X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

There was progress today with the forge bench done and everything set up so as soon as the new regilator gets here it will be all go.
    I took all my anvil parts down to the garrage and had it all welded together. After a bit of time cleaning up all the welds and splaters it was bolted to the stool top which will be bolted to the concrete floor but in all reality it is really quite stable.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Von Gruff
      Chieftain
      • Apr 2012

I did a short video of it all sorted for now.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

I was talking to the supply outfit about the regulator (and to order another 8 ft of blade stock) and it should be here in the morning so the forge can get its first heat up. I had a batch of knives ground up so gave then a hand sand to 360 to be ready for the heat treat which I cant do for a couple of days as I have been helping a friend to shift house (to a town an hour away) so it wont be untill I get that sorted out that I can get back to the shed.

A boner, general hunter, 3 hunter skinners and a wapiti hunter. One of the hunter skinners and the boner are for me. I have a field scalpel and a light hunter (for myself) away being heat treated as it is in a SS (N690) which I cant do with my equipment.

Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-04-2017, 11:00 PM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Your anvil, forge, forge stand, and quench tank look great. The anvil looks solid enough not to bolt down. All your projects are made to work easy and convenient for the work intended, nice job. I like the looks of your boner knife, looking forward to seeing it and your other knives come alive.

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

I wish I could scavenge through the local recycling yards like you could 20 years ago. Anymore they won't allow you too because they are afraid of litigation. It's almost impossible to find scrap pieces unless you get them before they get to the recyclers or you buy them off of ebay. Great work on the forge and anvil. I've been thinking about making a forge for a couple of years now and also been looking for a reasonable prices anvil at flea markets etc. Recently saw a 150-200# anvil that had been worn out by a man's grandfather. I mean over 1/2 of the top of the anvil had been beaten off or deformed. Been trying to find some railroad track to possibly use, but no luck their either.

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

We have a great steel recycling yard here with a wide variety of steel for sale at $1 a kg with everything from light angle, round and flat bar, pipe and sheet right through to heavy industry off cuts and leftovers and it is public access to wander round to choose what we want, take it to the scales , report the weight to the office and pay for it, if we can lift it that is, otherwise they will do the shifting with their forklift and even cut to order if you dont want the whole piece that is there. They have a good store of brass, copper, and stainless steel for knifemaking accents as well so it is always on my to do list when I go into the city.

I am really looking forward to getting the light hunter (the same as Montana's knife) and field scalpel back from my friend who is heat treating it for (they are in N690 SS which I cant HT here) me as I have the most spectacular piece of olivewood for a handle set. It is end grain so am laminating it to a thin slice of dark walnut to make sure it is protected from stress splits. I have some buffalo horn for the field scalpel but not sure what I will use for the boner and the hunter skinner that will go together to comprise my new 4 knife hunting set.
              Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-06-2017, 07:54 PM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                Chieftain
                • Apr 2012

This will be my hunting set although I will only carry the light hunter with the hunter/skinner and the boner staying at the truck for when I carry the gutted and deheaded animal back for dressing on the hill. Not sure when I will use the field scalpel but felt it was such a neat little knife that I just had to have one. I adapted the design from the rabbit knife I made in the 70's which has turned out to be an excellent little knife. Will probably use it more at home in the fruit season for preparing the plums and pears for the preserves, jams and sauces I make from them.

In my next order in from the US I will get a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 18 length of this Tamboti ( Spirostachys Africana aka African Cocobolo or African Sandalwood)

and the same size of olivewood (but long grain rather than the end grain scales I was given)

It will probably mean I wont be able to finish the hunter skinner and the boner for another month or two as I just missed out on getting them in the package that is on its way now.

This is the dimensions of the field scalpel and the boning knife
                Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-06-2017, 07:56 PM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

We have a good scrap yard here too. I found a set of forks that I put on my Bob Cat skid steer and paid scrap weight for. Lots of other goodies if one looks for them.
                  Those are some beautiful pieces of wood, they will look great on any knife. If you ever get a chance to make another boner please give me a PM, I am very impressed by your light hunter and would love to have a companion boner if you get the time.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                    Chieftain
                    • Apr 2012

Pm inbound Montana. I can profile and grind another boner to go in with this batch when they are HT if that suits.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
                      Pm inbound Montana. I can profile and grind another boner to go in with this batch when they are HT if that suits.
                      Sounds great, thank you!

Comment

• Von Gruff
                        Chieftain
                        • Apr 2012

Things came together this morning when the regulator arrived and I could get back to the shed. It didn't take long to get things assembled and the forge fired up. I had an old pick that I will never use again so I cut one of the pick arms off so it would fit in the forge to see how long it would take to get to red heat. I turned the vodeo off just before it reached the heat as it is a bit boring but from cold it took about 7 minutes to get to heat so I plunged it into the oil quench tank to bring the oil to temp for quenching the blades I was about to heat treat.
                        6 minutes of watching it heat up but for me it was interesting so this is the video
                        Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-10-2017, 09:24 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                          Chieftain
                          • Apr 2012

I had ground another two boning knifes yesterday as I had another one to do for Montana, and thought to get one ahead for a stock blade that I would just have to put a handle on when needed.
                          I was very surprised to find just how quick it was to heat treat the blades in the forge with 8 being done in about as many minutes.
                          I had ground another two boning knifes yesterday as I had another order for one and thought to get one ahead for a stock blade that I would just have to put a handle on when needed.
                          I was very surprised to find just how quick it was to heat treat the blades in the forge with 8 being done in about as many minutes.

This was the blades after heat treating anf tempering

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                            Chieftain
                            • Apr 2012

I have these knives uo to the stage where the handles are having the finish applied so today I started on the sheaths.
                            I got in a new double shoulder of 3mm (1/8) cowhide so marked out the patterns with as little waste as possible.

I had a little lefy from the previous piece so made up a couple to make sure my new patterns were fitting the knives propperly and then cut out the rest.

With the belt loops sewn in and the welt glued in I will leave them till the adjustable U groover gets here to make the turn over of the back to the front much easier. A friend showed me his and how he runs a couple of grooves down the inside of the sheath either side of the center line and the leather folds over and lies much flatter for punching the stitch holes.

Before I started this morning I made a third hand to make the stitching much easier and when I stitched u the couple of trial sheaths I was quite impressed with how much easier it is compared to how I had been doing it for the last near 50 years.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

So this is the knives as they stand at the moment. They still have to have the final blade finish and be sharpened.
                              First are some hunter skinner and this first one with cocobolo scales I was going to keep for myself, but will probably sell it on as I have some lovely wood coming from the US, thanks again to Frank (on another forum) who has made much of this possible by sourcing and shipping various goodies for me.

walnut and ebony

walnut and jarah

A wapiti hunter in walnut and hickory
                              Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-21-2017, 07:28 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                                Chieftain
                                • Apr 2012

and a few boners

First is a special order companion knife to go with a light hunter in the same walnut and jarah shipped of to Montana a short while back

One for myself in a specail piece of walnut cut from my late fathers yard in the early 80's

And a plain walnut one just to start getting one or two ahead for casual sales.

I seem to have missed getting a pic of a general hunter in walnut and jarah but it is on the bench anyway and as ready as these are.
                                In this pic of them in the sheaths thata still have to be hot wax dipped there is three extra that are still to be finished. On the far left is my own personal light hunter in a fantastic piece of olivewood and buffalo horn that I will show propperly when it is finished with the top left being a new killing knife (for the sheep) with walnut and copper pins, and a little field scalpel with buffaol horn scales.
                                Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-21-2017, 07:28 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Working...
                                X