sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Von Gruff
      Chieftain
      • Apr 2012

These three are away in the post in the morning and while the pics are terrible due to the low winter sun the wood is actually quite nice on them. I will have to look at a decent light box set-up for taking these pics indoors as the pics taken outside really detract from the presentation.

The first hunter skinner has cocobolo with ebony bolsters

A full flat grind on 4 in x 1/8 1084 blade at 61 R tested (100x3.2mm)

This is my safari knife with cocobolo and ebony on a 3 3/4 in x .157 01 blade at 61R (90x4mm)

The guy wanted both the horizontal carry and a stadard vertical carry sheath which I did before I designed the multiple carry sheath shown for my safari knife

This one if for another chap and is the hunter skninner with curly maple and jarah (blade specs as for the hunter skinner above.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• 6.8 klr
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2014

Man, I am really liking that multi. carry sheath there V.G....Keep-up the fine work.....

Oh, and by the way my Hunter-Skinner is doing a fine job on our Domesticated New Zealand Meat Rabbits here at home.

..........Mike.

Comment

• Von Gruff
          Chieftain
          • Apr 2012

I really enjoy the rabbit meat Mike, as a sandwich filler or as part of a salid and of course in rabbit pie. I always do a couple of hours on the rabbit faces before I head up higher to for the goats when I go up for a hunt.

How do you get your rabbits and what ways do you use them for the table??

This is my rabbit knife. 2 1/2 in blade, 6 3/4 in oal with buff horn scales. Carried in a hardened pocket sheath is a handly little knife that is also used for fruit preperation when we are bottling our surpluse fruit in the summer and / or making jams and chutneys etc.
          Last edited by Von Gruff; 07-23-2017, 06:30 PM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• 6.8 klr
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2014

Love the Buff. Scales...Alot.

I hunt them here on the Hill with a shotgun on foot , no dogs or anything.

WE love Hasenpfeffer....and also Braised, then baked in a Dutch oven with Potato Dumplings and brown gravy is also a favorite.

I also be-bone and grind for all sorts of uses.

.......Mike.
            Last edited by 6.8 klr; 07-24-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Yumm rabbit,,,,, ick

They are listed as rodents....

Comment

• Von Gruff
                Chieftain
                • Apr 2012

Rabbits are not rodent Dan, they are small mammals and are excellent eating for those of us with pallet that enjoys the taste.

Why Rabbits Aren't Rodents

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

Sneaky, you northern boys just don't know how to cook rabbit.

It really is some of the best meat you can get. We have em down here, the back hams are as big as your hand. Have to cook the big ones a while til tender.
                  Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                    Sneaky, you northern boys just don't know how to cook rabbit.

It really is some of the best meat you can get. We have em down here, the back hams are as big as your hand. Have to cook the big ones a while til tender.
                    Link some recipes 'dawg. I'm willing to give it a try.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

I havent eaten chicken in years, much rather have rabbit as my white meat. At least I know there are no hormones in the wild game I kill and eat unlike the chicken that is chock full of them to get instant growth and quick returns.
                      The hare is another great eating animal with the backstraps nearly as big as a small deer. Boned and diced they make for a superb caserol

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• rabiddawg
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
                        Link some recipes 'dawg. I'm willing to give it a try.
                        I'm pretty simple.

I usually quarter it up, season it, brown it in a cast iron pot. Take it out, cook down some onions ......

At this point you can go north La. or south La. My mom makes brown gravy from flower and the pan stickings. It's what Cajuns call a roux. You can cheat (and I often do) by purchasing roux in a jar. After you have your gravy, throw the rabbit in and simmer til it's falling off the bone. Turn it off and make a pot of rice.

For a south La. version you just continue cooking the onions until they get really dark in color. Not burnt. You add a bit of water as you stir to keep them from burning. The onions are what makes the gravy (or sauce as my friend Tim Fontenot would say) in this case.

If you have smaller tender rabbits just quarter them up, make a milk&egg wash, flour it then fry in a skillet. Our big swamp rabbits are usually too tough for this.

Mark Twain

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

We have cotton tails and the much larger Jack rabbits. I prefer the cotton tail. I will have try our Jacks in casseroles. As a boy we cooked Cotton tails over an open fire on a stick. My wife cooks them in a crock pot. They are delicious. I just returned from our job near Hyattsville Wyoming which is full of wild cotton tails and Jacks. The hard part was trying not to run over them going to the job since they love to run in front of vehicles at the last moment. I had never seen so many rabbits as I did near Hyattsville and Ten Sleep. In winter time it is easy to see the rabbit tracks to snare them. It is also fun to hunt them with a 22. We use roux to make sausage and biscuits. I have tried some Cajun food and it was delicious. We have friends who raise chickens and supply us with fresh eggs and meat. Eggs that come from chickens that are allowed to roam and eat insects and grass are incredible flavorful with dark orange yolks.
                          I like the look of your Safari knife. Well done!

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

To be honest, I'm not a Cajun but I do like living here, eating their food and the women are beautiful.

Mark Twain

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by montana View Post
                              We have cotton tails and the much larger Jack rabbits. I prefer the cotton tail. I will have try our Jacks in casseroles.
                              Next time you get one of the jacks's which I gather is our hare, then seperate the backstrap when you bone them out and treat it like a deer backstrap by slicing diagonaly and cook like you would a piece of tenderloin. You will be surprised just how good it can be, with onions, potatoes and something like brocoli or similar brasica vegetables or what you might generally have with a tender steak

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• montana
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2011

Will do. We have always cooked them like Cotton tail and to say they were tough was an understatement. Always happy to hear new methods of preparing wild game. Thank you.
                                Last edited by montana; 07-31-2017, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X