• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
    New guy here....
    What makes this not ideal for brass factory or reload ammo?
    the will work fine for brass factory or reload or anything else the reason people are emphasizing it as a steel case barrel is because of the increased durability of the chrome lined barrel, many of us have premium match barrels we dont particularly want to run bimetal jacketed bullets through, chrome line barrels are typically not as precise as non chromed barrels due to the nature of the manufactoring process though the show increase durability so it will be a little less precise than a plain steel barrel but more durable between that and the price make it a good option for steel case blasting but the barrel will still shoot nicely with good ammo if you looking for a barrel for a low price this certinly reprisents a good option
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• jim_bob
      Warrior
      • Jul 2014

Word on the street was the sabre defense barrels were shooters, but tended to be over gassed.

@Grendel, I'd lean to the group buy barrels due to nitride vs chrome lined.
      Last edited by jim_bob; 01-07-2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Late to the game on this but I just thought I'd point out this looks like a carbine length gas system.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• 1075 tech
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

They are only about 1/2 hr from me. Could check that out.

FWIW, they usually have a pretty good inventory of misc parts for older/obsolete guns. I was able to get parts needed to restore a 1950's Sears bolt action 12ga.

Comment

• howl
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

Finally got the notice mine shipped. Guess I better order that Anderson BCG so I can use that case of Wolf ammo I have coming.

Comment

• mdewitt71
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

I would really like to hear about accuracy with Wolf Steel and handloads from this barrel......
              ― George Orwell

Comment

• Nicaburns
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2016

Ordered one today to try

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
                  I would really like to hear about accuracy with Wolf Steel and handloads from this barrel......
                  I just gave my brother an early run Sabre Defence XR15 with this barrel on it, and it is a carbine length gas system and shoots about MOA with 123gr AMAX 100 yds, would probably shoot better with a better scope.

Comment

• Dpr64
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by howl View Post
                    Finally got the notice mine shipped. Guess I better order that Anderson BCG so I can use that case of Wolf ammo I have coming.
                    I think these are type 2 barrels and need the Alexander Arms or other type 2 bolt? Anderson is type 1 if I recall...

Comment

• howl
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

Anderson's site shows them as Type 2 with 8620 for the carrier 9310 for the bolt. Seems about right for a blaster. Won't hurt to verify verbally before ordering, though, right?

Comment

• howl
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

FYI: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...l=1#post131568

Comment

• Dpr64
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2016

So, does that indicate that the barrels offered by Numrich are those that are not desirable and may have issues?

Comment

• howl
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2015

I just offered it to go along with other information in the thread. It's just pertinent data. Use your own judgement.

More data: I got mine in today. It looks like it was tossed in box with a bunch of other ones and hauled around in the back of a truck for several months. I'd overlook all that for the price and purpose, but the threads were damaged. I don't think I should have to buy a die and chase threads on a barrel. I will call Numrich and see what they have to say before deciding to return or not.

I have purchased from Numrich in the past and got parts that looked like they just came out of the bin at the original factory. That is not what I got today.

Comment

• howl
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2015

Alright. I talked to Numrich. The trouble with the one I got is the threads were banged flat in a spot. Also the flat cut the gas block would butt against was dinged such that I'd have to remove metal to get the block to seat flush. I'm ignoring the loss of finish and few small rust spots. I can return for hand-picked or refund. If you want hand-picked to begin with, that is a special order and you ask for a quote. I got better things to do than play hot potato with barrels.

I am not criticizing or offering guidance; just relaying information.

Comment

• Texas
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Dpr64 View Post
                                So, does that indicate that the barrels offered by Numrich are those that are not desirable and may have issues?
                                I received my barrel from Nurich this afternoon and was able to get it put into an upper. The barrel headspaced with PTG 6.5 Grendel go/nogo guages with a .136 bolt. The chamber is very tight.
                                there was no problem with loading factory 123 AMAX and they extracted fine. Sabre Defence made barrels with two different reamer profiles, and the barrel I received had the proper profile.
                                It is stamped CMV 1:7.5 twist CL. It is a carbine length gas tube. No problems in the assembly and muzzle break threads had no issues. The chrome in the barrel looks even, but did not scope the bore.

I did not have a muzzle crush washer left, so did not get a chance to shoot it this afternoon, had to go meet a buddy to pig hunt this evening, and we got in a sounder that is now 4 less than it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X