• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keystone183
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Nitride-ed Criterion Barrel

Just a quick report... FINALLY got my PF Criterion Barrel in (11.5). Then finally got it put together......

Got it out this weekend, and wanted to do a little break in. Went through the beginnings of my normal break in procedure when i noticed (immediately) there was ZERO copper fouling. Was using butch's bore shine, and getting ZERO signs of copper. Switched to a patch of Hoppes #9. No copper. Then, just to make sure i'm not crazy, a patch of boretech copper remover. None. So.....would this be normal? A nitride barrel doesn't copper foul? At all???

I didn't shoot to test any real accuracy as i was just getting it dialed in and i was in a hurry But i did then take her out and kill a few pigs. So, accuracy good enough!
    Last edited by keystone183; 01-30-2017, 08:31 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I cleaned my 6.5 Grendel Shilen barrel a couple weeks ago and used some Shooters Choice. I got little to no indication of copper fouling. Most of the ammo shot through this barrel had been with CFE 223 powder (Copper Foul Eleminator). My thinking is it must work but when I went to clean my 16" Chrome Moly 6.5 Grendel I didn't get any coloration to show copper fouling. I don't clean my rifles after each range session but usually after a couple hundred rounds. I normally use Hoppe's 9 and patches and only brass brushes when necessary. Whether I got lucky, CFE works or the pressure curve and .264/6.5 bullets makes a difference I can't say. One thing I do know is I really like the 6.5 Grendel cartridge and my AR-15's.

I suspect your PF Criterion barrel has a hand lapped very smooth interior finish and didn't scrub much jacket off the bullets. I cleaned my Nitride Faxon 6.5 Grendel and was amazed how clean it was from shooting a few hundred rounds of factory brass, reloads and Wolf steel cased ammo. I'm sure not complaining.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-31-2017, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• keystone183
      Warrior
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      I cleaned my 6.5 Grendel Shilen barrel a couple weeks ago and used some Shooters Choice. I got little to no indication of copper fouling. Most of the ammo shot through this barrel had been with CFE 223 powder (Copper Foul Eleminator). My thinking is it must work but when I went to clean my 16" Chrome Moly 6.5 Grendel I didn't get any coloration to show copper fouling. I don't clean my rifles after each range session but usually after a couple hundred rounds. I normally use Hoppe's 9 and patches and only brass brushes when necessary. Whether I got lucky, CFE works or the pressure curve and .264/6.5 bullets makes a difference I can't say. One thing I do know is I really like the 6.5 Grendel cartridge and my AR-15's.

I suspect your PF Criterion barrel has a hand lapped very smooth interior finish and didn't scrub much jacket off the bullets. I cleaned my Nitride Faxon 6.5 Grendel and was amazed how clean it was from shooting a few hundred rounds of factory brass, reloads and Wolf steel cased ammo. I'm sure not complaining.
      If for no other reason that it is a fun little ritual.....typically i break in new barrels with 1 round, clean....2rnds, clean....2rnds,clean....5rnds,clean....5rnds,clean . And then maybe 10, clean. Doing this with my GB lilja, you could see the fouling decreasing as i assume the rough spots were worn down. Doesn't foul hardly at all now. Same with my 12.5 BHW. This barrel, i was worried that if it was fouling, it would be very hard if not impossible, to smooth out, since it was nitrided. Well.....much to my delight.....Not complaining at all....

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

I didn't do any kind of break in on my JP barrel but keep note of copper fouling, the first time I cleaned the barrel was after I hit 100 rounds and it wasn't as fouled as I thought it would have been, now I have to shoot close to 200 rounds to see any real copper when I clean it.

I know JP hand lapps it's barrels so maybe this has something to do with it.

Comment

• Trumpet
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2016

Where do you find the nitride barrels? I only see stainless on PF and on Criterion

Comment

• 1075 tech
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Trumpet View Post
            Where do you find the nitride barrels? I only see stainless on PF and on Criterion
            It's an option for a barrel ordered from PF.

Nitride Barrel (adds 2-3 weeks to order) (+$50.00)

Comment

• Trumpet
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2016

Gotcha. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X