X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

A couple of videos of how I take the knife handle from the square to the finished shape using bandsaw, belt grinder and rasp. All the knife details can be found on my website http://www.vongruffknives.com/ The JT Ranger knife in the last pic is the prototype knife and the pic will be uploaded to the website in a week when the knife is finished although all the details are there under the knife design/other knives section.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Great videos, from a fantastic craftsman. You need to pass this skill along to a willing trainee.

The JT Ranger blade design looks same as the Bowie you made for me. ? Looks awesome.

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

Thanks Dan. Both your bowie and the JT Ranger knives are derived from my basic pig sticker design with subtle differences dictated by the needs of both you and JT. The JT Ranger does not have the relief in front of the finger guard that yours has and the handle has dimensional changes with the blade being 5 1/2 inches and will be delivered in a 45 degree butt forward weak side cross draw sheath. Will get some pics up of the finished pieces on sunday.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Last edited by sneaky one; 01-27-2018, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

Had not given any thought to blade coatings Dan but the problem is that I finish the handle scales after they are pinned and epoxied to the tang and it would not be possible to coat and retain the coating on the tang edge because of the sanding of the handle to the tang which would remove the coating from the steel in that area.
            By all means point your friend to my website as I have a couple more on the for sale page with more to come. There are another 8 or so ready for sharpening after which they will be added as well. Can always do a consultation and a onee off it there is something else thay would prefer.

Last edited by Von Gruff; 01-27-2018, 04:31 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

I gat a few ready for shipping on monday with the JT. Ranger in buffalo horn one of the new designs with its optional 45* cross draw sheath

A pair of hunter skinners for another customer

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                Chieftain
                • Apr 2012

This is another new design for the skinner with a raised thumb rest on the spine, called the thumb rest skinner on the website. It was the first that I used the rare and expensive swamp kauri for and I was really pleased to see the character come through as it was sanded through the grades of paper. The pics dont do it the justice that sunlight does.

Last edited by Von Gruff; 01-27-2018, 04:59 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Yes, that handle is indeed beautiful. I can imagine it in the sun.
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I will let you know. Thanks again for your knife making skills. I'm going to post a pic here of my current hunting knife for the last years, with the index finger safety tang I described to you a while back.IMG_1641.JPGIMG_1641.JPG

My hand width grew a bit, the CRKT Kasper doesn't fit me as well anymore. That's the reasoning of a new knife from you- custom fitting to ones hand.

Maybe a version of the CrKT can be made- yet straighten out the entire knife- no curvature from tip to handle end. Blunt the end a bit, to make it a true skinner, hunter blade ?

I will file and as needed to make my CRKT to fit better for me, after watching your videos. It is my daily tag along and carry knife.
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 01-29-2018, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

This is a selection of my knives that might be of interest. The top one is the ight game knife and tha one I carry myself as it will deal with an animal and any other chores that might arrise from a day on the hill 3 3/4 blade that is a good compromise shape.
                      The center one is a cross over hunter skinner that makes for a decent EDC as well as an all round hunter with good skinning ability from its 4 inch blade and the bottom one is a straight up skinner again with a 4 inch blade

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                        Chieftain
                        • Apr 2012

I redesigned the cross draw sheath for the JT Ranger knife today so that it is more stable on the belt

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                          Chieftain
                          • Apr 2012

Tthe original buffalo horn knife needed a companion so a second was was made with a swamp kauri handle. The first sheath will go with them for a working trial to see which one best suits the purpose.

This pair of a safari hunter and a bushcraft hunter are also away this week.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                            Chieftain
                            • Apr 2012

This little spalted beech handled bird knife is rather pretty but dosent have a home to go to yet. Will put it on my website for sale page

And this little AH EDC is also away this week.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Drillboss
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2015

Very nice. I wish I could get one of each.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                                Chieftain
                                • Apr 2012

A few weeks back I committed to doing a road trip to the other end of the country for Lynette to visit with her sons and siblings and then decided that I would combine it with an advertising trip to see if I can get some exposure here in NZ for my knives so have a few address to call in to on the way (so I can write the expenses off as knifemaking advertising costs)
                                As a way to cut expenses I decided that I would convert my trailor to a sleeping pod so we could use tentsites in the camping grounds aong with thier facilities rather than paying for motels etc so our costs will go down from $100-$140 a night to about $20 a night.
                                I I got some 1 1/2 x 3/4 and split it is I ended up with 1 1/2 x 5/16 and laminated 3 together to make a set of hoops as a base for the roof and then split the ends of the purlins so I could bend and alminate them down over the front of the hoops to make for a wind cutting front f the trailer to compiment what was already there.
                                I had built the trailer many years ago as a tool mobile shed to have all my building tools when I was working away from home and with 4 ft sides and a 11ft long floor I will have plenty of room for a doube bed even though it has a tapered front the mattress wil go neary a foot into the forepeak ans leave over 4 ft at the rear for changing clothes etc or the mattress can be stood up and secured against the side so we have the full floor space.
                                I have got all the roof boned out so all I have to do now is lay the felt covering and the tarpaulin over it and screw the hinged back window/shutter into place.

I got the handles on the last of the knvies I want to take with me as samples, except for two I want to do to finish my kitchen set. In this batch is a JT Ranger with swamp kauri, a large horse shoe rasp bowie with brass and bluegum, a skinner with buff horn and swam kauri (for me as I think I should have something with the swamp kauri on it before it all gets used for ordered knives) , an AH big game knife with buff horn and blackwood, a general hunter with jarrah and blackwood, a hunter skinner with jarrah and rimu, and the first two (of 4) in a kitchen set with the paring knife and a salami slicer both with anged jarrah bolsters and blackwood handles. The large kitchen slicer and a kitchen cleaver are yet to be done.

I did a short video today on how I do my knife handles when I have bolsters which I do first

Last edited by Von Gruff; 03-04-2018, 04:48 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Working...
                                X