556 build..barrel choices ..too many of them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 79inpa
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2015

556 build..barrel choices ..too many of them.

planning a 556 build for basic blasting and shooting of vermin. I'm thinking that I will go with a 16-18 inch barrel and have almost made up my mind to go with the 18 inch barrel.

I have heard great things about the black hole weaponry barrels and they are going on sale at 20 percent off over the next week. They have a slim profile that weighs 2.15 pounds or 34.5 ounces that interests me. On the other hand faxon firearms has a heavy barrel profile that weighs the same and has flutes cut in it for around the same price of 250 dollars.

does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I never tried one but White Oak Armory get very good reviews.

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

All my .223 Wylde builds have been more accurate than any other .223 or 5.56 build I have done.
      I have a 12.5" .223 Wylde SBR with Ranier Arms barrel that outshoots most 16 inch stock ARs.
      As stated above, White Oak Armory is a great source of quality barrels....

I have had good luck with Aero Precision too.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

I have a BHW 18" 3 land poly MLGS in 223 Wylde of course (i think thats all they do as well as the 3P rifling) its in the HBAR profile thats like .9/.85" under HG .75" from GB forward. And although its heavy I do absolutely love it. Now unfortunately I've only been able to test the avergae factory low end ammo. No steel case, With open sights. So i cant really report on accuracy yet. I'll be putting my redfield revolution scope on it once i get some bases for that rifle. And I'll be making some top notch reloads once i get a chrono I'll be ready to go. Im just a little apprehensive to load without one. First time loader jitters but ive got all high end single stage equipment. And stocked up o supplies... I'll try and post finding and results in the "AR and other semi auto" forum thread here.

With all that said I'm really trying to built twins in all my AR's and would like a second NEARLY identical rifle for 5.56/.223 and I would really like one of these. https://www.rainierarms.com/faxon-fi...-barrel-qpq-20 I got the email notification a few weeks ago, they WERE in stock. I like the length, profile, gas length, fluting, twist, and price isn't to bad. IDK if its good enough i might even ditch my BHW barrel if those are accurate enough just to get two identical barrels. And I'm typically not a fan of flutiing. IDK if these links work might have to copy and paste them...(ctrl+c, and ctrl+v for those who dont know)

I just checked my email and it was actually the 16" one and its still in stock. For $236.55+s&h
        Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 02-13-2017, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• Ten Ring
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

I have a 18in BHW Berral that so far I am not at all happy with the accuracy. It 1/8 twist I have been trying 68g BTHP I used AR-comp, and BLC2 no luck yet. Any one have any ideas????

Comment

• Blazin
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2013

OP: White Oak or LaRue for the win.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

Ten ring:
              CFE 223 powder. Try somewhere in the 25.0-25.5 range for the 68-69's. Mine is with Win brass and it's not a BHW, but 1/8 (5R) and melonited. And 75's around 24.0-24.8 again for win brass.... CFE powder has been working well for my loads.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                Warrior
                • Aug 2015

I've always wanted a Larue. Their accuracy is widely proven as is their customer support. Their rifles are way out of my price range but their barrels are actually quite reasonable. You can choose from the PredatAR (lightweight) or Stealth (heavy), both are available in 18" (I like that length too) for $225 (+20 for the M4 feedramps).

Comment

Working...
                X