When will Federal Gold Medal Match 6.5 Grendel ammo hit the stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

When will Federal Gold Medal Match 6.5 Grendel ammo hit the stores?

Anyone know when Federal will start selling the Gold Medal Match ammo? Suppose to be soon from what I read.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Ever since a Federal rep posted on the Federal Premium Facebook page that they're planning more 65G loads, I've been watching to see what they come up with.

I'm wanting 90gr solid-copper E-Tip and 100gr 6.5mm Fusion. But we'll see. . . .

UPDATE: Just ran across mention of 6.5 Grendel 120 Fusion in Federal's MSR line.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• m796rider
      Warrior
      • Jul 2011

Federal has a brand new 6.5 Grendel Gold Medal Match offering for 2017 that uses the Berger 130gr Hybrid OTM bullet.

Comment

• 1911man
        Warrior
        • May 2015

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
        Federal has a brand new 6.5 Grendel Gold Medal Match offering for 2017 that uses the Berger 130gr Hybrid OTM bullet.
        Say what? Where did you get this info? That would be awesome!

Comment

• m796rider
          Warrior
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
          Say what? Where did you get this info? That would be awesome!

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
            This is fantastic news. Perhaps this will encourage Hornady to up their game and offer a load with the 130 ELD-M.
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Casper77
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2015

Good stuff! Is Federal selling their brass yet?

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

$34.95 no thanks.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• m796rider
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                  $34.95 no thanks.
                  Hornady 123gr SST retails at $31.07, but obviously you can get it much cheaper than that... I would not read too much into MSRP.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Keep your eyes open for a new load from Federal. They already have the American Eagle brand out with OTM loads. Think about what they are known for in precision rifle shooting, then think of what that brand might be....
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• pajasonc
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                      $34.95 no thanks.
                      Will sell for 25 to 28 a box. Not cheap but if its comparable to their other ammo, its nearly as good as a top notch handload. The fusion is what excites me. Stuff has always been fast in my 308 bolt(almost superformance fast) with a good bonded pretty high BC bullet. Its also typically pretty cheap!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

There's a big difference between suggested retail and actual pricing, especially with ammoseek. You can get .308 Win. 168gr FGMM right now for $17.95, and 175gr FGMM for $21.37.

Once 6.5 Grendel Federal Gold Medal Match hits distributors, retailers will sell it for what they think is competitive or within the marketing strategy of their stores.

Some people price ammo higher intentionally so they can have inventory or follow some type of points/margins scheme of the company, some price it lower so they can move volume.

Look at Hornady Grendel suggested retail and what we really get it for as an example. The new 123gr ELD-M goes for $17.57, with suggested retail at $28.33, so I suspect we'll see FGMM at $25 retail. Keep in mind the bullet they're using is one of the most expensive on the market, but its performance is very high as well when looking at the BC.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

I've always thought even the 129/130 class was still too heavy for 65G, but I love Berger's 6.5 130 Hybrid. Probably won't be able to help myself getting some just to adore that beautiful ogive.

I've been running numbers in ballistics software — yet again — and it really is quite difficult to get away from the wind-drift benefits of the heavier, high BC bullets — even in the compact 65G.
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

129 and 130gr have been some of the original projectile weights for factory ammo since Alexander Arms introduced the cartridge, namely:

129gr SST
                            130gr Swift Scirocco

Those have been out for over a decade if memory serves me right.

Then came Precision Firearm's 130gr Nosler Accubond, and 129gr Nosler Accubond Long Range (.553 Litz G1 BC and 1300fps expansion).

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

Agree, Paul, and you've made an excellent argument for the 65G and the Nosler 129 ABLR in an AR being an even better modern .30-30.

Comment

Working...
                              X