• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

2017 1st Coyote, Tough Coyote

I had hiked in a few hundred yards with a bunch of gear to a new hunting spot (some which now resides there) and was kicked back and resting, letting the sweat dry before setting up for actually hunting when four coyotes came passing by. Gun was on the ground. Shooting sticks were on the ground. The caller wasn't deployed. So I was behind the curve. Even worse, in the excitement and not being as familiar with the new scope I am using, I turned the wrong controls. Sheesh.

I picked the coyote standing the most still and looking like a target. Turned out, he was marking his territory and the action was caught in the video.

Managed to make a shot that I thought was too low and based on how he ran, figured I had just grazed him. The second shot was a miss as the coyote was still involved in bouncing and spinning. He took off on the run and I landed the third shot and that took the fight out of him.

I thought the coyote ran surprisingly well for having a 50 cent piece-sized hole in his shoulder from the first shot. If you look close at the slow motion, you can see that immediately after the shot, copious amounts of blood were dumped. Had I realized the damage of the first shot, I could have concentrated on getting a 2nd coyote, but I stayed with this guy until he was down. I tried to catch up with a 2nd coyote after that, but things were moving too fast and the coyotes too far to figure out proper lead.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

I really appreciate your video quality. The new scope seems to have really clear imaging

Comment

• Constitutionalist
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Awesome!

Thanks for Sharing!

Comment

• customcutter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Pwew! Pwew!. Happy New Year my friend! I need to get out and chase some hogs. It should cool off finally this weekend. It's been in the 80's through Dec. and humid.

Comment

• Ed Baker
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

Kinda off topic... what brass catcher are you using on your rifle?
          Thanks!
          Ed

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

I use a now-discontinued model from www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com. They aren't cheap, but they do an oustanding job, be it stalking or crawling through the brush. They have other models now.
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Ed Baker
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

Thanks for the info....will check out the site.

Comment

Working...
              X