• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

Originally posted by WillD View Post
    Has anyone ordered one yet or thoughts on the caliber?

Might be a neat upper to own?

-Will-
    If the 223 is not sufficient, the 6.5 Grendel is. The 22 Nosler is almost a 22-250, but it isn't. If you want another .22 cartridge in the AR platform, that is one thing, but if you are looking for utility, that is quite another. The next step up I would take from the .223 is the 6.5 grendel. I have tried a number of other cartridges in the AR15 platform, and these two calibers serve a useful purpose and pretty well cover the spectrum of requirements that an AR15 can perform. I do have a 7.62X39, just because it is cheap to shoot.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

The 22 Nosler would have made a better SCHV cartridge in 1957 than the stretched .222 Remington Special.

It meets the original arbitrary mv requirements of the SCHV program, since it has volume.

Biggest downside is that magazines would have been larger, reducing soldier's load capability slightly.

It is midway between a .223 Rem and a .22-250 in performance. You really need more neck length on it to realize the mag-fed capability of some of the really good .224 bullets out there, like the 90gr Berger.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 204 AR
        Warrior
        • Sep 2015

I find it hard to believe that fans of a niche cartridge like the 6.5 G would hate on another type of niche cartridge. I think you miss the point of the round. The only thing I don't get is why chamber it in barrels with a 1-8 twist, and only 18" long.

My thoughts on it are I think it's a great idea, with a 1-12 twist, shooting 50's or 55's at 36 or 3700 out of a 24" barrel. I know they are saying 3500 with 55's but IMO it should keep up with the 22DTI, 22x6.8, and the other 6.8 variants and then some when loaded to similar pressures.

Not everyone needs to reach 1 kazillion yards with an ar. But an ar that's lazer flat to 300 is an awesome weapon for varmints and coyotes.

BTW, I own a 6.5, I think it's a marvelous round, but it was my calling rifle last year and frankly it's not great for that. Not flat enough in the short to medium range with the bullets that are offered. If someone could come out with a 75 gr vmax in 6.5 it would change my opinion of it.

Wait and see, I predict Nosler made another winner here. It will sell, and will overtake a lot of the wildcats out there. It will get necked up, down, and sideways. I'd like to see a 6mm version in 1-12 to shoot the 55 gr offerings, it would be a coyote hammer and outdo my 243 lbc with the light weights.

Flame away if you want!!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

No hate for it at all and I see its utility as described for a varmint slayer that gives the AR15/.224 bore a little more legs.

You still have higher hit probability in the much smaller vitals of yotes with better BC and flat trajectory, which is where the longer .224 pills come into play like the 75gr AMAX.

If they had designed it around the 75 AMAX or similar offering from Nosler (RDF varmint type pill), it would have been better. It does have more neck length which can be trimmed, so we'll have to see.

I do feel it has potential, especially since it's SAAMI-approved and supported by Nosler with brass. It's all a marketing game from this point onward. With the right marketing approach, they can sell it well I think.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 204 AR
            Warrior
            • Sep 2015

Yeah I hear ya, high bc is nice. But considering I don't normally hunt in a high wind it becomes less of a factor, and that laser 300 yd trajectory is nice because things happen quick when coyote calling and there isn't always time to range and dial.

Now I'm a bit of a hypocrite considering this year I chose the high bc 87 gr vmax over a lower bc but faster 55 gr bt. They both shot stellar but I bought a bunch of the 87s for under $6 a box, and they definitely kill stuff dead. But there was one time in particular I grazed one low, thinking it was a bit closer, and a flatter bullet would have dropped it.

All that to say I think this should be a great round with light bullets out of a slower twist and longer barrel.

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Nothing wrong with the twist. That allows u to shoot the light varmint pills as well as the 77 grain for target work. 22" pipe would be a good length. I'm sure before long you'll see anywhere from 10.5 pipes up to 24". Then will come the bolt gun builds. I haven't done a comparison yet but if it's close I'd just as soon have the .223 AI.

Richard
              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by 204 AR View Post
                I find it hard to believe that fans of a niche cartridge like the 6.5 G would hate on another type of niche cartridge. I think you miss the point of the round. The only thing I don't get is why chamber it in barrels with a 1-8 twist, and only 18" long.
                Flame away if you want!!
                No hate intended for the cartridge, but the 5.56X45 is quite effective up to a point, and the high BC of the Grendel picks up there and has really long legs.
                In Texas, it seems there is always a wind blowing when I want to go hunting.

Comment

• 204 AR
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

I have two 223AI's in AR's. From 24" tube I can get 3750 with 40 grainers, and 3400 from 50's. So if they can do 3500 or better from 55's, that's at least 200 fps edge considering the difference in bullet weights.

Comment

Working...
                  X