• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 68wicked
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

Barrel install instructions.

Whats the proper steps to install my custom barrel to my aero precision upper. My forearm is a Noveske and barrel nut. Shims or no shim. Readed something about using a solid shim rather then several thin shims. Head space has been set to my bolt. Hate to get something wrong and damage it. Thank you for all info.
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

i would follow noveske's directions
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• explorecaves
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

As long as you put the shims in the right place, headspace will not be an issue... Upper<-Barrel<-Shims<-barrel nut

Comment

• 68wicked
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2016

Thank you

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Those shims are for timing the barrel nut and, irrespective of where you actually put them, head space will remain unaffected. You would need to loosen/remove the barrel extension to change headspace, since the bolt lugs index off the extension. I doubt you could even put the shims between the upper and barrel flange, since the index pin would likely prevent seating the barrel.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you are very unlikely to be able miss-install your shims.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
            Those shims are for timing the barrel nut and, irrespective of where you actually put them, head space will remain unaffected. You would need to loosen/remove the barrel extension to change headspace, since the bolt lugs index off the extension. I doubt you could even put the shims between the upper and barrel flange, since the index pin would likely prevent seating the barrel.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you are very unlikely to be able miss-install your shims.
            Absolutely correct!

Comment

• diddlyv
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

Originally I was way scared of building AR uppers, turns out it is pretty much a joke how simple it is. Couple of tools are needed to to a great job. The Brownell Truing tool and some lapping compound to get the receiver square to the barrel. A brownell or Giessel Reaction bar helps for torquing the barrel nut. A torque wrench can be useful but the torque range is pretty wide and a cresent wrench can work in a pinch. Pretty much would take a gorilla to over torque. The aforementioned shims to line up barrel nuts so that the Forend is square. A little blue loctite to bed the barrel. I used some white on my gas block and red on gas block screws. Perhaps I was lucky as the barrel had a witness mark as did the gas block for alignment and the gas tube fit everything without any issues. I also used red on the Kmod hand guard mounting screws. I don't plan on taking that off before I shoot out the barrel, which will not happen in the next 20 years and beyond that I will be past caring.
              Queen of Battle
              Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Wow, you simplified it for the masses.

You'll need Heat to remove the red, and may damage the threads- aluminum..... Heat also affects the other HEAT TEMPERED alum. parts on the rifle- rec.'s, etc. Ask Bill A.

Always use the surface intolerante blue stuff. Permatex, or Loctite.

243 is Loctite, 24300 is Permatex,,, same stuff, re branded from same chemical comp.

If a need arises to take the barrel out- Bill A recommends Kroil oil to soak for a few days to soften the Blue stuff.

Good luck on the red stuff, John Spartan,,,,
                Last edited by sneaky one; 01-20-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

Lol. There are a lot of things in this world that are ez to do.

Until you run into a problem.

I build, restore and repair cars not things designed to control an explosion.
                  Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• 454bore
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

I've seen video's where they cut the shim and placed it between the receiver and barrel to get by the index pin.
                    That way the barrel nut isn't twisting the shim.
                    Shims used that way can help with the ramps not protruding too much into the receiver from a little too much truing of the receiver face also.
                    HP bullets can catch the edge if the barrel ramps aren't slightly receded from the receiver ramps..
                    Last edited by 454bore; 01-22-2017, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X