• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Ten Ring View Post
    Like I said 20 years of tradition on interrupted by progress!!! And may be this time it bit me in the ass. Expensive lesson to learn but at least if did not coast me fingers or eyes
    Yep but I bet that next trigger squeeze is gonna be exciting.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Ten Ring
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2016

All ready pulled it and about 20 more it like riding a horse if you get thrown off you have to get right back on

Comment

• bigdaddyflo
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2016

By any chance did the bullet get crimped - or not crimped and slid back into the case during the clambering process, before firing the round?

Comment

• Ten Ring
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

That a new idea I had not thought of I set the die to role crimp in to the grove on the billet, but if the cas had be trimmed a bit shorter the others.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

I doubt any of the following are the cause, and I'm pretty wet behind the ears in regards to reloading. But was the powder trickler cleaned out/no residue? No copper solvents accidentally got on brass? No home brew case cleaners or anything I assume? If you were measuring case length with calipers they were indeed zero'd AND accurate at the length the case measurements were taken? That was a interesting point about case stretching and tight tolerances of the 300. Sorry to hear your misfortune. THIS is why i want a chrono before i even consider working loads up for smaller stuff... I could load some now but I'm im no hurry.

Comment

• Bwild97
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

TR,

Could you please put a small amount of that powder that you used in loading this kablammo ammo on a sheet of white paper, better yet some graphing paper if you have any? And post a pic of it here in this thread. I'm curious to see what you are working with.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

I also forgot to mention (I'm sure its not a revelation to anyone here) to weigh your finished loads to double check for squibs or double throws although I'm thinking these cases would probably overflow?

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
                  I also forgot to mention (I'm sure its not a revelation to anyone here) to weigh your finished loads to double check for squibs or double throws although I'm thinking these cases would probably overflow?
                  Glad that I am not the only one that does this.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
                    PJS:

Yes, a double throw with a rifle cartridge and it will overflow.

With a cartridge like a .300 wm, my bet is each round is loaded on a single stage press so the shooter can weigh the charge before dumping it into the case.

For guys who weigh the finished cartridges, you better weigh a bunch of the empty cases and figure out how much variance in weight you are working with. A case like a .300 WM probably has at least five grains of variance in case weight so take that into consideration when you start weighing finished cartridges.

LR55

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

I would indeed for my larger cases. I'm pretty persnickety i might even organize or group them by weight. I'm hoping to get into the 338 LM sometime soon hopefully. Totally digging that savage 110 stealth. Relatively inexpensive to get started in. The glass would probably cost more. Kinda all depends fir smaller stuff like 9 im sure i wont go full OCD. Thanks for the pointers, i can't wait to start stuffin' loads. But I'm VERY cautious about this. I've already been Elmer fudded once doing stupid stuff when i was a kid.
                      Plus i think ill start buying my powder in 8# now to get less variance in lot #'s i had no idea they varied as much as 10%

Comment

• Ten Ring
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2016

Sorry I have not been on ina while. I been busy at work and sick as hell.
                        The rifle is a Savage, I am awaiting to hear from them it has been there just over two weeks

Comment

• Ten Ring
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2016

IMG_0130.JPGhope this is what you were looking for

Comment

• Bwild97
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

Well a bit more of a close up would have been better. But damn that looks like a ball powder. Isn't 7828 a stick powder? 7828 is a very slow burn powder, even for a 300 WM. I not sure you could get enough of that powder in that case to create that kind of pressure.

After reviewing the load data in my Lyman 50th Ed. Manual it lists 74.5 as a compressed charge of powder and the max charge of 7828 for a 165/168gn projectile is 79.5gn. there is no way 7828 could have created that much pressure without some other type of issue, ie. An obstructed barrel. In my mind the powder you used in that load is largely suspect, if it were me in your situation I would destroy that powder. Maybe save a small sample if savage agrees to examine the rifle, and they ask for it.
                            Last edited by Bwild97; 02-19-2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                              Well a bit more of a close up would have been better. But damn that looks like a ball powder. Isn't 7828 a stick powder? 7828 is a very slow burn powder, even for a 300 WM. I not sure you could get enough of that powder in that case to create that kind of pressure.

After reviewing the load data in my Lyman 50th Ed. Manual it lists 74.5 as a compressed charge of powder and the max charge of 7828 for a 165/168gn projectile is 79.5gn. there is no way 7828 could have created that much pressure without some other type of issue, ie. An obstructed barrel. In my mind the powder you used in that load is largely suspect, if it were me in your situation I would destroy that powder. Maybe save a small sample if savage agrees to examine the rifle, and they ask for it.
                              BW:

It is a 'Super Short Cut' powder so it may appear to be ball powder due to the resolution of the picture. It would be the farthest from my consideration to think someone took one can of 7848 from an entire production run and filled it with a ball powder, leaving the other cans alone. The only thing about the powder causing the explosion would be grossly undercharging. Instead, I go back to bore obstruction. Could well be the bullet became one if there was a gross undercharge.

Bottom line is that no one will ever figure out the exact cause.

LR1955

Comment

• Ten Ring
                                Bloodstained
                                • Dec 2016

Like I said savage has rifle now. I really dought it was obstructed barrel !!! Was the first shot taken since rifle had been cleaned and put up after deer season!!! Unless IMR had packed power on wrong can. I was a new fan I broke seal when I loaded that batch. I will try to get a close up picture and post it

Comment

Working...
                                X