X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

Because I started out just making them for myself I never added any prices as they were not for sale but as the hobby slowly became something more I was relying on being PM'd for information on a specific knife or to change a design to suit what may be wanted. I prefer to have al discussion after the initial contact to be via my email vongruff@gmail.com so I have all the discussions in the one place. I didn't want to come accross as using the forum as a sales pitch or business site so have never added prices for that reason. Sufice it to say that I have sent most of the last 50+ knives to the US so work in US$ with prices ranging from$160 to about $225 depending on knife style and handle material. Shipping to the US has generally run to about $30 for one to two knives so that should give you some idea as to whether they are value for your money or not. I am ooking at getting a website sorted but that may take some time.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Love mine! It's a hand made knife, made by a guy in New Zealand.

I don't care who you are, that's pretty cool.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

I have used custom Ruana knives all of my life. I can say with out any reservation, Von Gruffs knives are not only beautiful, top of the line knives, but a great value. They hold an edge and work perfectly. Top end sheath, quality steel, beautiful handle, and at a great price. They are also custom made from a very unique, talented, great guy from New Zealand. What's there not to like ???

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
          Because I started out just making them for myself I never added any prices as they were not for sale but as the hobby slowly became something more I was relying on being PM'd for information on a specific knife or to change a design to suit what may be wanted. I prefer to have al discussion after the initial contact to be via my email vongruff@gmail.com so I have all the discussions in the one place. I didn't want to come accross as using the forum as a sales pitch or business site so have never added prices for that reason. Sufice it to say that I have sent most of the last 50+ knives to the US so work in US$ with prices ranging from$160 to about $225 depending on knife style and handle material. Shipping to the US has generally run to about $30 for one to two knives so that should give you some idea as to whether they are value for your money or not. I am ooking at getting a website sorted but that may take some time.
          Thanks for the info. How much lead time would you need if someone wanted three identical knives for Christmas gifts next year?
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

Thanks for the knid words guys.

As far as lead times goes, I try to get all orders away within 4 weeks of them being ordered with many being able to get away sooner than that as I often will grind and heat treat extra blades and leave them in the drawer waiting on orders for particular handle treatment and sheath orientation but that is at this stage were the order book has allowed for that time frame and being retired I have been able to spend as much time in the shed as necessary to keep to that ideal.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

Have got most of these ready for sheaths and sharpening now (except for the couple of HT lion knife blades of course)

At top is two unfinished lion knives and on the right the prototype finished.

Then under the lion knife is a general purpose knife in brass and buff horn, a rimu boner in trade for some beautiful handle wood pieces, a zebrawood and brass AH BG knife, a pair with a safaru hunter with walnut and brass and its companion field scalpel in walnut, a hunter skinner in hickory and buff horn, a light hunter with olive canvas micarta bolster and brown linen micarta, and at the bottom is another pair with a special order safari hunter in brass and buff horn with its companion field scalpel.

On the left under the unfinished lion knife is the giveaway AH BG knife another 2 under it, then 3 BG hunter butchers, a boner all with buff horn and blackwood and at the bottom is a hunter skinner in very dark Jarah.

There are still another couple in the drawer to get ahead a bit but those ordered in this lot will all be ready to ship with sheaths by Jan 10 when I will start to trust the post again. Some of these I will be posting in the classified section at some stage as they were done to please me with the different handle combinations like the zebrawood, the hickory and the micarta samples.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Von Gruff
                Chieftain
                • Apr 2012

I was sharpening all these knives ready for shipping next week and got a bit careless but I do know that they are sharp and ready to cut skin and meat although they will stop at the bone.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Garry, how many stitches, or why do I ask, as you probably invented a device to self repair- Am I right? Sorry for the wound- dude,,,, you knew it was to happen , as time lapsed by..

Get well soon card - here. Give your wife a hug for taking care of you, from all of us here in the Horde. Take a few days off. Chill.

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

I was wondering if it was me or the knife. I've gotten more cuts (none too serious) with your knife than any other I've owned.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

This was careless of me as I had all the above blades to sharpen and I reached over the end of the blade to get something while also looking the other way to check on the lubricant supply for the stones. I guess I was becoming a bit casual in my approach to having sharp blades in easy reach.
                      They dont do stitches now. Initially I wrapped it in a bit of cloth and wrapped it with electrical tape but did it a bit tight and after about 20 minute it started to go numb so I released the tape and just as it started to bleed I could see how deep it really was and headed to the medical clynic. After cleaning round the cut (lots of grime from the sharpeing process with oil, kero with stone dust and steel ) they used narrow strips accross the open cut and pulled it together again then did the big mummy wrap on it. Good to go with what I need to do just try not to bang it against anything for a few days.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Why is it always the index finger or the thumb?!?
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                          Chieftain
                          • Apr 2012

In my case I think it is because they are always closest to the sharp bits.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

Ouch! At least it’s a smooth cut. Mine are usually more of a rip. One of my worst finger cuts came from the top of a cyclone fence.
                            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

It does make a big difference to the healing time and demonstrates that a sharp knife is a good thing in that regard - sort of - maybe

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• 6.8 klr
                                Bloodstained
                                • Oct 2014

Sorry about that Brother.....We must slow down and be a bit more careful in our retirement mode........LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X