• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Niles Coyote
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2016

140 A-max in the Grendel... looking for a place to start

I have a bunch of 140 A-max 2nd's that I would like to use up.
    Powders on hand:
    AR-Comp
    imr8208
    Varget
    H4895
    Tac
    CFE223
    H335

Any one have a load with the above they care to share? Or a start weight?
    Will be loaded in the AR platform which is a JP Enterprise 18" and a PF bartlein 20", rifle gas on both.
  • pkee
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

I will be watching this thread . i am also looking for load 140g bullet load data .

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Start at 28grs of CFE. A max pressure load hasn't been defined yet. I suspect that it's somewhere between 30grs - 31grs. It may be a little more or less, so be careful.

AR-Comp
      imr8208 - burns to fast, slow velocities, suspected could be unsafe in 130gr+ pills
      Varget - can not get enough in the Grendel case with 120gr+ pills, no data has been documented in experiments with sub 120gr pills
      H4895 - same as varget
      Tac
      CFE223 - Best bet for velocity
      H335
      Last edited by cory; 01-21-2017, 02:42 PM.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• s3silver
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Max loads for all the powders listed for 120 class bullets are ~ 27 + gr. For 140 amax's I'd say it'll be safe to start around 22 gr and slowly work up.

I have some 140 amax laying around too. Might load some up just to see how she does. I'm thinking around 2200 fps...

Comment

• Threefeathers
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2016

I will also begin low, 140+ are hefty bullets for this chubby little case. I do just want in on the fun.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Bwild97 got some crazy speeds with 142gr SMKs, but I don't recall what he was using, maybe Mag Pro 2000MR and some others.

Do a search with the CSE and you'll find it using his handle and 142gr SMK as terms.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• T800
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2017

I've been doing a little work with 140 SSTs, so this may be of interest. I haven't found an accurate load yet, but I'm still working on it. Think I'll need to play with COL some to get it dialed in. I was looking for about 2350 FPS (20"), and CFE will do the trick if I can get the group size to shrink. Was a windy day, so accuracy may be a tad better than indicated.

As always, work up and use with caution.

Satern Grendel II
              COL: 2.250
              Temp 50F

26.7 AR-Comp - 2284 FPS, SD 7 (20") :: 2343.6 FPS, SD 7.4 (24"), 1-3/8" group

29.7 CFE 223 - 2327 FPS, SD 9 (20"), 1-5/8" group

Comment

• Bwild97
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

When loading 130g+ pills, the most appropriate powders to use will be: Win748, BLC-2, PowerPro2000MR, CFE223, LeveRevolution, and VihtaVuori N540.

Start Grains for X-powder

LVR: 27.5g
                CFE: 27g
                PP2KMR: 26g
                BLC-2: 26g
                Win748: 25.5g
                VVn540: ? (no experience)

Suggested primers
                Fed GM205m
                CCi 450
                Rem 7.5
                Tula.223
                Last edited by Bwild97; 02-26-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• T800
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2017

While 140gr bullets may not be the optimum size for the Grendel, they are certainly capable of being shot from it. To me the biggest issue is the amount of appropriate burn rate powder capacity that is lost in able to allow them to fit in an AR15 magazine. Nevertheless, I bought a box of Hornady 140gr Amax bullets that were on

Comment

• Niles Coyote
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2016

Thanks for that link!

I didnt see it till now and I just completed my first round of testing on my JP 18" barrel.
                    These are all just one round fired over a magnetospeed to see where I was at and watch my brass for pressure...
                    140 A-max loaded to a OAL of 2.250" using AR-Comp in Lapua brass and CCI #41 primers, velocity from a Magnetospeed.
                    24g=2169
                    25g=2241
                    26g=2298

Then I tested 3 each at
                    26= 2309 sd-4 es-8
                    26.5=2346 sd-3 es-6

I had a few fail to feed where they started to ramp up but didnt and needed the bcg to be pulled back a inch and then would feed in the rest of the way.

No shots on target yet, that will be next.

Comment

• rickt300
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

Those speeds are definitely stepping up to 6.5x54 and Carcano velocities.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

I'm planning on working up the 140gr AMAX in the Howa Mini bolt gun.

BC on the 140gr AMAX is higher than Hornady advertises as well, more like .600 G1/.299 G7 according to Litz.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Melglass
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2016

Anyone put more time into the 140s? I’m sitting on 3000 plus of them and would like to get something going with them. Also have a pile of 140 Nosler hpbt. Will be working with a 18in barrel.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Check out this thread linked below. There is a sticky at the top of the reloading forum which has data for 140 grain bullets. Was pretty common for people to experiment with 140 grain bullets when the 6.5 Grendel was first introduced.

Order for a box of Hornady ELD-Match 140gr have been placed. Will probably be few weeks before I have them on the leading bench at home, but this gives some time for planning. Will be testing this bullet and see what speed and accuracy I can get. Will be using the Magnetospeed for MV-reading. This will be done with the

There is a Google Custom search feature for the 6.5 Grendel. Very handy when your trying to find specific info or a past thread.

There is thread started by Bwild97 which has an awesome amount of information. Good data for anyone just starting with the 6.5 Grendel. Has info on heavier bullets.

Here are the drop box links to the Data chart provided by Seatlroadwr, A very big THANK YOU!! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88798310/Grendel%20Loads%20from%20Bwild%2097%20Updated.pdf https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88798310/Grendel%20Loads%20from%20Bwild%2097%20Updated.xlsx
                            Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-02-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Melglass
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                              Check out this thread linked below. There is a sticky at the top of the reloading forum which has data for 140 grain bullets. Was pretty common for people to experiment with 140 grain bullets when the 6.5 Grendel was first introduced.

Order for a box of Hornady ELD-Match 140gr have been placed. Will probably be few weeks before I have them on the leading bench at home, but this gives some time for planning. Will be testing this bullet and see what speed and accuracy I can get. Will be using the Magnetospeed for MV-reading. This will be done with the

There is a Google Custom search feature for the 6.5 Grendel. Very handy when your trying to find specific info or a past thread.

There is thread started by Bwild97 which has an awesome amount of information. Good data for anyone just starting with the 6.5 Grendel. Has info on heavier bullets.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...)-lots-of-pics
                              Thanks will check them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X