• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cb4017
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Thoughts on a couple "in stock" barrels

I've decided to build a 6.5 Grendel. Not being a patient kind of guy I don't feel like waiting months to years for a barrel. My goal with this rifle is casual precision type target shooting. One of the great things about living in Northern Nevada is plenty of room to shoot so ranges can be out there. I'm not looking to spend a mint but I'm not cheap either. I'd like some thoughts on a couple of barrels I found.

1st up is the Shilen 20" HBAR match barrel offered by Midway. I believe it's a SAAMI chamber and includes bolt. A little more than I wanted to spend but doable. Not sure about the 1-9 twist. Un-threaded muzzle.

2nd is an AR Performance 22" barrel. ARP has a great rep with the 6.8 crowd but I haven't found much on their 6.5 barrels. Anyway, it's a stainless, medium weight 5r rifling. 1-8.5 twist. Description says it takes a .135" recess bolt.

Thoughts?

If anyone knows of other in-stock barrel options I'm all ears.
    Thanks!
    Cliff
    USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Nobody is coming. It's up to you.
  • Red
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

Cliff, I just purchased a Saturn/Liberty barrel, 20" SS medium contour, threaded muzzle matched bolt included. $325.00 with free shipping. I have shot it and the barrel will shoot sub MOA at 100 yards. This was ordered direct from Saturn and I received it in one day from Iowa to Wisconsin. Hope this helps.

Comment

• jim_bob
      Warrior
      • Jul 2014

Check out Lilja, they have been keeping barrels in stock. The two I have are shooters!

Comment

• Bisley
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2016

I have yet to know anyone with a BHW barrel that won't shoot, including mine and a buddy's who whose barrels will put factory Hornady 123gr SST's into the same hole. All the quality of BHW with no wait. Win-Win.

Comment

• SG4247
          Warrior
          • Aug 2013

Ive had several Shilen Grendel barrels.

My supressed hunting Grendel still has one.

I will not buy any more.

$.02
          NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Odin works has been good about having their 18" and 20" barrels in stock, and they have a barrel/BCG combo for around $400 with a moa accuracy guarantee.

Precision Firearms is definitely worth giving a call. If they don't have one in stock, he can give you a time frame. He can also cut any .264 blank into any length /profile you desire.

ARP makes some phenominal 6.8 barrels I can vouch for, but no experience with his 6.5 Barrels.

Lilja has a great reputation as well, however I have no experience with them personally.

JP enterprises makes some of the most reputable quality barrels in the buisness, and they only have a wait time of about 2 weeks.
            Last edited by Kilco; 01-02-2017, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• cb4017
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Red View Post
              Cliff, I just purchased a Saturn/Liberty barrel, 20" SS medium contour, threaded muzzle matched bolt included. $325.00 with free shipping. I have shot it and the barrel will shoot sub MOA at 100 yards. This was ordered direct from Saturn and I received it in one day from Iowa to Wisconsin. Hope this helps.
              Thanks Red. That looks interesting and certainly within my budget. I'm not sure what they mean by a "6.5 Grendel II" chamber though. Based on my limited research I'm leaning toward sticking with an actual SAAMI chamber.

Thanks for the suggestions Gents. I'm looking into all of them. I like the Odin Works choices but they have nothing in stock at the moment. The Precison Firarms 6.5 Grendel Criterion Barrel is looking pretty good too.

I have a feeling I'm going to need some patience and a little more research to get my selection pinned down.

Thanks again.
              Cliff
              USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

great thread..... info I was looking for.
                I want to build one but, dont want to wait too long for a barrel.
                ― George Orwell

Comment

• kpswihart
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

I'm a newb also, and just beginning to get parts together. Lots of information and opinions to sort through here, really thankful for all of the available info. I'm reading lots of great things about the 16" AA bbl, but I'm thinking I may want something a little beefier. I may end up going this route though as there doesn't seem to be very many "in stock" options.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

When I build my next grendel this summer I will be going with JP again, top self product and top self customer service, not to mention you get your barrel in two weeks are less.

I ordered my 18 I have now on Monday and had it by Tuesday of the next week.

I did the grendel II chamber and won't be doing anything other then sammi from now on.

Comment

• cb4017
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Well Gents, after careful consideration I have ordered a 20" Criterion barrel and a matching bolt from Precision Firearms. It will be a 6-8 week wait but I know I am getting a quality barrel with a true SAAMI chamber. Besides, the wait will give me time to gather a few more parts for my build and reloading components/dies to start making ammo.

Geez, I hate waiting..
                      Cliff
                      USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

[QUOTE=cb4017;145139]I've decided to build a 6.5 Grendel. Not being a patient kind of guy I don't feel like waiting months to years for a barrel. My goal with this rifle is casual precision type target shooting. One of the great things about living in Northern Nevada is plenty of room to shoot so ranges can be out there. I'm not looking to spend a mint but I'm not cheap either. I'd like some thoughts on a couple of barrels I found.

1st up is the Shilen 20" HBAR match barrel offered by Midway. I believe it's a SAAMI chamber and includes bolt. A little more than I wanted to spend but doable. Not sure about the 1-9 twist. Un-threaded muzzle.

2nd is an AR Performance 22" barrel. ARP has a great rep with the 6.8 crowd but I haven't found much on their 6.5 barrels. Anyway, it's a stainless, medium weight 5r rifling. 1-8.5 twist. Description says it takes a .135" recess bolt.

Thoughts?

If anyone knows of other in-stock barrel options I'm all ears.
                        Thanks![/QdUOTE]

I bought a Midway Shilen 20" Match barrel in 6.5 Grendel about 4 years ago and I have been completely satisfied.

I just checked JSE Surplus and they have many 6.5 Grendel barrels and complete uppers in stock and ready to ship. I have no affiliation with JSE but their 6.5 Grendel barrels get good reviews and they use SAAMI chamber and bolt.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

If you're not patient and want a very accurate barrel, order from Lilja. It will ship the day you order.

If you're slightly patient, order from AA and JP.

If you're very patient, order from PF.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bobke
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2015

To what Paul just said, ordered my fourth 6.5 Grendel barrel, a Lilja AR319 barrel, last Friday, and had shipping confirmation two hrs later-Dan actually answered the phone and took my order-can't be any more hands on than that, or more responsive. And, based on two other 6.5 CR Lilja barrels, should be quite accurate.
                            Last edited by Bobke; 01-03-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Djamiller
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jul 2016

Just to throw another option at you, try calling satern. I called and they had a cut rifle barrel in stock, shipped the same day.

Comment

Working...
                              X