• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahillock
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Army Picks Sig Sauer's P320 Handgun to Replace M9 Service Pistol

Not 6.5 Grendel related, but interesting news nonetheless.

LAS VEGAS -- The U.S. Army on Thursday awarded Sig Sauer a contract worth $580 million to make the next service pistol based on the company's P320 handgun.

Sig Sauer beat out Glock Inc., FN America and Beretta USA, the maker of the current M9 9mm service pistol, in the competition for the Modular Handgun System, or MHS, program.

"We are both humbled and proud that the P320 was selected by the U.S. Army as its weapon of choice," Ron Cohen, chief executive officer of Sig Sauer, said in a statement to Military.com here at SHOT Show, the world's largest gun show, taking place this week in the city.

"Securing this contract is a testimony to Sig Sauer employees, their commitment to innovation, quality and manufacturing the most reliable firearms in the world," Cohen added.

The 10-year agreement calls for Sig to supply the Army with full-size and compact versions of the gun. The pistols can be outfitted with silencers and accommodate standard and extended capacity magazines. The firearms will be manufactured at the company's facilities in New Hampshire.

The Army launched its long-awaited XM17 MHS competition in late August 2015 to replace its Cold War-era M9 9mm pistol.
    More of article at the link: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...ce-pistol.html
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

I'm anxious to see what caliber they choose. I think it was a good choice due to modularity. I love my G20 but man those p320 are sweet shooters.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I read it was going to be 9 MM, I also read where the military has backed away from total use of FMJ pistol ammo and are authorizing JHP. The adoption of non FMJ ammo might be limited to non declared wars and by use of military police.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Color me underwhelmed.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Drift
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

What would Alvin York say?

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Color me underwhelmed.
            +1

Comment

• n9nwo
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

Have just held a P320. In many ways the P2022 feels better. But the advantage of the P320 is that a pistol could be modified for various missions. That includes swapping calibers.

One way to help with this is for the military to issue weapons and field gear in Basic. The service member then pays a deposit to cover the cost of the equipment. As the service member moves during a PCS, he takes the equipment with him/her. No more needing to go to CIF to turn equipment or get issued. Plus service members now are required to go to clothing sales to replace equipment that is lost.

And the end of service, if done with honor, the service member would be given the option of retaining the weapons and field gear or turning them in for the deposit. If the service member wants to retain the equipment then it is transferred to him. In the case of rifles the weapon would have to be made non selective fire.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Maybe the military should consider a PDW to replace all sidearms

Comment

Working...
                X