New to 6.5 but ready to build upper with questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jcjarmon View Post
    For the Gas tube, Id go to Primary Arms. I use JP adjustable gas blocks in all my ARs. For the bolt, buy it from the same place as the barrel, and have them check head-space before it leaves there hands. The mags you can get from eBay for 15 bucks apiece. They work fine. The gas block will make a lot of difference. Grendel barrels run an over-size gas port(.125) to accommodate lower chamber pressures of the 6.5 round. End result is considerable over gas. Like the bolt carrier slams into the back of the upper kind of over-gas.
    Addressed in the other thread as well.

This is incorrect. I don't know why anybody would intentionally cut a .125" gas port in 6.5 Grendel.

Chamber pressure is much lower than 5.56 NATO, but case capacity is much higher, and projectile weights are much higher as well, so you have very similar port pressures, and hence, port diameters.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

+1 on Primary Arms or Joeboboutfitters!
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-27-2017, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• JuanC
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2017

Are the Elander 17 round mags too large for the bench or sled for zeroing in the rifle? I ordered 2-17 round mags and 1-10 round mag but since they are the same price im thinking of just ordering 3-17 round mags instead. Also, would a muzzle device be optimal for hunting? Should I just throw a thread sleeve on it?

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X