• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newb
    Warrior
    • Feb 2015

barrel tuners

Through the years I've heard of people using harmonic tuners / dampers for improved accuracy. Now I'm starting to actually do a little looking into them.

Any one with experience? Thoughts?

• Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Seen only one in my F Class days. He played with the thing screwing it in and out for weeks but it made no difference to his results. A year alter he took it off.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Browning Boss is the only one I have played with. I have a Remington 788 in 7mm-08 that its pet load is a true 1/2 MOA shooter. Bought a second rifle in that caliber for a spare/loaner/backup and it had the Boss attached. To start off that rifle shot my pet load to just under 1 1/2 inch. A bit of tuning with the boss and I got that same load to 5/8 inch groups and called it good enough.

I sold the Browning to pay for other projects but I was able to tune it to the old pet load.

22lr match shooters I understand often use tuners as they cannot tune the load to their rifle through reloading.

Comment

• wraith1516
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Had a savage 110 in 30 -06 put a simple rubberband about 1and a half inches from the muzzle and it tightenedup the group about a quarter inch at a hundred yards

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Interesting, very interesting... Ive kinda always wondered abiut these as well. Saw them on the Browning BAR as well (i think it was) years ago. And I believe Ruger has one on their newer "target" mini rifles as well. I think most people who know about electronic frequency and harmonics in general would agree theres a way to control them or "filter" them out if you will with the right controls implemented correctly. rubber band cracks me up, I wouldn't rule it out i hope it works... Would be nice if it was that easy. Wish i had more insight than just confirming theory. But im still young hopefully some day. I do have a kinda simple clever idea id like to try and maybe patent one day kinda relating to harmonics. (I need another CAD machine to play with)
          Its not really a "barrel tuner" with regards to a adjustable weight but tensioning a barrel is yet another way to control barrel harmonics. Or shorten the amount of barrel prone to free vibration. All highly debateable, i preffer hand on experience. But many sound theories do pan out.

I know most hunters and target shooters probably just basic muzzle crown geometry without any "tactical" muzzle devices but it might be interesting to play with a tunable/adjustable weight or flash suppressor/recoil eliminator. And still have it clock correctly. Ill give you thay one for free...
          Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 01-25-2017, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• hikfromstik
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

I do know that gas tubes can cause vibration issues and effect accuracy. My gas tube on my grendel barely touches the left side of my upper ( clover leaf hole ) and bugs the @$!#& out of me . Total free float would be my Zen. I took the gas tube out and shot single shot to see if it made a difference. It stated shooting every group 1/2" or less @100yds . After I tweeked the tube as good as possible Im getting an occasional 1/2 inch and mostly 3/4 inch @100yds . So I'm a believer in vibrations affecting accuracy.

Comment

Working...
            X