X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

May not necessarily be softer, it could be because of the length and design of the petal grooves. Think I remember seeing that maybe in an other forum's discussion... they could be deeper than the "average bear" and look to be longer, plus skewed at an angle, instead of being parallel to the bullet's axis. What I don't recall is if they are designed to split off or to peel back... some guys did seem to be getting some decent results with them, the ones that reported, that is.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• rickOshay
      Warrior
      • Apr 2012

My understanding is that the metal composition determines the performance window which is limited to about 1000 fps. This is the range between the metal being soft enough to bend, and yet strong enough to hold together.

LFPs designed to be soft enough to open up at 1600 fps will come apart (petals break off) if you get much higher than 2600 fps. So it's a sliding scale for the velocity/range you want.

The metal composition is different between the 118 MKZ and the 105 MKZ. The 105 is harder so that is holds together a higher speeds.

The TSX was designed to hold together a 3000fps - mainly for the .308 case family of .264s

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

I chased down an old thread on CBB performance and the pix and descriptions there showed them as the petals peeling back (as opposed to breaking off), for that caliber at tested velocities. So that answers that question. There was also mention of being made of "soft/er copper" (no values or compositions given), which is consistent with 52's and your statements... I'm not a metallurgy expert so will rely on you-all's observations for that.
        Thanks!
        Lead's days, unfortunately, may be numbered since the last USA smelter was forced to close a couple of years ago IIRC... so we definitely need some innovations and ways to keep accurate, inexpensive reloading components coming. That's what America is good at -- innovation.

edit: Not to be misunderstood - I like the regular cup/core lead/copper Hornady, Sierra, Nosler bullets we have right now, just fine!!! just sayin'.
        Last edited by grayfox; 09-03-2017, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• thedudeabides
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

Does anyone have any numbers or load data for the Maker Trex bullets? I'd love to see what's realistic from the 110gr. from 16 and 18". I can't seem to find it anywhere and the website seems a bit incomplete.
          18" .264 LBC BHW fluted barrel

Comment

• rickOshay
            Warrior
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by thedudeabides View Post
            Does anyone have any numbers or load data for the Maker Trex bullets? I'd love to see what's realistic from the 110gr. from 16 and 18". I can't seem to find it anywhere and the website seems a bit incomplete.
            The good news and bad news with the 110gr TREX is that its the first 110 gr offering in LFPs. In fact, the whole range of weights from 100 to 120 has been largely ignored in the 6.5 caliber.

I'm very happy to see the 105, 107, 110 and 118 gr LFPs being made recently to fill this gap.

I have predicted a 2600 fps max from a 20" barrel for this projectile based on other data. I have recently confirmed this using CFE223 and achieved 2560fps with no excessive pressure signs on brass. I believe that higher velocities could be achieved with H335, TAC, or AA2520.

If you subtract 25fps per inch loss of barrel length, you should be in the 2500 to 2550 range.

Given this LFP opens up down to 1800 fps or less, that means you have a range out to about 350-400 yds depending on what the BC is for these LFPS.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• thedudeabides
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2016

That does help, but still wondering also about the BC on those suckers? Trying to decide between these and the 105 mkz. Cbb saying 2750 from an 18" puts it out towards 450, even with a 2000fps min opening. Looking forward to more data on all the lfps and many thanks for all your efforts Rick!!!

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Dude, I think it would be wise to cross-validate any CBB-stated values with others on here that really understand the Grendel, like lrrp52, vascar2, bft etc. Every vendor has a slight, shall I say, leaning towards his or her own products that ought to be balanced with other, objective inputs. If they all agree then great!
                Anyway, how much do you need to have at 450 and what are you shooting out there?

Comment

• thedudeabides
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2016

Absolutely grayfox, couldn't agree more! Can't wait to see more posted results and writeups from the pros regarding the lfps. Looking for best lfp for elk specifically, and of course deer or anything else. I would like to think 400 to be max reasonable for elk, but you know how hunting goes and one should know real performance.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

I am hopefully elk-bound also, these long-range shooters on here know their stuff. I'll let them advise.
                    Good hunting.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I sent 105 GMX's to Richard small a few years back-- They were loaded to the original data sheet from AA for 110 Barnes solids..I just sent him a text--- I think 2580-2660 was the zone.

It was a safe soft load.

He just texted----- he's prepping for Hurricane Irma!

Someone - JASmith, got your ears on dude? Can you run a program on this 110.? Thanks.!

RS said he;d be on here asap.
                      Last edited by sneaky one; 09-06-2017, 01:52 AM.

Comment

• Makerbullets
                        Unwashed
                        • Mar 2017

BC's for TREX 110gr

Originally posted by thedudeabides View Post
                        That does help, but still wondering also about the BC on those suckers? Trying to decide between these and the 105 mkz. Cbb saying 2750 from an 18" puts it out towards 450, even with a 2000fps min opening. Looking forward to more data on all the lfps and many thanks for all your efforts Rick!!!
                        The BC for the 110gr TREX is .45
                        the 85gr TREX is .37 and the 95gr REX is .31
                        Robert at CBB has the 105 BC.

Paul

Comment

• rickOshay
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2012

Paul - Thank you very much for all your support.

The Summary thread has been updated with these data.
                          Lead Free Projectiles for the Grendel
                          Last edited by rickOshay; 09-11-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• DJL2
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2017

The 85 has a higher BC than the 95? Is that because the 85 is intended to be used with a "ballistic tip" and the 95 is not?

Comment

• rickOshay
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2012

Got the 120 gr Peregrine Plains Master in. The design is interesting with the plunger and the long nose and low bearing surface.

Hopefully get some gel and load data soon.

Comment

• rickOshay
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2012

The 110gr Lehigh Controlled Chaos has been added.

Man! When I started this back in January this year, I didn't know what I would be getting into. The number of 0.264 LFPs has expanded dramatically this year. Good year for the Grendel!

I had to break up the group photo because the number had become too big.
                                Last edited by rickOshay; 11-18-2017, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X