• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt @ LSI
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Rush View Post
    Is there any chance in the future of doing away with the magazine and coming up with a hinged floor plate - say with a 3 round capacity?
    working on this ill let you know when something develops for sure!

Comment

• Swinestalker
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2017

Matt, I just put one of your little Grendel actions in a Lss stock, cut barrel to 16 and threaded it. The results were astounding! It is such a splendid little tack driver. There is something bothering me however. The mere thought of the little mini action in 300 Blk out, barrel cut to 10 in a Lss chassis with a Shockwave brace is keeping me up at night. For suppressed sub sonic work, such a rig would be a huge advantage over the AR platform. Please tell me the minis will be offered in 300 blk out?

Comment

• pajasonc
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Swinestalker View Post
        Matt, I just put one of your little Grendel actions in a Lss stock, cut barrel to 16 and threaded it. The results were astounding! It is such a splendid little tack driver. There is something bothering me however. The mere thought of the little mini action in 300 Blk out, barrel cut to 10 in a Lss chassis with a Shockwave brace is keeping me up at night. For suppressed sub sonic work, such a rig would be a huge advantage over the AR platform. Please tell me the minis will be offered in 300 blk out?
        If you reload just buy one in 7.62x39. You can load subsonic ammo

Comment

• howl
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
          If you reload just buy one in 7.62x39. You can load subsonic ammo
          +1 300 BO makes no sense for the handloader other than maybe personal preference.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Load 160gr Hornady Round Nose in 6.5 Grendel Howa Mini with suppressor.

I'm looking at getting mine integrally suppressed. It would be on the way already if it weren't for NFA BS.

You would have a 1000yd capable sub-6lb rifle, that also spits subs out super quiet, no need to mess with .300 Whisper.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Drift
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

Yah! 1 magazine pouch with 160 gr Hornady SPs, another other with 100gr barnes. A Holosun 515 red dot,a high end variable and a cheap thermal scope in your kit. It would be 1 rifle, 24/7, any weather; to rule them all!

Comment

• Swinestalker
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Load 160gr Hornady Round Nose in 6.5 Grendel Howa Mini with suppressor.

I'm looking at getting mine integrally suppressed. It would be on the way already if it weren't for NFA BS.

You would have a 1000yd capable sub-6lb rifle, that also spits subs out super quiet, no need to mess with .300 Whisper.
                That is a very interesting thought. Not sure how well that 1/10 twist will stabilize those long pills. The 7.62x39 is un attractive as I am deeply vested in 300 and don't want to add a caliber. I am currently working on a 6.5Creedmoor Howa build in LSS stock. My next build after that will be another Howa mini Grendel cut to 12. If That 1/10 would stabilize the 160 Pill, I"d be all over it. But I have my doubts. Feel free to chime in, I'd love to be wrong!

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Double check the Howa Mini twist in 6.5 Grendel -- Last I checked it is an 8-twist.
                  That is a very interesting thought. Not sure how well that 1/10 twist will stabilize those long pills. The 7.62x39 is un attractive as I am deeply vested in 300 and don't want to add a caliber. I am currently working on a 6.5Creedmoor Howa build in LSS stock. My next build after that will be another Howa mini Grendel cut to 12. If That 1/10 would stabilize the 160 Pill, I"d be all over it. But I have my doubts. Feel free to chime in, I'd love to be wrong!
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Swinestalker
                    Unwashed
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                    Double check the Howa Mini twist in 6.5 Grendel -- Last I checked it is an 8-twist.
                    Really? That would be sweet indeed!

Comment

• Stevil
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2015

Swinestalker its def a 1 in 8 and it loves heavy bullets. A mate and I loaded up some 155gr Lapua Mega's just to see what happened and the potential is there, this was just a starting load and was only doing 1900fps, we didnt chase any accuracy as seating depth limits it potential. this group was at 100m

Comment

• ricsmall
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
                        working on this ill let you know when something develops for sure!
                        Hey Matt, just checking on the hinged floor plate for the mini. Not pushing, just checking. I've not really had a chance to do any accuracy testing with my lightweight yet, but it feels great. All my dealer had was multi cam stocks so I got one and have a Boyd's classic on order. I don't mind the det mag too much, just the release. If I grab the rifle out of truck for a trot thru the woods I inadvertently release the mag most of the time. Looking forward to the hinged FP.

I have a rem700 I blueprinted and built for my son because he wanted a "Sniper rifle" like dads, way over built, it's not near as handy as the mini!! Great job howa.

Richard
                        Last edited by ricsmall; 03-23-2017, 10:57 PM.
                        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

One thing you can do is grind down the release lever making it less prone to activation.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Hunter307
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by jason miller View Post
                            Matt, is there any chance you could give any more info on who might be working on stocks for the Mini? I'd be very excited if there were a lightweight option- like the hi-tech stock on the alpine mtn rifle.
                            That is what we need, a bansner lightweight option

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                              Hey Matt, just checking on the hinged floor plate for the mini. Not pushing, just checking. I've not really had a chance to do any accuracy testing with my lightweight yet, but it feels great. All my dealer had was multi cam stocks so I got one and have a Boyd's classic on order. I don't mind the det mag too much, just the release. If I grab the rifle out of truck for a trot thru the woods I inadvertently release the mag most of the time. Looking forward to the hinged FP.

I have a rem700 I blueprinted and built for my son because he wanted a "Sniper rifle" like dads, way over built, it's not near as handy as the mini!! Great job howa.

Richard
                              I have not had an update on this, as soon as something hits my desk ill make it known!

thanks!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

Another simple solution for the mag release is to profile the stock so that the release is recessed in the stock bottom under the origin of the forearm.

I'm thinking of going that route with a Boyds.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X