• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrazy-Chris
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Worth it to work up 90gr Loads?

I have been staring at ballistics charts and the 90gr Speer TNT's on sale at Midway lately, wondering if it would be work it to diversify my 6.5 Grendel ammo.

I have used the 123 SST's with success on deer and plan to use the same rifle for coyotes, but haven't had the opportunity yet. My original plan was to just develop a 123 SST load I'm happy with and use it for everything; however, the tinkerer in me is wanting to fine tune my setup even further and try out this "varmint" bullet. I already have a lightweight .223 AR with a 1-4x scope that shoots 55gr well, but I keep thinking about how in the field I'm going to want my Grendel with the 4-16x for longer shots on coyotes. I want a round I'm confident in which is why I'm leaning toward just sticking with the 123, but I also see the benefit of the flatter shooting 90gr for shots inside 350yrds.

SO I guess to sum it up, talk me into why I need to start loading the far less pointy 90gr @ 2900fps in addition to my slick efficient 123gr loads @ 2500fps. For those of you who have gone down this route, are you happy with the 90gr loads? Which bullets do you like? The .19 cent TNT's are very tempting - any experience with these?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I bought a box of 90 grain TNT 6.5/264 bullets I loaded into Hornady brass. They are accurate in my 16" 6.5 Grendel and I tested them in water. I can't say how much pelt damage you will get since I didn't recover the core but I did find several fragments. The bullet definitely expands and I would expect similar results on varmints as the 95 grain V-Max. I'm not worried about pelt damage and wouldn't hesitate using them on varmints. At $.19 a bullet I'd load them for short range plinking and target work. I think I loaded my 90 grain TNT's with Accurate 2230.

Comment

• Bisley
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2016

You may get lucky like myself and have them shoot to the same 100 yard POI. The 85gr Sierras, 107gr SMK's, and 123gr SST's all hit within 1/2" of each other in my 20" BHW .264LBC. The 123's started off hitting lower, but a stouter dose of CFE 223 made them hit higher and even tightened up the group. All three bullets shoot well under MOA with little to no effort.

Try it, what do you have to loose?

Comment

• USMCSgt85
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2015

I have loaded 85gr Sierra's w/H335, IMR 4198, H-4198, AA-2520, to a COL of 2.200". Smallest group was at .290" and that with H-335. My Pact Chonograph gave out after 30 years of service so no velocity readings.
        Sight Alignment
        Sight Picture
        Squeeze...Bullseye!!

USMCSgt85
        2111/8531

Comment

• Casper77
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bisley View Post
          You may get lucky like myself and have them shoot to the same 100 yard POI. The 85gr Sierras, 107gr SMK's, and 123gr SST's all hit within 1/2" of each other in my 20" BHW .264LBC. The 123's started off hitting lower, but a stouter dose of CFE 223 made them hit higher and even tightened up the group. All three bullets shoot well under MOA with little to no effort.

This! I've been shooting the new load from Federal with the 90gr TNT with great success. It has the same 100 yd zero as my 120gr smk load and is within inches of it at 400 and even out to 840 yds. I did not expect it, but I'm pleased.

Comment

• 1911man
            Warrior
            • May 2015

Originally posted by Bisley View Post

Bisley, if you dont mind me asking. What is your formula with the 107 SMK and what kind of velocity are you seeing?

Comment

Working...
            X