Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Hunting knives and related projects

I had designed this one a while back but this was the first time I decided to make a couple.
    A good friend had given me a piece of beech burl and thought to use it on this smaller handled knife as it had some barkpockets I had to fill and would not suit anything larger. Did another one in buffalo horn and one in walnut as well

2.2mm - .09 15N20 steel. 90x20mm blade (3 1/2x3/4)

Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Very nice. The orange handled colored unit looks like the 1 you made for me. You are an amazing craftsman. Your wife is an amazing gal- she let's you work at all your hobbies.

What a Team! I'm speechless now.. well kinda. Wow. Simply awesome,,

Anything else in the works--- down the pike a bit ?

I have 175 24g shot shell cases to shorten and form into Martini Henry 577-450 case. I made up the jig today to shorten them. after cleaning up (inside and outside deburing) they will be annealed and the start of the forming down can begin. The 24 g case is 16mm straight case so the first forming takes it down to 15mm which is just an unused 7x61S&H die drilled out to suit with a beveld edge to replicate the shoulder angle. I made a simple depth stop out of copper tube to stop the forming at the right depth. Then they are put into a 14mm form die (second 7mm die drilled out) annealed again then put into the 13mm die which is just a 7/8 bolt that has been drilled to suit. After that the case can be put into the LEE FLS die and is ready to load after I cast a few hundred 465gn bullets and paper patch them. Will take a few pics and a video or two for the forum.

I picked up the mannlicher 8x57 I built a while back when I was through Central Otago the other day as after a lot of shooting there is the start of a chip at the rear of the tang so I will repair and relieve that area for him.
    Have a few lambs that we are bottle feeding 3 times a day till I wean them and the garden is in the maintainence period with half the seasons planting done. Next winters firewood is needing to be got over the next few months so there is plenty ahead of me.
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

How do you fit the time in to create these awesome knives ?

Some might think it is working under pressure but I seem to get along best under those circumstances. When it just has to get done then I do what is necessary to complete the targets I have set for myself.
    All the cases were shortened this morning, then the inside/outside chamfer and have started the annealing process.
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

The knife I have from you, what's the rust issue upon it -any or none. if some issue - which product do you use. Oil it- ?

I'm used to SS knives mostly here. Thanks VG !

It's about 2pm tomorrow in New Zealand , RIGHT? GET YOUR BRAIN ABOUT THE FUTURE MATES! Ooops , sticky keys ..

VG and his bride are just the best.. I would like to fly down for a 4 day visit some time in the future.
    My bride said no,,, it takes away from our small cruise line thingy to Alaska , - she has family there for salmon & Halibut fishing--- Family always wins- if sane..

Someday...
    Last edited by sneaky one; 10-06-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Dan, your hunting bowie is made from a farriers rasp (myrtle handles), so is carbon steel and if left wet it will have a rust issue. Even in use it will become patinated over time which can enhance the visual imho. I always wipe my blades dry as soon after use as I can and give them a rub with oily rag for preotection.

Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Safe oil recommendations? Thanks for all you do here, BTW.

Most of my bbls, and knives are SS.

I've been showing this knife around---- you may get a bunch more orders next year.

Thanks .Dan
    Last edited by sneaky one; 10-07-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky one View Post
    Safe oil recommendations? Thanks for all you do here, BTW.

Most of my bbls, and knives are SS.
    That is one good looking knife sneaky, congrats

I have a rag in a jar soaked in mobil oil and have carbon steel knives I made from the 70's on that have no rust but have a nice aged patina. I use the same oil rag on my CM barrels as well and not a single spec of rust.
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

The forum knife project (for another forum) has got underway and posted up during the week with all aspects of design and presentation confirmed. It seems that some like to have a knife (and or other gear) that is a connection to their favourite forum hangout.
    https://www.africahunting.com/thread...g-knife.40515/
    Von Gruff

Grendel-Max