• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ten Ring View Post
    It was fresh powder and the first I have used it have always used RL19 but nave been unable to find it was talked int to trying it. I am in the proses of opening a case with savage arms and returning the Rif for their inspection.
    Most important to is to find out if I did by either ignorance or Neglect cause the problem, so I can learn from it !!!
    TR:

Not sure if you will ever know. I have yet to experience a rifle manufacturer who will guarantee their rifles if someone handloaded the ammo. I doubt they will do the type of testing needed to determine exactly what happened due to costs.

You pulled the trigger and the side of the receiver blew out. Obviously you had excessive pressure. For a handloader this can be due to a bunch of things. The most common I have experienced via other shooters misfortune are the following.

1. Shooter used the wrong powder by mistake.

2. Massive overcharge

a. Shooters who think they can 'get away' with overloading for extra velocity.

b. Shooters who fail to balance or zero their powder scale. Most common with electronic dispensers but a balance beam scale that hasn't been leveled can also cause problems.

3. Bore obstruction.

4. Out of battery firing.

5. Squib load. Powder bridging in funnel resulting in super low charge that detonated when the shot was fired.

LR55

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Ten,

Quick question, are you familiar with case trimming? Can you confirm your cases have not crept forward over successive firings? To the point they were compressed by the throat and held the bullet too tightly when fired. This turns the chamber into a bomb.

Comment

• howl
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

My experience with 7828 in the .300WM was it went from fine to something giving way with very little increase. Also, if you are running at max with one data source you can probably find another source showing you're shockingly over max. I think y'all covered that already.

Seems like I remember Savages are supposed to vent out a hole on the action? I haven't had one since I got to looking really closely at the metal. My guess is you got too hot without knowing it and something gave way that wasn't supposed to due to a defect in the metal. If you consider the gun a total loss and it was a stock Savage, they'd probably be glad to give you a better answer.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I'm seeing a lot of problems right off the bat here.

1. 2 different brass head stamps are being used, presumably with the same charge weights.

2. Relying on a Lyman digital scale for throwing charges without checking charge weights on another.

3. Loading for a belted magnum that has additional parameters to consider that are not present with other cartridges.

4. Lack of specific data that is normally shared by reloaders, like case trim length.

5. This is a big one too: No mention of working up a load that I have seen in the thread. Maybe I skipped over it, but nowhere is it mentioned what your velocities were with starting loads going up to maximum.

If you are looking in a book and picking a max load, then loading it, this is a good time to step back and realize that a lot of things are missing from how we approach hand-loading and reloading. It is essential to know what the start loads are for the components you are combining for your cartridge.

For example, I load for .260 Remington as well. My Lapua brass has less case capacity than my once-fired 7mm-08 brass necked down, so I had to start load development all over. I would be violating basic load procedures by taking my pet load with the other brass and translating it to the Lapua brass.

When I see mixed brass from different makers, only max loads listed, no trim length, no mention of full-length versus neck-sizing only, particularly with .300 Win Mag, it's time to stop and get some assistance so these kinds of things don't happen.

.300 Win Mag has very strict minimums and maximums, since the case volume is so high with a long powder column, and loading for a belted magnum brings with it certain chances for case stretch that weakens the web, especially if you are full-length sizing without concern for your chamber's dimensions.

What was your headspace measurement for fired brass to the shoulder?

Did you trim to length?
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Ten Ring
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

Sorry been busy just getting back here (full length resizing) trim to length is 2.610 the. After cleaning and chamfering and Deburring I an bit less I sure. And from the three book I have sierra, IMRpower.com and Lyman 48th max load is 79.5 to 80
            Min was 74 to 75 and I was at 77.5.

Comment

• Ten Ring
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

Until talking to others on here I was never aware of the huge vearation in case manufacturers. I on any of my rifles have never worried about mixed cases one ammunition I was loading for hunting. Only for what I would load for competition or trying to achieve maximum accuracy, I have been reloading for me 20 years ( 20 years or tradition on interrupted by progress ) may be the case in this case, this being the only belted Magnum I have owned.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

What did your load work-up look like?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Ten Ring
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2016

That was the first load with that powder I had ever done and the only shoot fired with it

Comment

• Ten Ring
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2016

Probably my fault for not starting a min and working up but I guse I have gotten lazy when it comes to a round that I have loaded for a while.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Ten Ring View Post
                      Probably my fault for not starting a min and working up but I guse I have gotten lazy when it comes to a round that I have loaded for a while.

In this context, information sharing can be helpful to learn from others why the reloading manuals talk about working up instead of picking a load and going with it.

It takes a lot of pressure to do what yours did, well in excess of even 70,000psi. When you see an action blow out like that, pressures are in very crazy territory.

Is there a chance that you used a different powder on your bench?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Ten Ring
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2016

I guse there is always a chance but I only ever keep one power out on the bench and I keep the bottle by the power Triricler that in it .

Comment

• Ten Ring
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2016

My first thought was that the Lyman 1200 scale did not calibrate right. I have found one problem with that scale in the past. Witch is you can not have your cell phone in the room with you when you use it because some how it cause the scale and feed to keep bouncing around.

Comment

• Ten Ring
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2016

With rounds i reloaded for for a long time if I Change powder or bulet I will start mid scale as my start point and work up to max unless my group size falls apart or shows pressure signs. Than I work back down from mid way.
                            I have only had one rifle and power where them min load was the most accurate and that was my 22-250 with IMR 4064

Comment

• Ten Ring
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2016

Like I said 20 years of tradition on interrupted by progress!!! And may be this time it bit me in the ass. Expensive lesson to learn but at least if did not coast me fingers or eyes

Comment

• Ten Ring
                                Bloodstained
                                • Dec 2016

Bolt came apart can not get bolt or brass out of Barrel. Can not look at other tired cases for PSI sings because this was the first round with this powder I had fired.

Comment

Working...
                                X