Conversion - 7.62x39 to make 6.5 Grendel Brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion - 7.62x39 to make 6.5 Grendel Brass

Im not sure if anyone else has posted anthing about this or if this is just common knowledge, but i thought it was very interesting and felt that I should share it with you guys. The video in the link below tells everything i know about this. He uses the hornady 6.5 grendel resizing dies I beleive to convert 7.62x39 brass into Grendel brass.

• Clod Stomper

Yes, this is a common practice. At least it was when cases were back ordered for months.

Unfortunately, you give up significant case capacity and case life. I have a bunch of necked down and fire formed cases, but I probably won't do any more when Hornady cases can be had for around $.60 per case or less on sale.

It is good knowledge to have in case of future shortages. I've even used steel cases as a one-shot deal. But that's me and I like to tinker.

Will

Comment

• pinzgauer
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Clod Stomper View Post
      Unfortunately, you give up significant case capacity and case life.
      Some loss of case capacity, but not necessarily velocity loss. Probably more of an issue is compressed powder loads with long bullets. But you do not lose significant velocity.

Reduced Case life? Maybe compared to Lapua. I'm seeing 6-8 reloads on my IMI now, and I usually retire them due to primer pocket looseness more than anything else. Not sure you'll beat that with Hornady or Wolf. And with Lapua being 2-3x the cost at the time it made sense.

Now, I'd just go with Hornady or if you have the funds, Laupu on one of the sales

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Originally posted by pinzgauer View Post
        Some loss of case capacity, but not necessarily velocity loss. Probably more of an issue is compressed powder loads with long bullets. But you do not lose significant velocity.

Reduced Case life? Maybe compared to Lapua. I'm seeing 6-8 reloads on my IMI now, and I usually retire them due to primer pocket looseness more than anything else. Not sure you'll beat that with Hornady or Wolf. And with Lapua being 2-3x the cost at the time it made sense.

Now, I'd just go with Hornady or if you have the funds, Laupu on one of the sales
        Thanks, I haven't really done any velocity comparison between factory and fireformed cases. I've been primarily using the fireformed cases for lighter bullets with faster powders so capacity is less of an issue.

I've used mostly Winchester cases and have had a few split necks. Probably just need to start annealing. It could also be due to using Lee dies at first. I'm still in the process of fire forming cases so I haven't had many cases fail. Just a few of the ones Ive fired multiple times.

From here on, I'll be mostly buying Hornady or Lapua or (hopefully) steel cased Wolf.

Will

Comment

• pinzgauer
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

The Lee dies seem to have the tightest necks of the non-button types, so that is probably working against you a bit with the thicker necks of the 7.62x39 fireform brass. The Lee's are useful if you need to resize Wolf brass and don't have the button set. My Forster die set works fine with IMI & Hornady, but won't size wolf down enough due to their thinner necks.

Early on I saw stress cracks in the necks which I thought were split necks, but turned out to be caused by deep scratches from the feedramp. As the rifle broke in, I softened those edges, the scratches went away and so did my "splits".

Comment

I honestly have not reloaded any of the 7.62x39 cases that I have fireformed. Back when Grendel brass was in such short supply, I picked up 2000 IMI cases when I think it was Weidners had them on a very good sale. I have probably fireformed 2-300 so far. I am satisfied with the accuracy I get while fireforming, and do not worry about velocity. The fireforming loads function the action just fine.

Since it became more readily available, I have purchased some Lapua and Hornandy brass.

Comment

Working...
            X