X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I've stopped by CZ's booth at SHOT continuously for the past many years. I remember in 2012, I think it was, telling them they have a real winning combination with the 527 and Grendel, because everyone I knew at that time with one ordered the x39 only to have the barrel pulled, and rebarreled in 6.5 Grendel, which is a no-brainer.

Everyone that did that loved the combination. The guy that really turned me on to Grendel back in 2004 did a CZ527 Varmint HS, and was getting some crazy speeds with 123gr Scenar.

Anyway, when I told CZ that they might want to seriously consider 6.5 Grendel, since they already have the bolt, they said they were more likely to do a 6.8 SPC. It took them a while to finally see the light, and I'm glad they made this move, because these are already selling like crack.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dpw4x4
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2015

Well I got it now to figure out how to get the pic on here and it's typical cz fit and finish is nice as ever and it came with Warne scope rings too

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

CZ did a survey on their website in I think it was 2009 or so and the caliber most wanted was the 6.5 Grendel was the overwhelming choice of a new caliber but they never acted on it until the Howa was announced and introduced. In the first Howa thread on here I posted that I hoped it would get CZ off their butts and make the 527 in Grendel, guess it did.

I won't be in the market for either one since I am very happy with the CZ 527 I converted to Grendel a couple years ago.

Comment

• SDguy
          Warrior
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by gldprimr View Post
          Ordered CZ 527 Grendel from grabagun which now shows as out of stock. Interested in seeing how it shoots though ringmounts & scoping will be interesting as I do like a low mount. Will probably mount a 2-7x32 that I have on hand on it.
          Yea when I looked this morning there were two left. After I was done looking there was one left and my credit card was feeling a little more strain.

Darn enablers here:roll eyes:

You may find you need to mount scope a little higher than you prefer. Bolt configuration seems to dictate mounting roughly 3/16 higher than many would prefer due to interference concerns.

some have found a built up cheek rest can help w proper cheek weld in this scenario.

Comment

• Drift
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

That bolt/scope issue requiring a higher cheek rest should be fixed by now. Last year, CZ was selling replacement bolt handles cut a little differently so the scope could be lowered. I already had one from an aftermarket supplier, so I can't attest to how well CZs new ones work..but I've not heard any complaints since the change.

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

On the CZ choose a scope with a smaller ocular bell will allow for lower mounting, Some scopes have a large ocular bell and are less suited for he 527 IMO. CZ finally improved it some with a little different shape bolt handle like Calhoon was offering for several years. On the 2 I have I still use a cheek pad to get a better cheek weld even though one has the updated bolt.

DIP industries makes a neat rail for the 527s and is available in 0 MOA and 25 MOA versions.

Last edited by kmon; 06-08-2017, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• Drift
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

I got mine from "Custom Reloading Tools". It looks a lot better on my rifle then on their website.

Comment

• SDguy
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2015

Thanks Dinny for the heads up. Rifle arrived today and I am pleased with all I have seen thus far. Wood is more blond than any 527 I have had the pleasure to hold yet.

FFL asked me - May I ask you a question?

I responded Sure go ahead.

FFL - Why such a weird caliber:roll eyes:

Just Weird I guess.

Comment

• dpw4x4
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2015

Sounds like you got the beechwood stock one mine has regular walnut stock when I ordered mine is told him I would take which everyone come in first and it was the darker one and I finally picked a scope a sig whiskey 3 4x12x40mm and I will get pics posted soon been working 7days a week

Comment

• SDguy
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2015

negative on the beach wood

Originally posted by dpw4x4 View Post
                      Sounds like you got the beechwood stock one mine has regular walnut stock when I ordered mine is told him I would take which everyone come in first and it was the darker one and I finally picked a scope a sig whiskey 3 4x12x40mm and I will get pics posted soon been working 7days a week
                      No I am relatively confident this is a Walnut stock and the barrel length is the longer 24". never seen the beechwood stock before so there is a little doubt.

All for naut as the stock has already been replaced with a Boyd's At one in a sky blue laminate. Liking the adjustable length of pull and the adjustable comb on this stock. jury is still out on the interchangeable forearm and palm swell.

Comment

• dpw4x4
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2015

Is it one of the new style one that they are advertising wI think it looks like rubber grips. And next question is do you like. I looked at them but was not quite sold on it let me know how it works and your likes and dislikes if you would thanks

Comment

• SDguy
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2015

This the New stile w the switchable fore arm and palm swell as well as the adjustable comb and length of pull. Comb, palm swell grips & forearm are plastic. Need more time with this on the short term I like the package. a few things I will like different include a softer feel for the comb to cheek to be accomplished w a leather cover maybe?? Smooth out some of the sharp edges w sand paper or s scraper, area over the palm swell is most annoying to me.

I just wanted to try the adjustable comb and length of pull. and those features met my expectation with the exception the comb feels a little abrupt on the cheek. we will work out the bugs before long.

As for the CZ 527 rifle I would have liked a 3 round Mag. The new stock I removed from her was actually pretty nice. just may end up putting her back on and move the Boyds over to a 17 fireball or 204 ruger.

Comment

• jkingrph
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

I dropped by the dealer where I had placed my order. He had gotten no word, so called CZ and was told it could be two or more months. I had located one on line, called the dealer and asked him to hold for a couple of hours, so I could ensure my standing order was cancelled, which he did, in fact he said he would hold it for the remainder of the day. Quick call back to my local dealer, cancelled the order, then placed the order for the one in stock, and promptly got an E Mail invoice. Should have it Friday, or early next week.

Mine came in today, nice wood. Bolt is a bit stiff so will spend a few nights cycling it to smooth things out, and then lube trigger with a little synthetic grease and moly and adjust like I did on the other two CZ rifles I have.
                            Last edited by jkingrph; 07-03-2017, 11:31 PM.
                            Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• jkingrph
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2014

As usual the bolt was rather rough in cycling. I discovered a lot of mill marks on the rear upper receiver, just behind the scope mount bridge, where the bolt handle strikes and rubs when cycling. A little work with a fine ceramic stone smothed the marks, not so much as to remove all the blueing, and made a big improvement in cycling the bolt. This morning I removed the action from the stock and lubed the trigger with a mixture of moly slide paste and some synthetic superlube grease and got the unset pull down from just under 5 lbs to about 2.5 lbs, and got the set pull from 2 lbs down to about 12 oz, all much better. I am planning to make a trip to the range tomorrow, weather permitting.
                              Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• dpw4x4
                                Bloodstained
                                • Sep 2015

I couldn't take it through on a old 3x9 Bushnell yesterday and went to burn up some ammo there was factory amax's and some 120 gr.nosler's in nosler brass some 129 sst's and some new hornady black too the rifle at 100 loved the 129s with 7/8 group the 120s was a close 2second then the amax buy the time I got to the black groups opened up to 1 1/2 but it was from the heat this next weekend I will get pics posted from going again with a friend so we can have pictures and my new scope will be in too but this gun is a ton of fun to shoot

Comment

Working...
                                X