X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

As for the cost of a suppressor. If suppressors were treated the same as a long gun you could make your own just like a long gun. Then they would cost..what.. $50-$100?

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Silencers would still be firearms, just Title I instead of Title II. They'd still require 4473s and be subject to FET.
      a suppressor is not capable of expelling a projectile by an explosive device and is only include by definition in the National Firearms Act of 1934. If it is defined in the hearing protection act as a silencer/suppressor and is removed from the definition of the 1934 NFA, it will not be a firearm Assuming the Hearing protection act passess i can make a suppressor for my personal use and no 4473 would be required. if the definition is removed, it does not come under the NFA jurisdiction.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
        Warrior
        • Apr 2013

(http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...p-arrives.html)

Comment

• wganz
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2015

IMO, this is how it will go.

What is now in our favor is that we have veterans that for 10+ years that used suppressors on their M4's and know the truth about cans plus the benefits. As a society, we're more urbanized and there is even a greater need to keep the noise nuisance down.

There will be a lag between time it is signed and effective. The manufacturers will start round-the-clock, three shift production to build up inventory in this lag. The first couple of months will have everything sold out at a premium over MSRP due to unpent demand. Once manufacturing catches up and new startups start supplying goods into the market, prices will start to drop. There will be a flood of now legit solvent trap kits and companies permapinning these onto 10.5" uppers to give >16.01" NFA free uppers.

Unfortunately, there will be a lot of AirSoft/Tapco/Hesse grade suppressors hoisted off on unsuspecting buyers. The market will take 2-3 years to even up and winnow out the trash vs. decent Tier 1 suppressors. Some current manufacturers may not make it but most will adapt to make serious bank off of the change.

As it was said somewhere else, "I'll have more cans than Campbell's soup!"

Comment

• Josh
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Texas View Post
            a suppressor is not capable of expelling a projectile by an explosive device and is only include by definition in the National Firearms Act of 1934. If it is defined in the hearing protection act as a silencer/suppressor and is removed from the definition of the 1934 NFA, it will not be a firearm Assuming the Hearing protection act passess i can make a suppressor for my personal use and no 4473 would be required. if the definition is removed, it does not come under the NFA jurisdiction.
            Actually, no, silencers aren't even defined under Title 26, which is the NFA. Title 26 literally tells you to see Title 18 for the definition of a silencer. So, yes, they'd be treated just like any other Title I firearm. Yes you could build one at home without a 4473, just like you can with any other Title I firearm. But if you want to buy one from an FFL, a 4473 would be required. You'd also be able to buy them FTF with no 4473 as long as your state doesn't say otherwise. But they'd still be considered firearms.

Comment

• Texas
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2016

Actually, no, silencers aren't even defined under Title 26, which is the NFA. Title 26 literally tells you to see Title 18 for the definition of a silencer. So, yes, they'd be treated just like any other Title I firearm. Yes you could build one at home without a 4473, just like you can with any other Title I firearm. But if you want to buy one from an FFL, a 4473 would be required. You'd also be able to buy them FTF with no 4473 as long as your state doesn't say otherwise. But they'd still be considered firearms.

Comment

• Josh
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2016

Read what it says today, not what it said in 1934.

And here's Title 18 chapter 44, the Gun Control Act of 1968

You'll notice in the original text any rifle with a barrel less than 18" was an SBR and silencers aren't defined at all.

The current text of the NFA still doesn't define silencers but tells you to refer to the Gun Control Act where they are defined. As written the HPA removes silencers from the NFA but not the GCA.
                Last edited by Josh; 01-18-2017, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• kiloechoxray
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2017

Silencers would still be firearms, just Title I instead of Title II. They'd still require 4473s and be subject to FET.
                  Under this status, wouldn't it then be legal for me to make myself suppressors for my own lawful purposes as long as I'm not selling them?

Comment

• Josh
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by kiloechoxray View Post
                    Under this status, wouldn't it then be legal for me to make myself suppressors for my own lawful purposes as long as I'm not selling them?
                    Yes. You could sell one you decided you didn't want later down the road. You just can't build with the intent to sell.

Comment

Working...
                    X