• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Nest Sow with Piglets

Rather weird night. I was anticipating the possibility of getting hogs at the feeders (110 and 120 yards away) and ended up with a sow and piglets actually nested within a stone's through of the stand I was using. I had been told about nested hogs previously. Sows will sometimes nest to have piglets. During that time, they will be solitary until after the piglets are large enough to travel with the sounder, usually not more than 10-14 days after being born (so I have been told/read somewhere).

So I knew I had a target and figure it was a hog, but I was looking through so much brush, I could not tell what it was. I tried making a lot of noise to get the animal to move, but it would not get up. I could see it move around every so often, but never see enough of the animal to know what it was.

Anyhow, too much magnification for short distance shooting and was just barely inside the minimal focal distance for the scope when it came time to take a shot. My goal was to get a positive identification before pulling the trigger and the terrain, brush, and distance were not helping me at all.

I saw at least 4 piglets, hit 1 but was unable to find it. I had to use loppers to gain access to the sheltered area constructed by the sow. The piglets actually had a big stack of hay to hide under and to use for warmth. Pretty neat.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Interesting. Learn sumthin' every day!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• JuanC
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2017

Awesome video, have been following and watching your videos for some time. Pretty cool your a member here. What kind of setup are you running?

Comment

• Slappy
        Warrior
        • Feb 2014

Way COOL!! Did you get any of the little ones?? BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Juan, for this hunt, I am running an Alexander Arms upper with a 20" Shilen hbar upgrade on an LMT lower with 2 stage trigger. The suppressor is a Surefire Genesis. The ammo is Hornady SST 123 gr. factory ammo. The spent brass is caught in a brass catcher from Tactical Brass Recovery. The scope is an IR Defense, IR Hunter MKIII 60mm 4.5x thermal scope. I am powering it with a supplemental battery pack from Ultimate Night Vision and recording the hunt via a DVR from UNV as well.

No piglets, Slappy, but not without first making a fool of myself trying to catch a couple of them. I might have gotten one on open terrain, but not among the tree branches and such. I had noted in the video that there were piglets in that grass pile the sow had brought in. Well, I tried digging through it and as soon as I would uncover a piglet, it would either burrow further into the pile or take of running. It was craziness.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Once again thank you for the fine video work. We got into a sounder this evening in Fannin County just before dark. Two rifles going, it was fun!

Comment

• WillD
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2014

A friend and I used to hog hunt on a ranch outside Beeville that had a feedlot/hog magnet on it. My friend would usually carry a 22 WMR in addition to a centerfire. I can remember a couple of occasions we heard rustling in the brush while walking the senderos and out came a file of piglets. The 22 WMR was used to collect 4-5 piglets before they figured out their buddies weren't napping. I remember kidding him about the size of the piggies because once gutted and skinned they looked like ham sandwiches with bones. He didn't share but he did report they were delicious.

-WillD-
              Member since 03/2011, pre-SAAMI, Pre-crash

Comment

Working...
              X