X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaps
    Unwashed
    • May 2017

Thanks for this thread! I'm a (rank) amateur knife (shaped object) maker (sometimes) ... your work looks great, very useful designs, and execution.
    S/F, Chaps

Comment

• Von Gruff
      Chieftain
      • Apr 2012

Seeing as I have a few projects on in the shed and with winter drawing on I decided to do something about the lack of warmth that has made previous winter days a bit of a chalenge.

This is a diesel burner and while it is not recomended for inside use I thought that with a bit of adaptation it could be made safe for use in the enclosed space. The tank at the bottom is filled with diesel and to start it, the filler cap is removed and a 1/4 cup of meths is poured in, then a twist of paper is lit and droped in on to the fuel. It takes a few minutes for the diesel to light and then the filler cap is replaced. The cap has a 3 holes in it and the movable flap is turned so that the holes are uncovered to allow air flow for the fuel to burn. It can be turned down by closing the flap to cover one or two of the holes and to shut it down the chimney is covered and the 3 air holes are covered.

I made a hood and installed a flue to draw any fumes outside and because there is a tendency for flames to flare a couple of feet above the chimney on occasions, I made a flame stop to redirect the heat down while allowing the fumes to still rise up through the hood. I needed to have the flue on an angle to miss the ridge boards but the burner needed to be in the center of the available space to keep it as far as possible from any combustable items in the shed.
      http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
      Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

I have never seen a diesel burner like that one. Does it have a brand name ?

Comment

• Von Gruff
          Chieftain
          • Apr 2012

They are called frost pots and are really meant for outside but I figured that with the fume hood it will work well in the shed. They were also used in the orchards (years ago) to keep the frost at bay for the fruit trees but now they are mostly used as patio heaters. This was the one I got from trademe (our ebay)

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

This is away in todays post

This was a first for doing a flared handle

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Beautiful, I love the look of your file knives. Nice touch on the sheath, I like it. The flared handle looks great. Your going to need to print a catalog with so many different models.
                I just received my companion boning knife. It was exactly what I was looking for and a perfect companion for my light hunter. I have always used a filleting knife but it was a little too thin for the job.
                Thanks again Von Gruff for my two beautiful companion knives, I couldn't be happier with them

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

Pleased to hear it has arrived. I was starting to wonder as it has taken a few more days than has been the usual for shipping to the US.
                  Nothing so sophisticated as a catalogue for me Tom but I do have all my patterns saved onto hardwood so can be reproduced if and when the need arrises. The hunting bowie pattern was the result of conversations and a couple of drawings and is a long way from the traditional bowie design as it was a much larger knife designed for a different purpose than dressing a game animal.

This is some interesting facts about the bowie knife that was posted on one of the knife forums so I took screen shots of the posts to keep because of the proportions mentioned.

Last edited by Von Gruff; 05-17-2017, 08:21 PM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                    Chieftain
                    • Apr 2012

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

Have these blades all ready for heat treating now with their individual handle scales all marked for each knife with the name of the recipient scribed onto the tang so that will do for this week. There are different handle requests with some having bolsters (jarah or ebony) but all having scales from a rimu board I had set asside for them . There are a couple of foriegners in there with one having jarah scales and the hidden tang with brass jarah and beech. There were some that wernt part of the group buy that are set asside for now but they will be attended to after these are completed.

Last edited by Von Gruff; 05-19-2017, 05:06 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Retired engineers are so fun,,, Von contact me tomorrow. I want a same- kinda version of your post #411. It will save us both a ton of pm's.

Awesome craftsmanship BTW Wow.

Hows the wife been with your -semi retirement?
                        Last edited by sneaky one; 05-20-2017, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                          Chieftain
                          • Apr 2012

Email sent Dan. I am not a retired engineer as I was in wood working from cabinete making to house building (more often with both together)

I may have to look at a group buy for the forum at some stage if there are enough interested to warrant it.

Retirement is fine for both of us. I get to play in the shed and Lyne has her own handcrafts to keep the mind active.
                          Last edited by Von Gruff; 05-20-2017, 04:04 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Chazroh
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2015

I'd buy a knife, great craftsmanship

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

We seem to have lost a lot of posts.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• sneaky one
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Start anew. Things happen in the computerized world we reside in. It's best we dint lose anymore than a week.... Smile kids

Comment

Working...
                                X