X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Commander184
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

Has anyone tried the 123 gn lapua scenar? It has the best claimed G7 for a 123. I had very good result with 8208 and my 24 inch lilja barrel. Not hard to get over 2500 fps. I just bought a box of scenars we will see how it goes.

Comment

• sirriccus
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
      The velocity your getting out that combo and your 20" barrel makes me want to break out the XBR for my barrel. I have 2lbs of it but actually found it to be slower than AR comp in my last barrel. I am going to give it a try next trip to the range.
      And mind you the temperature was in the 30's. She should be a little closer to 2,600 FPS when Spring comes around. Potentially even a little higher.

Originally posted by Fredman View Post
      Yes. Subtract .264" from each group will give center to center.

My thoughts are if 90% of your groups are like those, forget load development, go out and have fun! Golf balls at 300?
      Never tried a good ball before. Just hit a coffee mug at 1,000 yards though. Hit in 4 shots. One other shot may have nicked it, but the last one destroyed it.

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
      Yeah and his SD on that load is probably as good as it gets showing that this load is a winner.
      Just feels good to see the time put into it is paying off. Might get a little bit better. You never know.

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
      This is a shilen hbar. Worked a long time to get it this good. Your results are exceptional
      Thanks for sharing!

Originally posted by Rdavis View Post
      Here are a few pics of groups I am getting with mine.
      Handloads with a JP barrel.
      Now that's what I'm talking about. Outstanding. Can't wait to join the club.

Originally posted by Commander184 View Post
      Has anyone tried the 123 gn lapua scenar? It has the best claimed G7 for a 123. I had very good result with 8208 and my 24 inch lilja barrel. Not hard to get over 2500 fps. I just bought a box of scenars we will see how it goes.
      Please keep us updated on that. I'd love to see the results you're achieving.
      Ricky Raus
      Owner
      Elite Defense Systems
      HIIT Life Fitness

If you're in Vegas and want to shoot long range (1,000-1760 yards), get a gun worked on (polymer framed pistols especially), or get a workout in, shoot me a call.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. Yes, we've been shooting 123gr Scenar through 6.5 Grendel from the beginning. It's probably the main target bullet the Grendel cut its teeth on.

BC isn't much different than a 123gr SMK, and they both are hard to tell apart from each other side-by-side.

123gr Scenar G1 .527/ G7 .263
        123gr SMK G1 .522/ G7 .260
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sirriccus
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Welcome aboard. Yes, we've been shooting 123gr Scenar through 6.5 Grendel from the beginning. It's probably the main target bullet the Grendel cut its teeth on.

BC isn't much different than a 123gr SMK, and they both are hard to tell apart from each other side-by-side.

123gr Scenar G1 .527/ G7 .263
          123gr SMK G1 .522/ G7 .260
          I was under the impression the 123gr SMK HPBT was G1 .510/G7 .260. Any chance you can provide me with your source?
          Ricky Raus
          Owner
          Elite Defense Systems
          HIIT Life Fitness

If you're in Vegas and want to shoot long range (1,000-1760 yards), get a gun worked on (polymer framed pistols especially), or get a workout in, shoot me a call.

Comment

• Commander184
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by sirriccus View Post
            I was under the impression the 123gr SMK HPBT was G1 .510/G7 .260. Any chance you can provide me with your source?

Are we splitting hairs? I'm going for long range and I figured every little bit counted. The scenar and 8208 info seems a little bit short, atleast the threads I find are short. The Applied ballistics claims .265 bc

I never really look at the G1
            Last edited by Commander184; 01-25-2017, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• sirriccus
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

Are we splitting hairs? I'm going for long range and I figured every little bit counted. The scenar and 8208 info seems a little bit short, atleast the threads I find are short. The Applied ballistics claims .265 bc

I never really look at the G1
              I don't think that we are splitting hairs. The higher the BC, the better off you of down range. Something that small may not make a difference at 100-300 yards, but at 1,000-1,400, every little bit of help (especially wind drift) counts. I personally haven't utilized them is because how much more they are over the SMK HPBT. I may grab 100 and see what I come up with though just for fun.
              Ricky Raus
              Owner
              Elite Defense Systems
              HIIT Life Fitness

Comment

• Commander184
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2016

I havnt tried the match king yet. I started with a 123 gn amax. On first I'm impression of the scenar is much better than the amax. The scenar ogive is between half a thousandth and 1 thousandth different, where the amax was several thousandths different.

How consistent are the match kings?

Comment

• sirriccus
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2016

I havnt tried the match king yet. I started with a 123 gn amax. On first I'm impression of the scenar is much better than the amax. The scenar ogive is between half a thousandth and 1 thousandth different, where the amax was several thousandths different.

How consistent are the match kings?
                  I'd say that 80% of the SMK's are spot on from the OGIV. The other 20% are usually slightly over (.0010-.0005) which is technically better than under since you can adjust the micrometer die accordingly to top it off. The OAL of the SMK is terribly inconsistent due to the tip though.

I've got 500 123 gr ELD-M's that I was going to try to find a sweet spot for. I wonder how those are compared to the AMAX.
                  Ricky Raus
                  Owner
                  Elite Defense Systems
                  HIIT Life Fitness

Comment

• 1911man
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

I'd say that 80% of the SMK's are spot on from the OGIV. The other 20% are usually slightly over (.0010-.0005) which is technically better than under since you can adjust the micrometer die accordingly to top it off. The OAL of the SMK is terribly inconsistent due to the tip though.

I've got 500 123 gr ELD-M's that I was going to try to find a sweet spot for. I wonder how those are compared to the AMAX.
                    Im loving the ELDs so far in the limited amount I have been able to play with them for the Grendel. On my BHW barrel I loaded them to the exact same powder charge as my AMAX load for that barrel and it shot the exact same groups. Weights and lengths have all been really consistent. I havent had a chance to take it out to range to test that new BC yet but will soon. I have been shooting the 140 ELDs in my creedmoor for a while now and will not hesitate to buy them in every caliber I own. I am also playing with the 168 and 178 grainers in my .308.

Comment

• Commander184
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2016

I don't think that we are splitting hairs. The higher the BC, the better off you of down range. Something that small may not make a difference at 100-300 yards, but at 1,000-1,400, every little bit of help (especially wind drift) counts. I personally haven't utilized them is because how much more they are over the SMK HPBT. I may grab 100 and see what I come up with though just for fun.
                      I have had success with an ogive of 1.695 with the amax have you thought about getting closer to the lands? I just loaded 20 scenars on top of 28gn 8208 in lapua brass. I however loaded them all the way out to an ogive of 1.718. The oal is 2.68-2.71. I do see a light copper line on my magazine, but it does not seem excesive. Visual inspection shows a clear gap when the mag is knocked on a table.

I am .053 from the lands of my lilja with these scenars
                      Last edited by Commander184; 01-26-2017, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• sirriccus
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2016

I have had success with an ogive of 1.695 with the amax have you thought about getting closer to the lands? I just loaded 20 scenars on top of 28gn 8208 in lapua brass. I however loaded them all the way out to an ogive of 1.718. The oal is 2.68-2.71. I do see a light copper line on my magazine, but it does not seem excesive. Visual inspection shows a clear gap when the mag is knocked on a table.

I am .053 from the lands of my lilja with these scenars
                        What magazine are you utilizing? I've been loading to max COAL in my ELander magazines and it's barely 2.2640" and I still get some FTF issues. I ended up back it down just enough not to have issues cycling and it's doing fine, but it is an annoying-Robles to have.
                        Ricky Raus
                        Owner
                        Elite Defense Systems
                        HIIT Life Fitness

Comment

• Commander184
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2016

C products defense is the smoothest mag I have. The other two are stoners. I have never had a FTF with my rifle. I never had a problem out 100 rnds of amax with a coal of 2.270, maybe the polymer tip helped. It will be a week or two until I make it out to test my loads

Comment

Working...
                          X