X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

Some might think it is working under pressure but I seem to get along best under those circumstances. When it just has to get done then I do what is necessary to complete the targets I have set for myself.
    All the cases were shortened this morning, then the inside/outside chamfer and have started the annealing process.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The knife I have from you, what's the rust issue upon it -any or none. if some issue - which product do you use. Oil it- ?

I'm used to SS knives mostly here. Thanks VG !

It's about 2pm tomorrow in New Zealand , RIGHT? GET YOUR BRAIN ABOUT THE FUTURE MATES! Ooops , sticky keys ..

VG and his bride are just the best.. I would like to fly down for a 4 day visit some time in the future.
      My bride said no,,, it takes away from our small cruise line thingy to Alaska , - she has family there for salmon & Halibut fishing--- Family always wins- if sane..

Someday...
      Last edited by sneaky one; 10-06-2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

Dan, your hunting bowie is made from a farriers rasp (myrtle handles), so is carbon steel and if left wet it will have a rust issue. Even in use it will become patinated over time which can enhance the visual imho. I always wipe my blades dry as soon after use as I can and give them a rub with oily rag for preotection.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Safe oil recommendations? Thanks for all you do here, BTW.

Most of my bbls, and knives are SS.

I've been showing this knife around---- you may get a bunch more orders next year.

Thanks .Dan
          Last edited by sneaky one; 10-07-2017, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
            Safe oil recommendations? Thanks for all you do here, BTW.

Most of my bbls, and knives are SS.
            That is one good looking knife sneaky, congrats

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

I have a rag in a jar soaked in mobil oil and have carbon steel knives I made from the 70's on that have no rust but have a nice aged patina. I use the same oil rag on my CM barrels as well and not a single spec of rust.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                Chieftain
                • Apr 2012

The forum knife project (for another forum) has got underway and posted up during the week with all aspects of design and presentation confirmed. It seems that some like to have a knife (and or other gear) that is a connection to their favourite forum hangout.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

VG , I Re found a product from ? Small 1 oz bottle, goes on wet, dries instantly- basically a dry film lube,. I'll get the brand and post it up here. Better than an oily rag and jar afield.

Thanks,

Comment

• Von Gruff
                    Chieftain
                    • Apr 2012

I am not away from the base camp overnight so any knife used is always cleaned up either on the hide of the dead animal, my pants leg or dry grass till I get back to where it may be taken care of but in any case other options are always worth considering.
                    Last edited by Von Gruff; 10-22-2017, 10:46 PM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

I coat my fish filleting knife with olive oil. It gets a lot of salt water on it and it seems to work.

Got that idea from a South African game guide who used it on the edges of his arrows in bow hunting. The meat you harvest is not tainted by inedible motor-type oil.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                        Chieftain
                        • Apr 2012

Good idea Klem. I always had an oily rag for the rifle wipedown and just carried it over to my knives but the olive oil or one of the other veg oils would be a better food safe oil for the knives.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Here it is- Otis brand- Special ForcesDry Lube

Cleans,prevents rust, lubes,penetrates moisture dispersant.

non dust attracting--2 fluid ozs. I remember using this on fully squeaky clean ar carriers , bolts, before cLP. Or , Slip 2000 was added in, as for all items to be coated.
                          Just wipe off the coating before use- re-apply after cleaned.

My knife will see minimum dirty work, only on special hunts,- it will be handed down many decades from now to my son. He wants it -now! Nope.

It was made to my specs, I'm to enjoy ownership till I Cack.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 10-23-2017, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                            Chieftain
                            • Apr 2012

Otis Special Forces Dry Lube

Labels: Weapon Acessories

Most in the tactical community have heard of Otis and know of their reputation for quality firearms cleaning products. I was able to try their military deluxe cleaning kit and was really amazed at how versatile it was. A newer product that Otis has come out with is their dry lubricant. It's made for dusty environments where a wet lubricant will attract dust, sand, and other gunk. Not only is it a lubricant but it can also be used as a cleaner and rust inhibitor/moisture displacer.

One thing to note is that you don't want to over do it on this lubricant. I know that a lot of times we tend to drench the bolt of our rifles with oil, which is fine with normal oil, but with this dry lubricant you want just enough to get a light coat on the parts (one drop is enough to cover 1 square inch). The reason for this is because this lubricant is in liquid form and then dries quickly to become a dry lubricant. If you use too much there's the possibility of it working properly. This has not been a problem for me since I've only used enough to lightly coat the parts. After applying the lubricant it only takes about 30 seconds for it to start drying. It dries completely and bonds to the metal within a matter of minutes.

I've used this exclusively on my firearms since receiving it. I've used it on my Glock, AR15, and Remington .22. It's worked fine in these firearms. I have no scientific way of proving it but it seems to work just as well as regular wet lubricants.

I've also used this in a couple application that it wasn't necessarily designed for. One way I've used it is on my hair clippers. Since the wet lubricants that are made for them tend to attract hair. The hair builds up on the clippers causing them to not work quite like they should. With this lubricant that doesn't happen.

I've also used this lubricant on all of my pocket knives. For one it helps in the summer time where humidity is high and your body sweats and tends to rust a pocket knife. The moisture displacing properties of this lubricant help to prevent rust on the blade. The pivot point on a pocket knife always attracts dust and pocket lint with wet lubricants. I find myself blasting the lint out often with either canned air or powder blast and then reapplying a wet lubricant. With the Otis dry lubricant this isn't necessary quite so often, and in fact I haven't had to do this to my knives since I applied the Otis lube.

Another thing to remember with this lubricant when using it to clean your firearms is that you'll want to flush it away with a solvent once the part is cleaned and then reapply a light coat of clean lubricant.

If you're in a dusty environment this lubricant is an excellent choice for your. I also recommend it for anyone that doesn't or isn't able to do regular maintenance on your firearms and has the problem of lint, dust or grime building up on a wet lubricant, this will work for you as well. Firearms carried inside the waistband or in the pocket will tend to build up lint quickly which is why I use this for my concealed carry Glock as well. This lubricant will find it's place for almost anyone in the tactical, law enforcement, or military community.

MSRP:

.5 oz - $2.15

2 oz - $5.45

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

It will be fine for storing any metal item , that has the potential of rust, or being corroded, also that doesn't see a lot of usage. Like my new knife...

Thanks Knife man VG.

Clean off with isopropyl alcohol before using on any meats cuts, or other food sources. Contact Otis . com if in doubt.
                              Last edited by sneaky one; 10-27-2017, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                                Chieftain
                                • Apr 2012

Just added this pair to my patterns and will sell them as a pair with the hunter butcher and boner being capable of most chores a hunter may have. The hunter butcher has a 4 1/2 inch 1095 blade with buffalo horn bolster and blackwood handle while the boner has a 4 inch 1095 blade and blackwood handles. They will both come in standard carry sheaths. Am gong to make a few sets and will see how they are recieved.

I made another little field scalpel with 2 1/2 inch 1084 blade as well and have modified the handle shape from the original on the handle end shape which makes it sit more comfortably in hand.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Working...
                                X