• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcjarmon
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

1000 yard gun for Camp Butner

Morning guys. I'm working on my newest abomination at the moment, and I've got some ideas that I'm not sure the best way to implement. First the rifle.

Anderson matched receiver set
    Vector optics 15" skeleton Free float key-mod hand-guard with steel barrel nut.
    Cryptic Coatings Toolcraft BCG coated Mystic Black with proper 6.5 Grendel extractor.
    Mil-spec buffer tube, with JP captive buffer spring and hydro buffer.
    The barrel is on its way. Its a Krieger Varmatch, 26 inch, threaded 3/4-24tpi.
    Ive got a JP .936 low-profile adjustable gas block to go on it and I'm working on a muzzle brake design that I think is going to be a home run.

If I can get this Muzzle break I'm working on finalized, I'm going to try having it machined by a pro. Soft metal will make it easier to do, but hard metal will be more durable. While would be better, 6061, 7075, 304 stainless, or 416 stainless. I have all four. I normally use 6061, because its easy for me to machine on my little lathe.

Also, Ive seen JP's thermal dissipators for small contour barrels. Id like to have one for this Krieger barrel, but they don't make a one inch version. Has anyone else seen a larger version of it or am I going to have to make one out of copper bar store.

Last, does anyone have a Nightforce C556 FFP scope? How do you like it?

IMG_0033.JPGIMG_0034.JPGcryptic-coatings-datasheet-mystic-black.jpg
    Last edited by jcjarmon; 12-23-2016, 04:27 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum, sounds like agreat project. I can't help with your questions but maybe someone else will chime in. If you don't get your answer here you might start another thread in the build section.

Comment

• Jsf74
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2018

Does anyone know what happened to this guy? He supposedly could pass on good deals for forum members thru bear Creek Arsenal? Really interested in one of the complete uppers they offer.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Jsf74 you might send jcjarmon a private message through the forum. I get e-mail notifications on PM’s. He hasn’t logged on in a while but not sure if he reads here without logging on.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

i would go steel over aluminum for a hi pressure muzzle break unless you are hard anodizing i would think the aluminum would be subject to pretty bad gas gutting and even with the steel will be more durable so long as weight is not an issue go steel as far as choosing between 304 and 416 the seem pretty close compsitionaly i would pick 416 just because its is typical gun barrel steel, that in mind you need to watch out for galing so make sure you put some thing on the treads if you ever want to get the muzzle break off with a stainless stainless combination, locktite will prevent galling
          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

I would recommend the same allow of the barrel for the muzzle brake to minimize potential heat and harmonics issues.

Comment

Working...
            X