+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 LastLast
    We have a great steel recycling yard here with a wide variety of steel for sale at $1 a kg with everything from light angle, round and flat bar, pipe and sheet right through to heavy industry off cuts and leftovers and it is public access to wander round to choose what we want, take it to the scales , report the weight to the office and pay for it, if we can lift it that is, otherwise they will do the shifting with their forklift and even cut to order if you dont want the whole piece that is there. They have a good store of brass, copper, and stainless steel for knifemaking accents as well so it is always on my to do list when I go into the city.

I am really looking forward to getting the light hunter (the same as Montana's knife) and field scalpel back from my friend who is heat treating it for (they are in N690 SS which I cant HT here) me as I have the most spectacular piece of olivewood for a handle set. It is end grain so am laminating it to a thin slice of dark walnut to make sure it is protected from stress splits. I have some buffalo horn for the field scalpel but not sure what I will use for the boner and the hunter skinner that will go together to comprise my new 4 knife hunting set.
    Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-06-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

This will be my hunting set although I will only carry the light hunter with the hunter/skinner and the boner staying at the truck for when I carry the gutted and deheaded animal back for dressing on the hill. Not sure when I will use the field scalpel but felt it was such a neat little knife that I just had to have one. I adapted the design from the rabbit knife I made in the 70's which has turned out to be an excellent little knife. Will probably use it more at home in the fruit season for preparing the plums and pears for the preserves, jams and sauces I make from them.

In my next order in from the US I will get a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 18 length of this Tamboti ( Spirostachys Africana aka African Cocobolo or African Sandalwood)

and the same size of olivewood (but long grain rather than the end grain scales I was given)

It will probably mean I wont be able to finish the hunter skinner and the boner for another month or two as I just missed out on getting them in the package that is on its way now.

This is the dimensions of the field scalpel and the boning knife
    Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-06-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

We have a good scrap yard here too. I found a set of forks that I put on my Bob Cat skid steer and paid scrap weight for. Lots of other goodies if one looks for them.
    Those are some beautiful pieces of wood, they will look great on any knife. If you ever get a chance to make another boner please give me a PM, I am very impressed by your light hunter and would love to have a companion boner if you get the time.

Pm inbound Montana. I can profile and grind another boner to go in with this batch when they are HT if that suits.
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    Pm inbound Montana. I can profile and grind another boner to go in with this batch when they are HT if that suits.
    Sounds great, thank you!

Things came together this morning when the regulator arrived and I could get back to the shed. It didn't take long to get things assembled and the forge fired up. I had an old pick that I will never use again so I cut one of the pick arms off so it would fit in the forge to see how long it would take to get to red heat. I turned the vodeo off just before it reached the heat as it is a bit boring but from cold it took about 7 minutes to get to heat so I plunged it into the oil quench tank to bring the oil to temp for quenching the blades I was about to heat treat.
    6 minutes of watching it heat up but for me it was interesting so this is the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cli...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-10-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

I had ground another two boning knifes yesterday as I had another one to do for Montana, and thought to get one ahead for a stock blade that I would just have to put a handle on when needed.
    I was very surprised to find just how quick it was to heat treat the blades in the forge with 8 being done in about as many minutes.
    I had ground another two boning knifes yesterday as I had another order for one and thought to get one ahead for a stock blade that I would just have to put a handle on when needed.
    I was very surprised to find just how quick it was to heat treat the blades in the forge with 8 being done in about as many minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puwv...ature=youtu.be

This was the blades after heat treating anf tempering

Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

I have these knives uo to the stage where the handles are having the finish applied so today I started on the sheaths.
    I got in a new double shoulder of 3mm (1/8) cowhide so marked out the patterns with as little waste as possible.

I had a little lefy from the previous piece so made up a couple to make sure my new patterns were fitting the knives propperly and then cut out the rest.

With the belt loops sewn in and the welt glued in I will leave them till the adjustable U groover gets here to make the turn over of the back to the front much easier. A friend showed me his and how he runs a couple of grooves down the inside of the sheath either side of the center line and the leather folds over and lies much flatter for punching the stitch holes.

Before I started this morning I made a third hand to make the stitching much easier and when I stitched u the couple of trial sheaths I was quite impressed with how much easier it is compared to how I had been doing it for the last near 50 years.
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

So this is the knives as they stand at the moment. They still have to have the final blade finish and be sharpened.
    First are some hunter skinner and this first one with cocobolo scales I was going to keep for myself, but will probably sell it on as I have some lovely wood coming from the US, thanks again to Frank (on another forum) who has made much of this possible by sourcing and shipping various goodies for me.

walnut and ebony

walnut and jarah

A wapiti hunter in walnut and hickory
    Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-21-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

and a few boners

First is a special order companion knife to go with a light hunter in the same walnut and jarah shipped of to Montana a short while back

One for myself in a specail piece of walnut cut from my late fathers yard in the early 80's

And a plain walnut one just to start getting one or two ahead for casual sales.

I seem to have missed getting a pic of a general hunter in walnut and jarah but it is on the bench anyway and as ready as these are.
    In this pic of them in the sheaths thata still have to be hot wax dipped there is three extra that are still to be finished. On the far left is my own personal light hunter in a fantastic piece of olivewood and buffalo horn that I will show propperly when it is finished with the top left being a new killing knife (for the sheep) with walnut and copper pins, and a little field scalpel with buffaol horn scales.
    Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-21-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max