• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigdaddyflo
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

20" Grendel Build - what length handguard

I am building a rifle with a 20" Odin Works barrel and am wanting to see what length handguard others have used for a 20" barrel. I have already eliminated any quad rails since they are too big and bulky. I am trying to keep it light on the front.
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

I like the longer the better so for my I will go 18 or 20 inch barrel and no less than 15 inch hand guard.
    I think I seen an ad for one that was over 16 inches somewhere on the net.

* found it.. 19 inches- (but, dang it is heavy...)
    Last edited by mdewitt71; 01-31-2017, 09:07 PM.
    ― George Orwell

Comment

• mdram
      Warrior
      • Sep 2016

slt makes a 16.5
      strike industries makes a 16 or 17
      there are some longer ones out there
      just some targets for printing
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

If you're trying to keep it light, I would go with a 12.5" carbon fiber or slim aluminum and be done.

I've built a lot of different 20" guns, and that combo works out very nicely for lightweight set-ups.

If you have a heavy target barrel, then you can do what you want with extended length.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bigdaddyflo
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

Thanks for the responses. I am also going to suppress the rifle so it will have even more weight out front - I just want to keep it as light as I can and still look good/cool. No one want to shoot an ugly rifle!

Comment

• Bobke
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

Just a thought, if you ever intend to use a Magnetospeed chrono, there might not be any room to clamp on barrel with an extra long hand guard. Only option is removal or a free standing chrono. Have AR319 Lilja and 15" SLR and it's a close fit.

Comment

• bigdaddyflo
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Bobke View Post
              Just a thought, if you ever intend to use a Magnetospeed chrono, there might not be any room to clamp on barrel with an extra long hand guard. Only option is removal or a free standing chrono. Have AR319 Lilja and 15" SLR and it's a close fit.
              Longest handguard I've seen is 19". I'm trying to keep the rifle light so I am leaning towards 15" - may possibly go as long as 17". This would leave 3"-5" of the barrel exposed - minus the QD-supressor mount. However, I personally won't be clamping on a Magnetospeed chrono - dont know for sure, but have heard it changes POI. I have a good free standing - shoot through chronograph.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

I am planning on 15" for my 20" rifle. Just cover up the gas block without going much farther.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Carbon is cool looking and light but, if it doesn't have Mlok or pic rail for a bipod attachment and sling mount, I don't want it.
                  ― George Orwell

Comment

• bigdaddyflo
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2016

4.44 oz. - wow, that is super light! But there is no place to mount a bi-pod when shooting on the bench. I am looking at 15" slim handguards - just haven't decided on which one looks the best - or even which one to get - any suggestions?
                    I saw this 15" one and thought it looked very unique...and it's 7 oz., but it's $399. A little more than I want to spend on a handguard.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

I like the UTG Pro Slim in FDE myself-

Or the M.I lightweight 15 inch (9.3oz with barrel nut)-
                      Shop firearms, accessories, and more at Midwest Industries, Inc. — all made with the American quality you expect and deserve.
                      ― George Orwell

Comment

• bigdaddyflo
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2016

I have a 300 BO with the 15" UTG Pro Slim, but black - and I do like it - especially with the suppressor installed. I was wanting to do something different than that. I do like the Midwest Industries and may eventually go that route.

Comment

• JaxsonsOldMan
                          Unwashed
                          • Jan 2017

You could always go Odin Works to keep it in the family. These look pretty sweet, and 7 ounces ain't bad...the keymod version is only 6.7 ounces.

Lightweight free float forends, using the M-LOK system. Forends are for AR-15 based rifles. All M-LOK forends include a M-LOK accessory rail and necessary installation hardware. We can help you customize your AR-15.

Comment

• bigdaddyflo
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2016

I have looked at buying this one in the past! And it is a good looking guard. I just wish it didn't have the front built in top rail - kind of looks like a rhino! I may eventually go with this to keep it "in the family".

Comment

Working...
                            X