• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickOshay
    Warrior
    • Apr 2012

LFP Comment Thread

This thread is intended to be for comments and suggestions for the reference thread on Lead Free Projectiles (LFPs):http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...he-G.5-Grendel
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Great work! This is gonna be a treasure of data.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Thanks for sharing this Rick. Very professionally done.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• rickOshay
        Warrior
        • Apr 2012

Links updated. Working on setting up links to high speed videos

Comment

• Maddvaper
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

Barnes also makes a tsx / ttsx all copper bullet I'm looking at shooting next season

Comment

• rickOshay
            Warrior
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Maddvaper View Post
            Barnes also makes a tsx / ttsx all copper bullet I'm looking at shooting next season
            Are you referring to the 120 gr TSX ? I've not pursued that one because I favored the tipped version.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Awesome job ROS ! Yes, these bullets need to have a lighter wt. version of each-- for the Grrrr. I have tried about half of the samples, at stock wt., and lighter wt's.

The impact speeds really help make the peel back shine, inside of 300 yds., that max range was my goal. It took a few years until some better powders became available to get the speeds I wanted.
              80 grns.= 2975 fps, in a 16" tube.

Thinking of taking the plunge on my new Faxon 16" tube,,, by doing the Grr max- Lite version- for AR's instead of bolties..== 75 % of the bolt gun gains. That Von Gruff got.

I Just need to call Manson reamers.

My goal is 90 GMX @ 3000 in the 16" Faxon . This would make any 123 pills cup& core look marginal in a 20" tube., by a comparison.

The 130 TSX, cut down to 90 grns, is my second choice behind the lighter GMX's. 4 grooves, allow for a small amount of speed increases. Not a gilding metal, not as tuff as a GMX. Still very effective tho.

If in doubt of LFP's- check my Nov. hunting thread posting-- I got lucky last Saturday. That deer was HUGE. A 77 Gmx took him down, 26" of penetration.

Fist sized hole through the spinal coloumn. I hate the fact that I , & all of us probably had lead in our venison for years.
              Last edited by sneaky one; 01-20-2017, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• s3silver
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

I'm in nor-cal and am facing the same regulations soon. I'm 2 seasons in using the Barnes TTSX 100 gr. Started experimenting with these in 2015 and have pretty much stuck with them for deer hunting after seeing the terminal performance. So far 4 bucks and 1 bear between the wife and me. All shot within 60-120 yards. 2 bucks DRT, other 2 and bear did not make it more than 20 yards. All hit behind the shoulder. No tracking needed so far.

Entry/ exit hole not impressive until you start to skin. That's where the apparent entry and exit holes are impressive. Insides are pretty much jello.

Shooting these out of 2 AR's. The mrs' shoots a 16" ar stoner in 6.5 Grendel and mine's a 22" shilen in 6.5 LBC. Both 1:8 twists. Same load for both rifles. 16" is sending them ~ 2650 fps. 22" ~ 2800 fps. Benchmark powder on the hot side, cci450, hornady brass, 2.200" col, slightly compressed. Don't know about other LFP's, but the ttsx likes speed. That faster I pushed them the tighter they shot. Both rifles will consistently hold moa or less out to 400 yards.

Hope this info is useful for those who want to try out LFP's.

Comment

• Boostmeister
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2014

Considering Obama's last executive action going after gun owners and fishermen, this is excellent work rickOshay. Thanks for taking the lead.

Comment

• rickOshay
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Boostmeister View Post
                    Considering Obama's last executive action going after gun owners and fishermen, this is excellent work rickOshay. Thanks for taking the lead.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...-lead-ammo-ban
                    Hopefully Trump will overturn it. But who knows? He is a dealmaker, and may see this as a way to appease the environmentalists.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

ROS
                      Fabulous work. I know it takes a lot of time and effort. Thank you for doing this.
                      - PA

Comment

• rickOshay
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2012

Raptors have landed

The 100 gr Cutting Edge Raptors have arrived, and they are long. See post in the summary sticky for details.

For BluntForceTrama, they are significantly longer than the Cereberus, and the cavity is over twice as deep.

Comment

• rickOshay
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by PA_Allen View Post
                          ROS
                          Fabulous work. I know it takes a lot of time and effort. Thank you for doing this.
                          - PA
                          Thanks PA.

Comment

• rickOshay
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2012

Group photos and summary table updated to include the 100 gr Raptor.

For the Grendel Horde’s convenience, I have compiled my results for a sampling of .264 caliber lead-free projectiles (LFPs). Also included are results from testing an experimental LFP, the 90g Cereberus, developed by our very own BluntForceTrama et. al. The main goal of this work was to give the Grendel reloader a single

Comment

• rickOshay
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2012

Added videos of the following projectiles hitting ballistic gel. Hope to get more once it stops raining here.

95 Controlled Chaos
                              140 Naturalis

at the 95 VMAX at 2800 fps for reference at the bottom of the list.

Comment

Working...
                              X