When will Federal Gold Medal Match 6.5 Grendel ammo hit the stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

I hope yall are right about the price, but don't I remember Federals first offering being several bucks higher than hornady?

If this round is what yall say it is, I don't mind paying a bit more than hornady but I don't think I would pay $10 per box more.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Just hang tight rabid,, good things are coming- it takes time and patience. And a ton of input , as I found out recentely. Chill.... Wait.. It will be worth the wait - soon

The R&D departments of all major bullet Mfg's. , are overrun with requests for bullets. I'm 1 of the last decades BRAT'S on this for Hornady, and a few others.

I want short range pills-under 300 yds.= most deer hunters shooting arenas. Lethality is main Goal.

Just got off the phone with BFT, He's hoping for lighter GMX pills as I do.
      Last edited by sneaky one; 01-13-2017, 02:43 AM.

Comment

• ahillock
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
        I want short range pills-under 300 yds.= most deer hunters shooting arenas. Lethality is main Goal.

Just got off the phone with BFT, He's hoping for lighter GMX pills as I do.
        What do you want, 100-110 gr pills?

Comment

• pajasonc
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ahillock View Post
          What do you want, 100-110 gr pills?
          Be nice if they would do a 100 or 110 that would open up at lower velocity. Their 1800 fps is crap it the gmx doesn't really "expand" at 1800 fps, look at their pictures for 1800 fps. Those bullets need 2200 fps. If they could make them expand well at 1600 fps it would be a great hunting bullet.

Comment

• Dinny
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

I just got an email reply from Federal. Their MSR Grendel ammo should be on dealers' shelves in the next few months.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• ahillock
              Warrior
              • Jan 2016

Bump, any update from Shot Show about expected release date?

Comment

• pajasonc
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

no release date but they do now show it on their website. Not sure how accurate the info is but only shows a bc of 340. Muzzle velocity is 2600 fps.

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
                  no release date but they do now show it on their website. Not sure how accurate the info is but only shows a bc of 340. Muzzle velocity is 2600 fps.
                  That's the data for the 120 grain Fusion load. The GMM shows a BC of .56 and MV of 2400. I got all excited wondering how they managed to get 2600fps with a 130 grain bullet!

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• pajasonc
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                    That's the data for the 120 grain Fusion load. The GMM shows a BC of .56 and MV of 2400. I got all excited wondering how they managed to get 2600fps with a 130 grain bullet!

http://www.federalpremium.com/ammuni...r/gm65gdlbh130
                    sorry should have specified which one. Still hope the BC is wrong on the fusion 120 gr. I expected something around .430.
                    Interestingly they show the grendel and blackout msr loads as for large game like elk. While the 338 federal loading is for medium game! So there are definitely some errors on the page. Wouldnt take anything on there as fact yet!

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Yeah, some errors are there! Just run the numbers in your head- it all makes sense then. Data entry issues.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

You can get a 130gr to go 2600fps with LVR or CFE in some 24" barrels.

If you look in Volume II (2nd Printing), we have pressure-tested data for the 129gr ABLR from 18" at 2410fps with CFE223. That load does not exceed 50ksi in the SAAMI chamber it was tested in.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• F224
                          Unwashed
                          • Apr 2016

My experience with the 110gr V-max bullets in the 6.8spcRem and 300BLKOUT has been interesting. Those bullets are designed for a 3300fps launch speed in the 270 and 30.06. In the 6.8 & 300BK that start out at under 2600fps, shooting problem deer in town for my PD, I see bang-flops and 1/2 dollar exit holes. They almost act just like a standard Remington Core-lock. I would think the 95gr V-max in the 6.5 Grendel would be much the same. Too bad Sierra does not offer a 95-100gr SBT for this speed range (1500-2500fps), if it acted like their 100gr 6mm ProHunter SBT, it would be deadly on deer and antelope.

I have some of the 95gr V-max bullets here ready for load testing when it warms up in Iowa, hopefully I can get some results up for you guys in early March using my new Howa Mini HB with thw 21" barrel.

Comment

Working...
                          X