X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

Was able to get back to the shed today and make a start on the knives that are shown above.

Once they are profiles the blade edge is done with a fine belt so the scribe can easily be seen when the two lines are scribed in to mark where the rough evel grind will finish. The scribe body was a piece of old truck axel that was put into service after a little reshaping. The pin is a concrete nail that has been ground to shape.

Then the bevels can be ground in.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

I'm a little confused on how you use the scribe you fabricated from a truck axle.

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

The flat side is laid on the blade so that the scribe marks a line along the edge of the blade then it is done from the other side so I end up with two lines along the edge of the blabe about .03 apart. When the bevels are ground in with the coarse belt I can make sure that they meet in the center of the blade. Then using the finer belts the deep scratches are taken out of the bevels which grinds the bevels a little finer the edge is about .02 so that after heat treating and the hand sanding it is ready for the final edge sharpening.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

OK, thanks

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Von Gruff, great work sir. As a fellow knife maker I can admire your skills as well. I haven't been on the forum in a couple of months so I read the entire 35 pages tonight. I was impressed with your homemade grinder, I've seen others make similar ones but never with a laminated drive wheel. Did you turn it on a lathe after cutting on a band saw. Also great ingenuity using the leather to "crown" the wheel. You have a gift being able to see a problem and quickly engineer and solution. Most people people don't realize there's a problem until they've lost the second or maybe third finger. Your stock making skills are simply wonderful. Keep posting, very informative.

I know you finish with a hand rubbed finish to 600 grit, I do as well. I do stock removal, but have my blades commercially heat treated and cryogenically treated as well when I was making knives. I used ATS-34. The reason I was asking about hand finishing to 600 grit was sometimes even though I would grind to 600 grit sometimes I would have deep scratches left by the larger grits that I didn't get out, I would use a 1/8" brass rod for a mandrel with a slit cut in it and wrap 120 or 220 grit wet/dry around it and smooth those areas out with a flex cable grinder. It saves a lot of time trying to work them out by hand. You may already be doing it, or might not have a problem of leaving the deeper scratches. Just a tip.

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

Yes I took the drive wheel to the engineer to have it turned and center drilled for the shaft. I made another one at 4 inches for shaping the end curve on the underside of the handle and had a steel one made at an 1 1/4 for the finger groove end. I have them on opposite sides of a tool head so I only have to turn the tool head over to go from one size to the other.
              I have 1084, O1 and 15N20 as I can HT these at home.
              I do my bevel with simple AO 60 grit belts to a 30 thou edge then go to a 120grit belt till it is just over 20 thou then a 240grit belt till it is at just under 20 thou which leaves almost no scratching. When I heat treat I quench them for 8 seconds which I have seen on the bladeforum is the amount of time it takes in 130* oil to bring it down to a non critical temp. I wil give it a good rub with a coarse cloth then put it in the carpenters vise mounted vertically with 4x1/4 in alloy plates to ensure there is no warping after the quench. After the temering and I start the handsanding at 220 then 360 then 600 and it seems to clean up quite easily. That is a good tip to file away about the 1/8 rod though.
              I dont know what is up with photobucket as I cant get pics from there to the forum. It wont allow the curser to copy the img data so am at a loss as to how to contiue with the progress reports. I had got the bevels ground yesterday and got the pics above to load but can not get any more .
              Have spent the day making the sheaths for the pig stickers.
              I am starting to get the bits together to build a gas forge so that will be an interesting project and allow me to do the heat treating somewhere other than the kitchen fire and will make my wife a happy camper although it wont get built till after this lot is done.
              Last edited by Von Gruff; 03-08-2017, 04:23 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

There is a lot of great information in this thread, from fitting furniture to shooters in the high European method of craftsmanship, to the math behind magazine design, to hand fitting and custom work that you rarely see anymore, with a detailed expanse of why certain things are important, and covering multiple disciplines.

I am very impressed, kind sir.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

I had the computer guy in to sort my photobucket problems so I am back to being able to post picture again.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                    Chieftain
                    • Apr 2012

I did a short video on how I sharpen knives. This is taking them from the .015 edge thickness that they have come through the handsanding at after heat treating. A little extra thickness left because of the hard duty these pig stickers will be asked to do.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Your belt grinder runs like a top. I'm still very impressed how well it came out. Your set up with everything at reach is quick and efficient. Your 20 and 14 degree blocks were a clever idea. I have a paper wheel bench grinder I sharpen my knives on and it took me awhile and a little practice to get the left side of my knives equal to the right side since I'm a right handed. I can always tell when a person sharpens a lot of knives because the hair on the back of their left hand and arm is hair less LOL. Great video, it is very enjoyable to watch. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
                      Last edited by montana; 03-09-2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                        Chieftain
                        • Apr 2012

I think the same is true for most people except those who are truly ambidexterous. I have to concentrate when I do the left side of the knife but it is getting easier the more I do.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• customcutter
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

Yes, I would rough grind my blades usually hollow ground with an 8" wheel with 50 grit then off to heat treat. When I got them back I would grind the flats with 9" flat disc to 220 grit, until I got my 6X18 surface grinder. Then I would re-grind the hollow grind starting at 120, then 220, then 320. I would occasionally go to 600 grit if polishing, but I like a hand rubbed finish better. A friend turned an 8" plastic wheel, then cut sections of the outer edge about 3" long. Perfect for adding a strip of thin leather to and using to sand the 8" hollow grind. I would occasionally have trouble getting the deeper scratches out near the choil, that's when I learned the trick using the 1/8" arbor and wrapping with 220 grit.

BTW if you try removing material wiith a surface grinder take a little off one side then flip it and take some off the other, other wise it will warp on you. Don't ask me how I know. LOL

Comment

• Von Gruff
                            Chieftain
                            • Apr 2012

I have seen that reported on the bladeforum but I dont do any machine work after the heat treating so hope to be immune from that problem

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

On the British Militaria forum a friend was trying to work on his Martini and had a very heavy trigger pull so I showed him a trick to lighten the pull without changing the originality of the rifle. I have done mine and have a lovely 2 lb trigger so I did a short video to show them how to check the trigger weight without the fancy shop bought scales.

For those with a martini who want to lighten the trigger this is a simple fix

I got round to stripping the action down and getting a couple of pics today.
                              The trigger group out of the rifle

Remove the trigger spring and make a shim washer but cut the bottom 2/3's off it so that it looks a bit like this.

place the part shim washer to the rear of the spring location. This will lower the tension which acts against the seer and the good thing is that nothing is altered in the way of originality. Some have advocated grinding the sides of the spring to weaken it but this is much better in my opinion. The spring is kept as it always was and depending on the amount of shim thickness you use, you can taylor the release to suit your hunting or target needs.

Replace the spring and reasemble the rifle to check for the trigger release weight and adjust the shim thickness as required. It dosent take a great deal of shim thickness to alter the release weight significanty.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• montana
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2011

I received a knife from Von Gruff today. It fits my hand like a glove and the work was absolutely beautiful. The knife sheath is a very heavy leather and was exactly what I was looking for. I never knew we had such a talent on the Grendel Forum all these years. He is too modest. Thanks again Von Gruff for making me a handmade knife from NZ. I love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X