• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fearless
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2016

Pennsylvania just legalized Semi Autos for hunting for big game

My Grendel gets to go hunting in PA this year it has been a long wait limited to 5 rounds in the Mags but that is more than enough! Good hunting as always.
  • pajasonc
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

As far as I know all that happened is it is now up to the game commission whether they can be used and what season's. From what I was told by those close to the situation, they do not expect them to be legal for big game, but that they will be legal for small game and predators/varmints.

Comment

• mdram
      Warrior
      • Sep 2016

The move comes a little more than two months after Gov. Tom Wolf signed into law legislation that gives the agency the ability to implement the use of semi-automatic rifles. It was originally believed that the Game Commission would allow semi-automatic rifles for small game and varmints, such as coyotes, to start.

But on Tuesday the board expanded the implementation to include the fall turkey season as well as bear, elk and deer.

For deer and bear, full-metal jacket rounds are not permitted and semi-automatics used for big game are limited to a five-round magazine capacity. The measure also carries a sunset provision that expires on June 30, 2020 to allow for a board review the measure.

HARRISBURG — The Pennsylvania Game Commission board unanimously approved allowing the use of semi-automatic rifles for hunting, including deer and bear, during Tuesday’s quarterly meeting. The move comes a little more than two months after Gov. Tom Wolf signed into law legislation that gives the agency the ability to implement the use of semi-automatic rifles. […]
      just some targets for printing
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• 1075 tech
        Warrior
        • Apr 2015

Good news for you to the west. Used my Grendel this past year in NY for deer and it performed well. The ability to get a quick follow-up shot allowed me to get two deer instead of one. NY also has a 5 round mag limit for big game hunting.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

PA has one of the largest populations in the US, with a very large hunting population historically.

This could help keep that tradition alive, since the market has shifted towards more and more self-loading actions with the popularity of the AR15 in larger calibers than .224".
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• fearless
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2016

I have heard of many who love shooting the AR-15 considering going to a Grendel or the AR-10 version 308 or 6.5 CM. Should Move a lot off dealer shelves. I built mine 5 yrs. ago. shoot safely

Comment

• TKO
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2017

No magazine restrictions for small game or furbearers as proposed:

Comment

• BoomBoom
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2015

Just another thought on the Pennsylvania semi use Is that there are many other semi weapons including our autoloading pistols out there that hold over 5 rds. So where is the consistency in the law if you only attack or ban it for one particular weapon. So you can carry your Glock for protection but you are in violation if you finish dispatching a bear with it. I know applying logic to a government restriction is unacceptable but just saying.
                .02 worth

Comment

• mdram
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2016

rules for handguns are usually diff than rifles. you need to research that
                  just some targets for printing
                  https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• BoomBoom
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2015

No I don't. First it is not legal now to hunt with a auto, semi-auto rifle or handgun in Penn. I said that there were other semi's that capacity was more than 5 rds that would all have to be included or possibly none to be addressed. This is all stated in the Pennsylvania General Hunting Regulations( page 18 for your research)

Comment

• TKO
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2017

What really sets my jaws tight is the .270 caliber/130 grain bullet minimum for elk in Pa. A 6.5 Grendel with a 129 Nosler would penetrate far better than any 130 grain .270 projectile. 0.013" smaller in diameter and 1 grain less in weight with a much higher sectional density, but deemed unworthy?

Comment

• pajasonc
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        PA has one of the largest populations in the US, with a very large hunting population historically.

This could help keep that tradition alive, since the market has shifted towards more and more self-loading actions with the popularity of the AR15 in larger calibers than .224".
                        Yep PA sold around 700k license last year.

Comment

• pajasonc
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by BoomBoom View Post
                          No I don't. First it is not legal now to hunt with a auto, semi-auto rifle or handgun in Penn. I said that there were other semi's that capacity was more than 5 rds that would all have to be included or possibly none to be addressed. This is all stated in the Pennsylvania General Hunting Regulations( page 18 for your research)
                          If they can't be modified to use only 5 rounds they won't be legal in PA. I think most autoloaders use magazine's you would just have to purchase a 5 rounder. I know that if you have a ten round clip and have only 5 loaded its not legal. I think there are methods to make something like the M1 garand only hold 5 rounds.

Comment

• fearless
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2016

I have already Installed 5 round limiters in my 10 round mags fairly simple to make just be sure the spring does not get tangled in limiter. 5 rounds should be more than enough if the human does it's part to cleanly kill anything. shoot straight Fearless.

Comment

• pajasonc
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

NO GO. Assholes went back on their previous vote. Funny thing is my buddy's dad worked as a park ranger and said from the beginning the people he talked to told him it would be for varmint's and small game not big game. What's surprising is they all voted for this in the first meeting.

Comment

Working...
                              X