• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geezy415
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

odin works 20" vs Brownell 18" barrell

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I can't decide between an Odin works 20" barrel or a Brownell 18" I hear those are Saturn.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Brownell's has used Liberty barrels in the past for the 18" and 24" guns.

The main thing I have noticed about the 18" guns is the gas port is excessively large at .094", so you need to choke it with adjustable gas.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Brownell's has used Liberty barrels in the past for the 18" and 24" guns.

The main thing I have noticed about the 18" guns is the gas port is excessively large at .094", so you need to choke it with adjustable gas.
      Is that all the 18" 6.5 Grendel builds you have seen or just the Brownell 18" barrels?
      I ask as I have build .223 Wylde and 5.56 18 inch rifles in the past with no issues but, am new to the Grendel.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Djamiller
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2016

Both button rifled, both should be quality pieces. If odinworks still has the barrel/gas block/bcg combo going on I don't think you could find a better deal.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

A Friend bought a Brownell's 6.5 Grendel last spring. His barrel was set up with a fixed gas block and is not over gassed. My Friend didn't measure the gas port so I don't know if Brownell's specified a different gas port diameter. The Brownell's 6.5 Grendel II barrels are definitely rack grade so it's luck of the draw when it comes to accuracy.

Comment

• Djamiller
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            A Friend bought a Brownell's 6.5 Grendel last spring. His barrel was set up with a fixed gas block and is not over gassed. My Friend didn't measure the gas port so I don't know if Brownell's specified a different gas port diameter. The Brownell's 6.5 Grendel II barrels are definitely rack grade so it's luck of the draw when it comes to accuracy.
            I haven't heard of anyone not getter better than 1 moa with the Odin.

Comment

• Rolling Brass
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2017

I do not follow, are you saying that you have heard good or bad reviews in regards to the Odin?

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Rolling Brass View Post
                I do not follow, are you saying that you have heard good or bad reviews in regards to the Odin?
                What are you wanting to do? 1 MOA is great for hunting... probably won't win many shooting contests though.

All depends on what you want as to what you are going to call good.

Comment

• Retro
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Djamiller View Post
                  I haven't heard of anyone not getter better than 1 moa with the Odin.
                  I have two Odinworks barrels and both shoot sub moa. The barrels shoots better than me and I can put five rounds in a 1" square with the bullets touching. Don't know anything about the Brownells. My Odin 20" barrel was with bolt, gas block, rifle length gas tube and 15" Odin free float fore grip. The other was an Odin 18" barrel, gas tube and gas block. They were out of bolts so I ordered just the type II Grendel bolt from Underground Arms. I asked about the compatibility of the bolt with the Odin parts and this is the answer that I received; "Yes, it will. They actually ordered bolts from us when they started selling their barrels." These are both sub MOA rifles.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
                    Is that all the 18" 6.5 Grendel builds you have seen or just the Brownell 18" barrels?
                    I ask as I have build .223 Wylde and 5.56 18 inch rifles in the past with no issues but, am new to the Grendel.
                    I've tested and built many Grendels with 18" barrels from:

AA (have 2 sitting in my shop right now)
                    Lilja (lost count on how many Lilja 18" I've done, and own one)
                    Satern (have one sitting in the shop right now, cut rifled fluted, .094" port, requires PRI adjustable gas block and rifle buffer 5.2oz)
                    Underground Tactical (could never get this one to work, even with adjustable gas and different buffers, .094" port)

I've also had a bit of experience with 18" .223 Wylde barrels from WOA, CLE, High Caliber Sales, JP, Krieger, Wilson, and BCM.

I think I've seen more 18" Grendel barrels in person than the other lengths, with 20" being the next most popular, then a mix of 16", 24", and 22". A lot of the initial Lilja group buy were 18" pipes.

The correct gas port diameter for a 6.5 Grendel 18" with MLGS is .076", otherwise if you go too large, you allow too much volume at a higher pressure than RLGS to flow into the gas tube and carrier, which cycles the action too soon when the case is still obturated in the chamber.

With a .076" port, everything behaves well. For the life of me, I don't know why anyone would put a .094" port on an 18" MLGS. It requires several band-aids to try to tame that cyclic rate back down, usually a combo of adjustable gas and heavy buffering.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X