• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Josh
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2016

Hearing Protection Act

It's back and with a much better chance of actually passing and being signed into law this time around. So call your reps and tell them to support this. Call your senators and tell them to introduce a companion bill.

If you don't know who your congressmen are, go here and enter your zip code. You'll need the bill's number, H.R. 367 when you call. And yes, you need to call. Calling is the most effective method, written letters second, e-mails third.

Before you call, take a few minutes to get your message together. Be respectful, no need to go into a diatribe on silencers v. suppressors or anything like that. Just tell the aide that you're talking to that it's important to you that your representative support this bill. Let them know you'd like to see your rep sign on as a cosponsor if they haven't already.

Remember, don't ask your senators to support this bill, it's a House bill that has nothing to do with them. Instead ask them to introduce a companion bill in the Senate.

And while you're at it, throw in a good word for this one too. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-.../house-bill/38
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I never understood why I could person-to-person buy or sell a firearm silencer in some of the most restrictive nations (have done so, not read about it online), but it's a Federal crime to even make one in the US or sell some of the components.

Same goes for SBRs and SBSs. I can have a pistol with a drum mag, but not a rifle or shotgun properly fit for children or different tasks that require shorter length.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• newb
      Warrior
      • Feb 2015

That would be great!

Except for the ignorant masses in the concrete jungles of CA who control the rest of the state. They would rather outlaw firearms so there is no noise from them at all.......

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

CA has more conservatives than all the States surrounding her, but their votes don't count because of organized crime/Gerrymandering of anti-freedom activists who dominate that State's government.

CA also has this really unconstitutional ballot initiative garbage, where 50.1% of the population can take away inalienable rights of their neighbors, enforced by the statists in Sacramento, LA, and SF. Activist, anti-constitutionalist Federal District judges then uphold these offenses, and it never goes to SCOTUS.

But since this thread is about Federal legislation, there is no reason to focus on CA in this thread.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• wraith1516
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Hopefully California falls off into the sea are they all drowned
          Last edited by wraith1516; 01-12-2017, 05:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

While I think it would be awesome to walk into my LGS and purchase any suppressor that I wanted and walk out 10 minutes late with it in hand, I shudder to think what that is going to do to the retail prices.

You are already spending $800-$1400 as it is for a good one. The demand goes up the prices to follow. It will turn right back into a "Rich mans toy".
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

I spoke to 2 different supressor companies. Amtac being one of them. They said cost would be cut in half. They have allot of paper work to do and track to be able to manufacture and distribute suppressors and have to hire staff to do that and keep all the records. There will also be allot more companies starting to make them and people will be able to make their own without headache.

Comment

• explorecaves
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                While I think it would be awesome to walk into my LGS and purchase any suppressor that I wanted and walk out 10 minutes late with it in hand, I shudder to think what that is going to do to the retail prices.

You are already spending $800-$1400 as it is for a good one. The demand goes up the prices to follow. It will turn right back into a "Rich mans toy".
                Temporarily... but, as with the AR world, as more manufacturers spool up production, prices will drop.

Comment

• Josh
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                  The demand goes up the prices to follow.
                  Supply will go up too. As manufacturers buy more raw material to satisfy the demand, their costs will drop. I doubt prices will rise significantly, even in the short term. These things don't become law overnight. As manufacturers start getting indications that it's a sure thing they'll start spooling up.

Comment

• explorecaves
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Senate companion bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...-bill/59?q=%7B

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Don't forget it will become easier to export and import if taken off the NFA list. With no tariff then competition will increase which bring prices down. The market stops being an oligopoly and the margin currently sitting on US suppressors for brand equity is less tolerated. If some Chinese, or even US manufacturer decides to turn their XYZ CNC machine to producing suppressors on the weekend then the lower end of the market becomes swamped. Foreign suppressors like Ase Utra will be available. With less Government paperwork it will be a simple process, Suppressor designs are not rocket science, they just need close tolerances. Prices would come down.

Comment

• newb
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        But since this thread is about Federal legislation, there is no reason to focus on CA in this thread.
                        Not about focus. I'm all for the step to change things on the federal level.

Just a gripe that we won't benefit here from it.

I know I can do something about it -leave the state- but for the time being I am here and suffer for the choice to temporarily stay here....

Comment

• Drift
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2014

Well I just e mailed my Rep and Senator. I'll call early next week.

Comment

• Texas
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2016

The cost of maintaining NFA records is significant for a company, and if a suppressor is not an NFA item, then there is really no ATF paperwork required since it will not be a firearm. The importation of suppressors is a different issue since they fall under ITAR as military equipment and the import/export is controlled by the State Department.

Comment

• Josh
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                              The cost of maintaining NFA records is significant for a company, and if a suppressor is not an NFA item, then there is really no ATF paperwork required since it will not be a firearm. The importation of suppressors is a different issue since they fall under ITAR as military equipment and the import/export is controlled by the State Department.
                              Silencers would still be firearms, just Title I instead of Title II. They'd still require 4473s and be subject to FET.

Comment

Working...
                              X