Military Pistol Standard (Not a Pistol Selection)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Military Pistol Standard (Not a Pistol Selection)

I've been working on a white paper that proposes a drastic change in the military's SOP for pistols. The intent is to (soon) send this white paper to my congressional reps, anyone who is willing to send it to their congressional reps, and eventually get it published. Although, I have absolutely no idea of how to go about getting a paper published.

I'm posting it here to start the conversation. I'm also posting it here for the hordes comments for a couple of days before I finalized this version.

I've had this concept in my head for a while. However, I've seen no benefit in putting on paper under the Obama administration with the prospect of a clinton administration. However now with the Trump administration I thought it would be worth my time. Mattis being appointed as the Secretary of Defense was the final factor that gave me the motivation to put this work in.

Without further ado.

Last edited by cory; 02-07-2017, 02:12 AM.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Military_Pistol_Standard_WhitePaper.pdf

Attached is the final baseline version of the paper I'll be sending it out. Feel free to share and send to your congressional representatives.

Okay seriously this time. Here's the correct one.
    Last edited by cory; 02-07-2017, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

I assume you are pushing this for the USMC mainly....
      The Army has already selected its next pistol, ammo, and combat system. The Air Force and Navy have chose to follow same suit.
      It's a good write up but, being that I work in the DOD Force Modernization program with Small Arms, I don't see it going anywhere as far as Dept of Army.
      We have PEO Soldier and CDID for that.
      Good luck though.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

I should have mention that the Army selecting a pistol before I got this out kind of shot my legs out from underneath me. I haven't refocused my efforts on the Marine Corps, but that's probably the best course from here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

It's something that would make sense for Force Protection, since that has come to light more recently.

Nobody really did anything of benefit after the Major Hassan incident. I used to carry in violation of post rules and regulations after 9/11. I got certain CONUS intel reports that showed much more detail about the threats, to include militant groups who had stolen ambulances and were planning on using them for attacks.

We also had a tobacco smuggling ring in NC that was Al Qaeda, who were eventually arrested with arsenals of weapons and explosives in their residence. They were trucking wholesale tobacco products from NC to NYC and selling on the black market to finance terrorism.

We should have taken a more active Force Protection posture after 9/11, but instead, we relied on gate guards and vehicle inspections of everyday soldiers, while lone wolves like Hassan were allowed to remain in service and then commit mass murder on an Army post.

This would be an interesting proposal to get to SECDEF Mattis.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mdewitt71
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

I am just glad the MHS trials are over... it has been a long (and expensive) six years.
            Now on to manufacturing we go....
            ― George Orwell

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
              I am just glad the MHS trials are over... it has been a long (and expensive) six years.
              Now on to manufacturing we go....
              So it's a done deal, decision has really been made?

If so, welcome to 1986. I would like to have expected something much more forward-thinking in 2017, but who are we kidding?

Education levels have dropped so low, that nothing surprises me anymore.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

It's alright the USMC will lead the way as usual. haha Let's get this white paper some traction so we can get some forward thinking implemented.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  So it's a done deal, decision has really been made?

If so, welcome to 1986. I would like to have expected something much more forward-thinking in 2017, but who are we kidding?

Education levels have dropped so low, that nothing surprises me anymore.
                  If you ask me they really stepped on their tails when they let Sig announce it at Shot show..... Being selected and getting the system fielded are separated buy ALOT of time and procedures.
                  But, yes it's a done deal.
                  I know ALOT of Glock fanboys are hating it and complaining but, the fact is- It is what it is and the Sig is what big Army (as well as the Congressional Panel) chose.
                  It is a good pistol and did extremely well in the trials.
                  The key is Total Package Fielding (TPF) and Sig had the package that no one could beat.
                  ― George Orwell

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

It's something that would make sense for Force Protection, since that has come to light more recently.

Nobody really did anything of benefit after the Major Hassan incident. I used to carry in violation of post rules and regulations after 9/11. I got certain CONUS intel reports that showed much more detail about the threats, to include militant groups who had stolen ambulances and were planning on using them for attacks.

We also had a tobacco smuggling ring in NC that was Al Qaeda, who were eventually arrested with arsenals of weapons and explosives in their residence. They were trucking wholesale tobacco products from NC to NYC and selling on the black market to finance terrorism.

We should have taken a more active Force Protection posture after 9/11, but instead, we relied on gate guards and vehicle inspections of everyday soldiers, while lone wolves like Hassan were allowed to remain in service and then commit mass murder on an Army post.

This would be an interesting proposal to get to SECDEF Mattis.
                    Getting this to SECDEF Mattis would be incredible!!! Anybody have his email address? Seriously, it may be a pipe dream, but I'd love to see this get enough traction to make it into the White House.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by cory View Post
                      It's alright the USMC will lead the way as usual. haha Let's get this white paper some traction so we can get some forward thinking implemented.
                      I did get to help the local Marines here get the Close Quarter Battle 1911.... that was fun to play with (although I am not a huge 1911 guy).
                      ― George Orwell

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Getting this to SECDEF Mattis would be incredible!!! Anybody have his email address? Seriously, it may be a pipe dream, but I'd love to see this get enough traction to make it into the White House.
                        You'll want some more consensus and input across the board, to include that of CID investigators, NCIS, MPs, Infantry, etc.

One major concern they are going to have is accountability of military weapons that are transferred on and off post, as well as disgruntled soldier/Marine incidents.

Will the risk to benefit ratio favor "lone wolves" who were abused by their Chain of Command, or will it favor prevention of more incidents on and off post?

I recall an incident in the 82nd where some knuckleheads drew weapons and went and robbed a bank downtown in Fayetteville.

These concerns will have to be weighed and addressed. There are certain career management fields and units that this should be happening in already who are in a different trust level, but it also raises the question of equality and the ability to defend oneself, since the military has largely failed to enhance force protection in a meaningful way.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

You'll want some more consensus and input across the board, to include that of CID investigators, NCIS, MPs, Infantry, etc.

One major concern they are going to have is accountability of military weapons that are transferred on and off post, as well as disgruntled soldier/Marine incidents.

Will the risk to benefit ratio favor "lone wolves" who were abused by their Chain of Command, or will it favor prevention of more incidents on and off post?

I recall an incident in the 82nd where some knuckleheads drew weapons and went and robbed a bank downtown in Fayetteville.

These concerns will have to be weighed and addressed. There are certain career management fields and units that this should be happening in already who are in a different trust level, but it also raises the question of equality and the ability to defend oneself, since the military has largely failed to enhance force protection in a meaningful way.
                          I don't disagree here. However, before we have this conversation I think we need to understand that as long as we allow children to fight our wars (18 - 21 year olds) they are going to make stupid decisions from time to time. (Yes they are still children as was I when I joined at 18 because society has not forced them to grow up and accept responsibility for themselves at that point.) On top of that, the military is huge with Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen of all different backgrounds. No matter what command does, there will be incidents from time to time. Now what is to blame for it, a pistol, a 6 pack of beer, a lightly guarded bank, or the bad decision of an individual.

As much as I hated it, I didn't include LCPLs or Private in my suggestion for off duty carry. I do think it needs to be an earned privilege, which would cut down on a lot of your concerns mentioned above. Now on duty carry by E1s, E2s, and E3s I think should be at the discretion of their immediate NCO (read Squad Leader).

Let me add that I'm seeking as much input and consensus of qualified opinions as possible.

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
                            I did get to help the local Marines here get the Close Quarter Battle 1911.... that was fun to play with (although I am not a huge 1911 guy).
                            How do I get your job??? Helping the Marines, as an engineer select and source what they need is the dream job! However, I don't know if it's worth living that close to DC. haha

Comment

• mdewitt71
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

How do I get your job??? Helping the Marines, as an engineer select and source what they need is the dream job! However, I don't know if it's worth living that close to DC. haha
                              I got really lucky when I retired from Active duty..... 7 combat tours did help though.
                              Luckily I don't live in nor have to deal with D.C or the Pentagon except on tele conf or emails.
                              I tell everyone I get to play with new toys for my job.....
                              Did some EOD robots last week and will do some Thermal Weapon Sights tomorrow for a week.
                              ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X