• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PrecisionFirearms
    Warrior
    • Apr 2011

Short barrels with Grendel

Hello Horde:

Just thought I would let you guys know about a test we did recently on Short Barrels. We tested:

7.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups averaged 1.5 Inches 2000 FPS 123 Match King
    8.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups Averaged 1.4 Inches 2100 FPS 123 Match King
    10.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups averaged .9 Inches 2200 FPS 123 Match King
    12.5 Lilja Blank Chambered by PF at 100 Yards. Groups .75 2300 FPS 123 Match King
    14.5 Lilja Blank Chambered by PF at 100 Yards. Groups .5 2350 FPS 123 Match King
    14.5 Krieger at 100 Yards. Groups averaged .38 2375 FPS 123 MatchKing

We have most of these available for shipment with 2 weeks. They are chambered - Just need Muzzle Threaded.

We also have 7.5, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5, 12.5 in Criterion although we have not tested accuracy extensively. 12.5 we tested shot under 1 moa.
    Last edited by PrecisionFirearms; 01-13-2017, 08:16 PM.
    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Thanks for that info Mark.

That 7.5" barrel speed is surprising. With a 129gr ABLR, it's still more than a viable killer out to distances people would never attempt. Still has a Point Blank Zero of 225yds with a 200yd zero.

Would make a good candidate for a suppressor that can take the muzzle pressure.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
      Warrior
      • Apr 2011

Yes we were surprised too at the Chronograph Readings! Sorry that was 2000 FPS Not 2100. Technically it was 2040 Average.

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

Thanks for sharing this Mark.

This helps us understand that there is more going on there than just building guns.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Great info, Mark.

When I first got into this caliber, I read on the AA website that a 10.5 inch Grendel exceeded AK-47 ballistics. It's true. By 100 yards the energy between the two is practically identical. At 300 yards the Grendel is traveling 300fps faster, makes 350ft/lbs more energy and drops 4" less. The longer the distance the more the Grendel stretches it's lead.

A Grendel SBR is on my dream list.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
            Warrior
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
            Thanks for sharing this Mark.

This helps us understand that there is more going on there than just building guns.
            LOL, There is. We have several new products coming very soon!

Comment

• ahillock
              Warrior
              • Jan 2016

I think 6.5 Grendel SBR/pistols will be the future for those serious about SBR/pistol other than punching holes in paper.

Comment

• wraith1516
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Definitely if they get rid of the stupid ass nfa taxes which directly goes against the Second Amendment does it or does it not say shall not infringe

Comment

• daggertt
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2016

Is there any way to figure out muzzle pressures for grendel in such short barrels? TBAC seems to indicate that 5.56 and 6.5 grendel are similar in that their minimum barrel lengths for both are the same, but other suppressor manufacturers are much less specific about Grendel's minimums. If there were some muzzle psi/cup numbers floating around, it would be easy to compare to another, more common caliber, such as 5.56, and make at least some educated guesses on what those suppressors could likely handle.

Specifically, I talked to SiCo at a local shoot, and the engineer I spoke with told me that 16" was the minimum barrel length for 6.5 grendel for their cans simply because they had never tested them shorter because they had never heard of anyone shooting Grendels shorter than 16". He also told me the Omega was actually fine down to 7" for subs and supers in 300blk, despite the published "8 inch minimum"... which was only because they hadn't tested it shorter than 8" at the time of publishing. He also said they had no plans to do any testing for shorter Grendel barrel lengths, but if I blew up an Omega on a shorter barrel, I should let them know when I send it in, so they have a better idea on the actual limitations of the can -_- lol. There are guys over on ARFCOM who shoot the Omega on 11-12" Grendels without issue.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

The engineering staff at ThunderBeast is world class, not some dudes just making cans with baffles in them.

Their first 30P was a 9" can and was very light at the time in 2007.

Their current Ultra 7 exceeds the 9" 30P in every way, being lighter, with way more dB reduction.

It isn't an accident that they achieved that.

I've spoken with Zak about Grendel barrel length, and 11.5" is the minimum length they rated the Ultra series for. 5.56 starts with much higher chamber pressure than 6.5 Grendel, so this is why we enjoy the same basic gas port locations and diameters, even though 6.5 Grendel has way more case capacity.

An 11.5" Grendel with the Ultra 5 is about the best set-up you can currently get looking at compactness and performance.

Not only do the Grendel SBRs exceed AK47 performance, they exceed 30-30 150gr Soft Point 20" barrel performance.

A 10.5" Grendel has more energy at 400yds than a 20" 30-30 pushing 150gr does at 200yds. Think about that for a while...then think about all the game .30-30 has taken.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X