest are looking at building AR-10s chambered in 6.5 CM to complete. The rules set the maximum engagement range at 800 yards.

I'm wondering if a lightweight Grendel's ease of shooting might offset the ballistics advantage of the 6.5 CM.

What says the hoard?
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Looks like open division is the only place a Grendel would be allowed. The advantage of the Grendel would definitely be the quick follow up shots but the penalties for just one miss would not offset this advantage. If they had more under 100 yard high round count courses then it would be advantages. I would personally go with the slower yet flatter shooting rifle if I had to choose a cartridge for this game. In any case it would be fun to use a Grendel with this game and if the wind was slow and the shooting gods were with a person a win would not be out of the realm using a Grendel.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

I understand what they're doing with the Light and Heavy Tactical divisions. Just consider if the criteria was small frame (AR15) and large frame (AR10) instead of cartridge. The Grendel would clean house in that case.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

6mm Grendel would be competitive even in regular PRS, since a lot of people use Dashers and cats off the BR.

Speeds with a 105gr are really close.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Only permitted in Open Division (Light and Heavy Tactical restricted to .223 and .308 only).
          Grendel will be blown around more than heavier/faster 6.5 calibres. Unlikely you will be competitive with this handicap.

Comment

• jeff556
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2015

Alas, that's what I'm thinking as well. That said, I'm inclined to give it a try and see how it does. My 16" Grendel may not be the right tool for the job, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

Comment

• FLS
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2015

I'm going to run my Grendel in the PRS and 3Gun nation LR matches this season. They only go out to 800 and the targets are big at that distance. Beyond 700 your usually shooting a Larue. I've been able to hold my own with the Grendel so far against the bigger 6s and 6.5s in outlaw matches shooting against some of the same guys that shoot PRS. I'm confident the Grendel will do fine if I do my part...

Comment

Working...
              X