• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

123 eld

Just wanted to share ammoseek has the 123 ELD ammo listed at 17.99 a box of twenty.
  • hikfromstik
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

Thank you . Maybe Hornady will start a trend with budget match ammo. They sell a new Black 223 75gr match line of ammo that's about $13-14 per 20. I wish ADI outback would come out with a sub moa match 6.5 grendel for $12 a box like their 223 line . A man can dream.

Comment

• jurassic
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Why would the ELD be cheaper than the SST or AMAX? I thought the new ELD bullet was more expensive. Can a Grendel really take advantage of and ELD bullet?

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      Just wanted to share ammoseek has the 123 ELD ammo listed at 17.99 a box of twenty.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

BC is higher at .506 G1, so yes, it is helpful to any 6.5mm you shoot it from.

My understanding is that it's an AMAX with the newer Heat Shield Tip.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Maddvaper
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

Eld

The designer of the Amax bullet in fact said the only difference in it and the ELD was the tip ,which he felt was ironic because the original design had an aluminum tip and didn't melt to begin with

Comment

• HillclimberCR500
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2016

So has anyone tested this ammo to say if it's as good as the 123amax stuff

Comment

• 1911man
              Warrior
              • May 2015

There is another thread that I started when the ammo first came out that a few guys shared results on. I just fired it in my new AR15part.com 20" barrel and it shot really well. I plan on doing more testing with it soon. I would like to get at least 5 separate 5 shot groups before drawing any conclusions. It did not shoot well at all out of my 18: BHW barrel. 5 separate 5 shot groups all group 1.5-2" with inconsistent patterns so that barrel did not like it.

Comment

• nuthead
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

the ELD-M is an amax with a different tip, the ELD-X is a completely different bullet (thicker jacket, longer bullet and made to hold together better at high impact velocities)

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Which is surprising that the ELD would be cheaper, unless the cost of goods for the ELD is way cheaper than the Amax.

One wonders if they are going to keep the Amax line going now that they know the tip melts and causes instability and accuracy issues at range.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• nuthead
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                    Which is surprising that the ELD would be cheaper, unless the cost of goods for the ELD is way cheaper than the Amax.

One wonders if they are going to keep the Amax line going now that they know the tip melts and causes instability and accuracy issues at range.
                    I have serious doubts about the degree to which the Amax tips are melting... I think they basically concocted a reason to relaunch the line since berger and lapua are way more popular (at least in the PRS style matches - and from what I can tell in fclass also)

the electronic fclass targets here measure the impact velocity - and if you compare the launch speeds to the impact speeds they basically exactly match up with the modelled data - which indicates that there is little or no change in BC over 800m

if there is a problem it might be if the MV's are very high?

i think LRRPF52 said that even hornady states (in their fine print) that the change in BC is <3%
                    Last edited by nuthead; 01-09-2017, 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• 1911man
                      Warrior
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                      I have serious doubts about the degree to which the Amax tips are melting... I think they basically concocted a reason to relaunch the line since berger and lapua are way more popular (at least in the PRS style matches - and from what I can tell in fclass also)

the electronic fclass targets here measure the impact velocity - and if you compare the launch speeds to the impact speeds they basically exactly match up with the modelled data - which indicates that there is little or no change in BC over 800m

if there is a problem it might be if the MV's are very high?

i think LRRPF52 said that even hornady states (in their fine print) that the change in BC is <3%
                      Based on what I have read and seen in videos online the Velocities of the Grendel wont melt the tips but guys in the 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor had been seeing the melting issues. They have also put out alot of press about using doplar radar now to confirm their BCs. All I know is that in my 6.5 Creedmoor the new BC for the 140 ELD-M has proven correct out to 1050 yards. I believe is was a jump of .60 from my old AMAX bullets and they are the same load.

Comment

• hikfromstik
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2016

I shot both the Amax and eld factory ammo same session and the eld shot 2"-3" higher with tighter groups . So I'm wondering if the powder if different? Maybe a forum member experienced in powder can do a comparison pull down of the Amax, ELD and SST.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

HFS, interesting info. I'd hope that Hornady would find a way to bump their 65G velocities. I think there's plenty of room to safely do it.
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• 1911man
                            Warrior
                            • May 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                            HFS, interesting info. I'd hope that Hornady would find a way to bump their 65G velocities. I think there's plenty of room to safely do it.
                            I am going to try to get out and run at least 10 rounds over the chronograph in a few days. I will post my results once done.

Comment

• BjornF16
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              BC is higher at .506 G1, so yes, it is helpful to any 6.5mm you shoot it from.

My understanding is that it's an AMAX with the newer Heat Shield Tip.
                              Hornady lists G1 BC of 123 AMAX/SST as .510

So, other than the tip, is there really any difference between 123 AMAX and 123 ELD-M?
                              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
                              X